Surefire C Series Solid End Caps

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I know Vital Gear used to make a C series solid end cap a while back which basically just had an eye opening for a lanyard. It basically made a 6P or any C series into a Twisty. Does anyone know if something like that is still available? I'm looking to convert a 6P into a twisty only for my dad. Thanks!!

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hey guys, I know Vital Gear used to make a C series solid end cap a while back which basically just had an eye opening for a lanyard. It basically made a 6P or any C series into a Twisty. Does anyone know if something like that is still available? I'm looking to convert a 6P into a twisty only for my dad. Thanks!!

I've seen the (rare) VG E-series twisty, but not familiar with a C-series version.

You could do something similar with an OR tailcap + ZeroRez, though ....

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the (rare) VG E-series twisty, but not familiar with a C-series version.

I think the E Vital Gear must be the one I'm thinking of. I saw them a while back and they looked like an original Surefire 6.

Those are interesting and I'll check them out. I like something with a little bit of a cleaner look but I may just end up going with one of those because I don't think there's much out there.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

The tail was part of the body and it twisted on/off up front. Any that had a removeable tailcap were clickies. To my knowledge there were no Vital Gear twisty tailcaps.

Lightknot may know. Heck he still has some VG switches and o-rings available.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also be easy to remove the switch from the standard tactical tailcap and replace it with a hook eye type of appliance, where there would be at least one in not two rubber gaskets/washers and nylon insert hex nuts to tighten everything down. The appearance of the appliance would be left up to the user: bare metal as is, paint, enamel coat, powder coat, anodized, etc.

autogiro

Enlightened
Maybe like this one? (not for sale and please pardon the dust...)
Auto
77bec1d90381b674eb1df074f82bd5f9.jpg

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
...a C series solid end cap ... made a 6P or any C series into a Twisty. Does anyone know if something like that is still available? I'm looking to convert a 6P into a twisty...

The tail was part of the body and it twisted on/off up front. Any that had a removeable tailcap were clickies.

I'm sure you know that the standard 6P tailcap can be used as a twisty itself (ie, the momentary switch doesn't click)

What is compelling about what the OP calls "solid" tailcaps is not that it is a twisty, though it is, but that in the right shorter cap makes the length of the flashlight considerably shorter, and what makes it more compelling, if it is solid and springless, is the lower resistance. As such, this style tailcap may be referred to as a zerorez or even a "shorty," (not to be confused with the eponymous nickname for a tail-less short body replacement, which is really the same thing, the tailcap becomes the body) to go along with the tailcapy nicknaming motif, ala twisty, clicky, mounty, flicky, rotary, dimmy, ringy, sticky, itchy, scratchy, et al.* One might say that all ZebraLight tailcaps are shorties, though they have springs and more resistance than the solid variety. I think there is some good info here, and better info over here.

I'm just making this up, so YMMV

*glowy, shroudy, gritty, grippy, knurly, slippy, icky, minty, tricky, nifty, McClicky, heavy, jaggy, snaggy, springy, tritty, shiny, spinney, snappy, litty, blinky, flashy, floaty, tachy, remotē, stealthy, grizzly, beefy, jelly, twofitty, fuzzy, sweaty, rusty, toasty, puffy, iffy, dinky, flimsy, squishy, wiggly, faulty, lengthy, boxy, really?!, ORLY, etc.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Check out the triad tail caps at oveready, as archi said, go for zerorez and have a twisty. They have natural HA in stock, look awesome on the C2:)

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can lay your hands on a ZeroRez Mounty,
mounty.jpg

Although they're as rare as hen's teeth, you can screw a lanyard ring into it

mounty2.jpg

It's a versatile system, but I understand there's no plans to make any moe exactly the same.

I read somewhere that someone was making a plug to replace a McClicky which would do what you want. If i see it I'll let you know.
P

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe like this one? (not for sale and please pardon the dust...)
Auto
Which old Surefire light is that one from? Did it used to be an option way back when? That's awesome!!

What is compelling about what the OP calls "solid" tailcaps is not that it is a twisty, though it is, but that in the right shorter cap makes the length of the flashlight considerably shorter, and what makes it more compelling, if it is solid and springless, is the lower resistance. As such, this style tailcap may be referred to as a zerorez or even a "shorty," (not to be confused with the eponymous nickname for a tail-less short body replacement, which is really the same thing, the tailcap becomes the body) to go along with the tailcapy nicknaming motif, ala twisty, clicky, mounty, flicky, rotary, dimmy, ringy, sticky, itchy, scratchy, et al.* One might say that all ZebraLight tailcaps are shorties, though they have springs and more resistance than the solid variety. I think there is some good info here, and better info over here.

I'm just making this up, so YMMV

*glowy, shroudy, gritty, grippy, knurly, slippy, icky, minty, tricky, nifty, McClicky, heavy, jaggy, snaggy, springy, tritty, shiny, spinney, snappy, litty, blinky, flashy, floaty, tachy, remotē, stealthy, grizzly, beefy, jelly, twofitty, fuzzy, sweaty, rusty, toasty, puffy, iffy, dinky, flimsy, squishy, wiggly, faulty, lengthy, boxy, really?!, ORLY, etc.

I did not know these types of tail caps had all these benefits so thanks!! I'm wanting one even more but there just doesn't seem to be much available aside from the OR ZeroRez.

If you can lay your hands on a ZeroRez Mounty,

Although they're as rare as hen's teeth, you can screw a lanyard ring into it

It's a versatile system, but I understand there's no plans to make any moe exactly the same.

I read somewhere that someone was making a plug to replace a McClicky which would do what you want. If i see it I'll let you know.
P

That would have been pretty much what I'm looking for. I imagine they're not too popular which is why it seems like no one makes them.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready say that they will make some more, but I wouldn't think it's a priority.
I might be worth asking Dan at OR if he's got an odd blemished one hanging around Or try the WTB on CPF.
In the meantime you could do rhis..
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?419307-Poor-man-s-zerorez-switch
not pretty, but it works.

Or borrow one and get a local machine shop to turn one up for you on a lathe.

Or get a ZeroRez Shorty https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/torchlab-zerorez-shorty-z41-brass-insert-twisty-15mm/
and use it with a 15mm dummy cell to take up the slack.
P

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened

Since my earliest CPF days of lurking, it has always surprised and amazes me, and I love the effect of necessity on innovative CPF members of any skill or experience level. Extrapolating my personal experience of this here at CPF, it reminds me of the Vulcan motto, "infinite diversity in infinite combinations." I admit I find it more entertaining than educational, because, though I have many delusions (grandeur is one, like no one noticed), my own limited skillset is not one of them.

not pretty, but it works.

I prefer another way to phrase it, with only the intent to amuse: "it's ugly, but so are you."

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Sir, you are drunk"
"Yes I am Madam, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still have a bottom like a moose."
Or something like that.
P

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that this is not too off-topic, but I thought that I would post the link to this excellent resource thread on Surefire tailcap/switches, as some of the newcomers might not be aware of it:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...st-of-Surefire-s-Tailcap-Switches-with-IMAGES

...though I have many delusions, my own limited skillset is not one of them."

I am of the same ilk. I can be an enthusiastic DIY person with the best of intentions, but my ultimate success rate does not necessarily merit posting. There is a favored local hardware store with guys who know what they are talking about that I sometimes have to go slinking to when my initial efforts fall short...

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, on-topic and excellent link, thank you for posting that.

The photo of the Z21 helped remind me of that particular part number, too ... :)

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is another photo of the Z21, taken from a different angle, in my post# 190 on page 7 of the thread listed above in post# 16 (There is also a photo of the Z31 that never made it to the first, "photo page" of that thread). I apologize for not knowing how to link to a specific post.

I have a non-lockout tailcap from a non-shelf-queen-worthy SF 12ZM (not a light you want to turn itself on accidentally in packed luggage with no circulation). I've done a Z41 tailcap swap already, and am considering turning the 12ZM tailcap into a no/low-res twisty. I don't know if this tailcap had a Z-number.