EAGTAC        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

Default Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

Just found this on YouTube. I wonder if it's going to have hard output drop like their new lights?

https://youtu.be/jQYiKZgQiAM

Default Re: Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

I hope they come with good tint (without any purple, green or blue) just white light.

18650 handles current much better than cr123 and the fury has decent thermal mass so I wouldn't expect too much drop.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    I hope they come with good tint (without any purple, green or blue) just white light.
    Surefire may not be the company for you if you are particular about tints.

Well I (was) originally a Surefire guy before I make the move to malkoff and Zebralight, Lumintop, etc...

It is the only brand I can't resist! lol
    My first HighEnd light was a Surefire! So I just can't resist them and the first reason that makes me convert to other brands is Batteries! So I had to find a brand that takes 18650/Rcr123 and I did and found Zebralight my best manufacturer now!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Nichia! View Post
    Well I (was) originally a Surefire guy before I make the move to malkoff and Zebralight, Lumintop, etc...

It is the only brand I can't resist! lol
    My first HighEnd light was a Surefire! So I just can't resist them and the first reason that makes me convert to other brands is Batteries! So I had to find a brand that takes 18650/Rcr123 and I did and found Zebralight my best manufacturer now!
    Yeah, they make some nice lights. Unfortunately they tend to only be offered in greenish cool white. I hear some of the new models are a bit better though. The E1B MV, EDCL1-T, EDCL2-T, and Tactician are supposed to be descent and only have a hint of yellowish green. Keep in mind the tint lottery is always is play too so I am sure there is some variation between samples.

Yeah, it is nice to see SF offering more rechargeable options finally.

Zebralight is one of my favourites too.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    18650 handles current much better than cr123 and the fury has decent thermal mass so I wouldn't expect too much drop.
    This is true, of course, but I'm still betting there is a significant step down up front. I say this for thermal reasons, if nothing else. On primaries, it is rated for 1200lm. This will require a massive step down inside of two minutes, lest the cells overheat.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

The Surefire Fury DFT Tactical is now shipping from several suppliers, although it still hasn't been listed on the SF website.

Prices range from $149 upwards.

Listed as 1500 lumens from a 18650 battery (runtime of 1.5hrs) and 1200 lumens if powered by 2 x CR123a's (runtime of 1.25hrs).

Shows a beam of 300/270m depending on fuel.

I expect that there will be a dual output or IntelliBeam version available in the future.

Glad SF starts getting into the 18650 market.

Ok. I might just want this one. Have not bought any lights for myself since the SF UM2 in November of last year. I like the simplicity of one mode and crazy firepower. Perhaps I'll get this in 2 months for Father's Day. I do happen to have an Orbtronic 3500 sitting around w/ nowhere to go...
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kj2 View Post
    Glad SF starts getting into the 18650 market.
    Finally
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Did anyone noticed there are two different bodies for this light? in fact, the pictures in this thread are different. Look at the bezel. one is sculptured, one is smooth. Also, one light has a clickie switch, one is tactical(no click), depending on whos description you read.

I much prefer smooth bezels. I do hope that is the case! Well, I'm continuing to sell off a bunch of lights at the auction site. Perhaps I'll have enough cheddar to make this light happen sooner. I think I'd just harvest the supplied CR123s for use in my UM2 and throw that 18650 in there day one.
    I have more than I need, but not as many as I want.

Surefire owner since 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by cody12 View Post
    Did anyone noticed there are two different bodies for this light? in fact, the pictures in this thread are different. Look at the bezel. one is sculptured, one is smooth. Also, one light has a clickie switch, one is tactical(no click), depending on whos description you read.
    Looking on B&H's site, it looks like there are two models, though both have the same smooth bezel in the photos:

- "FURY-IB-DF" which is 15/1500 lumens, IntelliBeam, $199, backordered at B&H

- "FURY-DFT" which is 1500 lumens, $179, in stock at B&H
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I wonder if it comes with a Surefire branded 18650?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I wonder if it comes with a Surefire branded 18650?
    The above packaging indicates that it is supplied with 2 x CR123A's.

Flashaholic*

I received mine from B&H Friday and here's my report so far. The DFT Tactical in the package is the one on the right in the picture with the notched bezel, they are relieved and smooth like a slotted screwdriver and do not snag on clothing. Surefire CR123's are included, you will need to supply your own 18650. I already have SF18650s 2600+3400mah on hand. mine has a tactical clicky, which I like. it has enough travel that you can use it easily as a momentary switch without clicking it on. No problem there atleast for me as its just like my Peacekeepers.

As for brightness this is a beast, portable night-sun bright with a extremely noticeable difference from the peacekeepers in power, tint is sight purple with a nice hotspot and smooth transition to the spill. reflector is smoother than my Lawman and peacekeepers. Purple tint AR refective glass also like the Lawman-Fury P3Xs. Knurling is very grippy much better than the peacekeeper (my only real complaint about them).

Now for the manufacturing problem I encountered, when I tried to put an 18650 in mine it wouldn't fit, cr123s fit fine but not the 18650. First I thought I ordered the wrong light or was sent the wrong one but upon closer inspection of the tail end I noticed the thread protection/negative contact collar was pressed in cockeyed so that one edge instead of sliding fully down it was hung up on the inside of the battery tube and made the middle of the collar compress like a Ferrule/rivet and would not let the 18650 battery pass by. I fixed it easily enough with a tapered impact socket that fit in and gently tapped it down in place, problem solved. If Surefire used a 18650 sized Go-NoGo gauge that would have been spotted in a second. Since the cr123s slid right in no one noticed. This could happed on any light but I wanted to get it out there to give members a heads up.

I really do like this light and its a nice upgrade from the 600 lumen models

It would also be nice if SF started an upgrade program for The Peacekeepers/fury models. Maybe make the upgrade head 1200 lumens only so it wouldn't hurt Fury sales. We can always Hope
    Last edited by Vinniec5; 04-30-2018 at 11:29 AM.

*Flashaholic*

I am more of a visual learner.. Both lumens wise and that 18650 insertion problem.

Can you fire it up next to a Malkoff Hound Dog or such. Or some other well-known reference. Like the 320 lumen G2x Pro for example.

Second question, do the lumens drop with time, after 10-15 minutes?
    Last edited by etc; 04-30-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Received mine today; 18650 fits; but will blink whenever activated and not actually turn on. So not sure if my battery is bad or not. I’m going camping so I will use it tonight and see how it works!

Quote Originally Posted by kssmith View Post
    Received mine today; 18650 fits; but will blink whenever activated and not actually turn on. So not sure if my battery is bad or not. I’m going camping so I will use it tonight and see how it works!
    Pics?

Default Surefire Fury 2018 dual fuel 18650/Cr123

Here are some quick ones; I’ll see if I can get some beam shots. The head wasn’t glued on mine, looks like it was supposed to be, but not fully sealed. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1525122627.207205.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1525122638.383298.jpgImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1525122652.967781.jpg
    Last edited by kssmith; 04-30-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kssmith View Post
    ... but will blink whenever activated and not actually turn on.
    Would you mind saying a few more words about this? I'm not clear on what you mean. Also, any guesses about the emitter?

Sorry; where we are we have no phone service. So; I have an Olight 2600 battery; I think the battery is defective. I just got it, and it took forever to charge. Anyway; when I first put it in the Fury; the light would give a real quick flash, and never actually work. This was the same for momentary and constant on.

Last night I stopped at a store and they had some cheap 2000mah batteries; I got these and charged them, and the light functioned flawlessly. So I really think the battery I first used is bad. Nothing with the light.

Flashaholic*

I haven't had time to run it steady for a step-down test yet, probably this weekend. i'll see what I can work out trying to post pics here, as I haven't posted any in a long while. I could use a 600 lumen peacekeeper as a comparison model, I don't have a G2x in my arsenal. Didn't even think to check if the head was glued on, need to check that asap

*Flashaholic*

So surefire reluctantly woke up to the reality that nobody outside of gov wants to run CR123A cells and discard them, that 99% of people in the game of high-powered lumens devices use 18650s and such.. it's about time.

I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    So surefire reluctantly woke up to the reality that nobody outside of gov wants to run CR123A cells and discard them, that 99% of people in the game of high-powered lumens devices use 18650s and such.. it's about time.

I suppose it's a step in the right direction.
    I'm excited about 18650 powered Surefires. I've also wanted to try Intellibeam. That these two have met in one device is very tempting, but I still have questions about this light.

Two CR123's would be unacceptable, even at 1200 lumens, as this would require about 3.5 amps and would be dangerous unless there was a quick, massive step down. You can get 1500 lumens from an 18650 much more safely, but I'd like to have clear expectations about the output curve and internal heat sinking mechanisms.

I'd also like to know which emitter Surefire has chosen for this model. Can anyone help with these questions?

*Flashaholic*

I will probably buy this model in a year or so when prices come down a bit and it's on the used market.

I have the G2x Pro as my only Surefire at this point and to be perfectly honest, I am really pleased with it. It's very light, durable, nothing breaks and you shift between high-lux 15 lumen mode and 320 lumen mode -- and you get great runtime with the 1x16650 cell.

This light is even better, but I do have to know it has any thermal management, meaning it runs x lumens for y minutes after which it steps down by 30%.

If it has dual modes and takes 18650 and maintains 800 lumens after the thermal activation, then it is a winner.
    Last edited by etc; 05-02-2018 at 07:20 PM.

OK, who is working on a thorough review for us?

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    I am more of a visual learner.. Both lumens wise and that 18650 insertion problem.

Can you fire it up next to a Malkoff Hound Dog or such. Or some other well-known reference. Like the 320 lumen G2x Pro for example.

Second question, do the lumens drop with time, after 10-15 minutes?
    What are the equivalent output models for those comparisons?

Flashaholic*

SF has released info that certain 18650's cannot handle the current draw of this light, and that the light will trip the protection circuits in these 18650's. To run the light, the 18650 needs to have a rated 5 amp discharge rate. The SF 18650's are 6A rated. I've been using a Felix 3500mah cell without issues. SF is running a special for purchasers of the light (as this issue wasn't laid out in the manual). Contact SF for further info.
    Last edited by dano; 05-11-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    There's more to a light than its output.

CPF Member 13...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast