Zebralight h600 mk2 issue

wolfey1

Newly Enlightened
Im trying to troubleshoot a problem for someone on a different forum. He has a zebralight h600fw mk2 that since he got it hasn't worked for more than a few minutes at at time. He's using zebralight cells in it and he told me 1 of the cells after 2 minutes of use the light shut off and the cell was really hot and won't charge in his nitecore d2 charger. He already sent the light to zebralight for repair and after he got it back it still had the same problem. I told him to try cleaning all contact points and try using it on medium to see if the light stays on for more than 2 minutes. I'm thinking of sending him a battery I know is good to rule that out but is there something else he should do first?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im trying to troubleshoot a problem for someone on a different forum. He has a zebralight h600fw mk2 that since he got it hasn't worked for more than a few minutes at at time. He's using zebralight cells in it and he told me 1 of the cells after 2 minutes of use the light shut off and the cell was really hot and won't charge in his nitecore d2 charger. He already sent the light to zebralight for repair and after he got it back it still had the same problem. I told him to try cleaning all contact points and try using it on medium to see if the light stays on for more than 2 minutes. I'm thinking of sending him a battery I know is good to rule that out but is there something else he should do first?
Sounds like a battery issue to me. I am sure ZL would have tested the light when it went back for repairs. I would tell him to order a new battery or two from a good source like Illumn.

wolfey1

Newly Enlightened
What's puzzling is that 2 batteries do the same thing. He mentioned that he didn't use the light for several months since he only uses it during hunting season so it was stored from from fall 2016 to fall of 2017 between uses. Could the batteries have gone bad just being stored?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it is possible but, unlikely. Did he leave them at a proper storage voltage and keep them in a storage location not exposed to temperature extremes(too hot or cold)?

Also, what about his charger? Maybe it is the issue?

wolfey1

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to send him a battery to test in the light. He told me that the light has less than an hour of use because of this problem shutting down. He said sometimes it'll only stay on a few seconds and sometimes up to 5 minutes. I'm guessing the protection on the cells is tripping and turning the light off. He got the light, batteries and charger as a gift and isn't all that educated on cell storage everything. I'm thinking that he charged the batteries full then had problems with the light right away and sent it to zebralight. Got it back and used it a couple minutes and put it away for almost a year before taking it on a hunting trip where he had problems with it while hiking down a mountain and had to use a spare light to get to his truck. I think it's a battery problem so I'll send him a good Panasonic cell and a few links to this forum for some good reading material on charging and storage.