Wuben        
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* LiftdT4R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NJ / PA
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Hey guys, I know Vital Gear used to make a C series solid end cap a while back which basically just had an eye opening for a lanyard. It basically made a 6P or any C series into a Twisty. Does anyone know if something like that is still available? I'm looking to convert a 6P into a twisty only for my dad. Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,386

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Hey guys, I know Vital Gear used to make a C series solid end cap a while back which basically just had an eye opening for a lanyard. It basically made a 6P or any C series into a Twisty. Does anyone know if something like that is still available? I'm looking to convert a 6P into a twisty only for my dad. Thanks!!
    I've seen the (rare) VG E-series twisty, but not familiar with a C-series version.

    You could do something similar with an OR tailcap + ZeroRez, though ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* LiftdT4R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NJ / PA
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I've seen the (rare) VG E-series twisty, but not familiar with a C-series version.

    You could do something similar with an OR tailcap + ZeroRez, though ....
    I think the E Vital Gear must be the one I'm thinking of. I saw them a while back and they looked like an original Surefire 6.

    Those are interesting and I'll check them out. I like something with a little bit of a cleaner look but I may just end up going with one of those because I don't think there's much out there.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I've seen the (rare) VG E-series twisty, but not familiar with a C-series version.

    You could do something similar with an OR tailcap + ZeroRez, though ....
    The tail was part of the body and it twisted on/off up front. Any that had a removeable tailcap were clickies. To my knowledge there were no Vital Gear twisty tailcaps.

    Lightknot may know. Heck he still has some VG switches and o-rings available.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 01-31-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    John 3:16

  5. #5
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,386

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    I'm sure you know that the standard 6P tailcap can be used as a twisty itself (ie, the momentary switch doesn't click)
    ... is the archimedes peak

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* Timothybil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The great state of Iowa
    Posts
    3,462

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    I would also be easy to remove the switch from the standard tactical tailcap and replace it with a hook eye type of appliance, where there would be at least one in not two rubber gaskets/washers and nylon insert hex nuts to tighten everything down. The appearance of the appliance would be left up to the user: bare metal as is, paint, enamel coat, powder coat, anodized, etc.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pikes Peak, CO
    Posts
    723

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Maybe like this one? (not for sale and please pardon the dust...)
    Auto
    Last edited by autogiro; 01-31-2018 at 11:19 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    ...a C series solid end cap ... made a 6P or any C series into a Twisty. Does anyone know if something like that is still available? I'm looking to convert a 6P into a twisty...

    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    You could do something similar with an OR tailcap + ZeroRez, though ....
    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    The tail was part of the body and it twisted on/off up front. Any that had a removeable tailcap were clickies.
    Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I'm sure you know that the standard 6P tailcap can be used as a twisty itself (ie, the momentary switch doesn't click)
    What is compelling about what the OP calls "solid" tailcaps is not that it is a twisty, though it is, but that in the right shorter cap makes the length of the flashlight considerably shorter, and what makes it more compelling, if it is solid and springless, is the lower resistance. As such, this style tailcap may be referred to as a zerorez or even a "shorty," (not to be confused with the eponymous nickname for a tail-less short body replacement, which is really the same thing, the tailcap becomes the body) to go along with the tailcapy nicknaming motif, ala twisty, clicky, mounty, flicky, rotary, dimmy, ringy, sticky, itchy, scratchy, et al.* One might say that all ZebraLight tailcaps are shorties, though they have springs and more resistance than the solid variety. I think there is some good info here, and better info over here.

    I'm just making this up, so YMMV


    *glowy, shroudy, gritty, grippy, knurly, slippy, icky, minty, tricky, nifty, McClicky, heavy, jaggy, snaggy, springy, tritty, shiny, spinney, snappy, litty, blinky, flashy, floaty, tachy, remotē, stealthy, grizzly, beefy, jelly, twofitty, fuzzy, sweaty, rusty, toasty, puffy, iffy, dinky, flimsy, squishy, wiggly, faulty, lengthy, boxy, really?!, ORLY, etc.
    Last edited by night.hoodie; 02-01-2018 at 02:33 AM.

  9. #9
    ven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    21,055

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Check out the triad tail caps at oveready, as archi said, go for zerorez and have a twisty. They have natural HA in stock, look awesome on the C2

  10. #10
    peter yetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,270

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    If you can lay your hands on a ZeroRez Mounty,

    Although they're as rare as hen's teeth, you can screw a lanyard ring into it



    It's a versatile system, but I understand there's no plans to make any moe exactly the same.

    I read somewhere that someone was making a plug to replace a McClicky which would do what you want. If i see it I'll let you know.
    P

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* LiftdT4R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NJ / PA
    Posts
    1,122

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    [QUOTE=autogiro;5180225]Maybe like this one? (not for sale and please pardon the dust...)
    Auto
    [QUOTE]

    Which old Surefire light is that one from? Did it used to be an option way back when? That's awesome!!

    Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    What is compelling about what the OP calls "solid" tailcaps is not that it is a twisty, though it is, but that in the right shorter cap makes the length of the flashlight considerably shorter, and what makes it more compelling, if it is solid and springless, is the lower resistance. As such, this style tailcap may be referred to as a zerorez or even a "shorty," (not to be confused with the eponymous nickname for a tail-less short body replacement, which is really the same thing, the tailcap becomes the body) to go along with the tailcapy nicknaming motif, ala twisty, clicky, mounty, flicky, rotary, dimmy, ringy, sticky, itchy, scratchy, et al.* One might say that all ZebraLight tailcaps are shorties, though they have springs and more resistance than the solid variety. I think there is some good info here, and better info over here.

    I'm just making this up, so YMMV


    *glowy, shroudy, gritty, grippy, knurly, slippy, icky, minty, tricky, nifty, McClicky, heavy, jaggy, snaggy, springy, tritty, shiny, spinney, snappy, litty, blinky, flashy, floaty, tachy, remotē, stealthy, grizzly, beefy, jelly, twofitty, fuzzy, sweaty, rusty, toasty, puffy, iffy, dinky, flimsy, squishy, wiggly, faulty, lengthy, boxy, really?!, ORLY, etc.
    I did not know these types of tail caps had all these benefits so thanks!! I'm wanting one even more but there just doesn't seem to be much available aside from the OR ZeroRez.

    Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    If you can lay your hands on a ZeroRez Mounty,

    Although they're as rare as hen's teeth, you can screw a lanyard ring into it

    It's a versatile system, but I understand there's no plans to make any moe exactly the same.

    I read somewhere that someone was making a plug to replace a McClicky which would do what you want. If i see it I'll let you know.
    P
    That would have been pretty much what I'm looking for. I imagine they're not too popular which is why it seems like no one makes them.

  12. #12
    peter yetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,270

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Oveready say that they will make some more, but I wouldn't think it's a priority.
    I might be worth asking Dan at OR if he's got an odd blemished one hanging around Or try the WTB on CPF.
    In the meantime you could do rhis..
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...zerorez-switch
    not pretty, but it works.

    Or borrow one and get a local machine shop to turn one up for you on a lathe.

    Or get a ZeroRez Shorty https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/...t-twisty-15mm/
    and use it with a 15mm dummy cell to take up the slack.
    P
    Last edited by peter yetman; 02-01-2018 at 08:17 AM.

  13. #13
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,386

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    ... is the archimedes peak

  14. #14

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    In the meantime you could do rhis..
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...zerorez-switch
    Since my earliest CPF days of lurking, it has always surprised and amazes me, and I love the effect of necessity on innovative CPF members of any skill or experience level. Extrapolating my personal experience of this here at CPF, it reminds me of the Vulcan motto, "infinite diversity in infinite combinations." I admit I find it more entertaining than educational, because, though I have many delusions (grandeur is one, like no one noticed), my own limited skillset is not one of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    not pretty, but it works.
    I prefer another way to phrase it, with only the intent to amuse: "it's ugly, but so are you."

  15. #15
    peter yetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Norfolk UK
    Posts
    4,270

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    "Sir, you are drunk"
    "Yes I am Madam, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still have a bottom like a moose."
    Or something like that.
    P

  16. #16

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    I hope that this is not too off-topic, but I thought that I would post the link to this excellent resource thread on Surefire tailcap/switches, as some of the newcomers might not be aware of it:

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...es-with-IMAGES

    Quote Originally Posted by night.hoodie View Post
    ...though I have many delusions, my own limited skillset is not one of them."
    I am of the same ilk. I can be an enthusiastic DIY person with the best of intentions, but my ultimate success rate does not necessarily merit posting. There is a favored local hardware store with guys who know what they are talking about that I sometimes have to go slinking to when my initial efforts fall short...

  17. #17
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,386

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Yes, on-topic and excellent link, thank you for posting that.

    The photo of the Z21 helped remind me of that particular part number, too ...
    ... is the archimedes peak

  18. #18

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    And working photos....
    Yesssssssssss
    John 3:16

  19. #19

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    There is another photo of the Z21, taken from a different angle, in my post# 190 on page 7 of the thread listed above in post# 16 (There is also a photo of the Z31 that never made it to the first, "photo page" of that thread). I apologize for not knowing how to link to a specific post.

    I have a non-lockout tailcap from a non-shelf-queen-worthy SF 12ZM (not a light you want to turn itself on accidentally in packed luggage with no circulation). I've done a Z41 tailcap swap already, and am considering turning the 12ZM tailcap into a no/low-res twisty. I don't know if this tailcap had a Z-number.

  20. #20
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,386

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    There is another photo of the Z21, taken from a different angle, in my post# 190 on page 7 of the thread listed above in post# 16 (There is also a photo of the Z31 that never made it to the first, "photo page" of that thread). I apologize for not knowing how to link to a specific post....
    This ... ?

    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php?p=4861155
    ... is the archimedes peak

  21. #21

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Yes, that's it, Archimedes. Thank you.

  22. #22
    Moderator
    archimedes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    CONUS, top left
    Posts
    13,386

    Default Re: Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

    Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Yes, that's it, Archimedes. Thank you.
    Sure thing, cheers
    ... is the archimedes peak

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •