Reylight Ti Lan Switch problem

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Ti Lan on Amazon in November. The switch started to get unreliable after about a week. I cleaned it with a qtip and re-assembled it. It didn't help and the switch got worse quickly. Now it won't turn on with out shaking or tapping it on something. Once I get it turned on, sometimes it changes modes if I move it. Any ideas for repairing it?

scintillator

Enlightened
Reason I asked is i took the clip of and had intermittent switch problems.
Made sure the clip is seated nicely,a little portion of the brass screw in switch housing should protrude enough to keep the the pocket clip centered.
Did you disassemble the light by any chance?

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I haven't taken the light apart. I will try flattening the washer part of the pocket clip. It bends so easily that I have had to fix it three times already. I will also look for the brass screw. Thanks for all the guidance.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
A squirt of Deoxit D Series or Deoxit Gold on the contacts and in the switch mechanism can't hurt either and not only will often resolve problems but, will lubricate and prevent problems down the line.

pc_light

Enlightened
I purchased a Ti Lan on Amazon in November. The switch started to get unreliable after about a week. I cleaned it with a qtip and re-assembled it. It didn't help and the switch got worse quickly. Now it won't turn on with out shaking or tapping it on something. Once I get it turned on, sometimes it changes modes if I move it. Any ideas for repairing it?
Mine had a "gritty" feeling at first, like metal scrapping metal. I determined that there's too much side-to-side play with the button as it travels up and down.

I put a piece of (Kapton) tape in the cylinder space to take up any wiggle and it's much better now. I've heard some people making cylindrical sleeves out of thin Teflon sheets.

Several people have provided switch issue feedback to Reylight that will be addressed for the next Rev. not sure about existing lights though.

Ladder31

Newly Enlightened
Be very careful trying to flatten out the washer portion of the clip. I managed to break it while trying to flatten it out. I'm really hoping Rey makes the new pocket clip available to those of us with older generation lights.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
All these suggestions have been very helpful. I took everything apart and cleaned all the threads. There was a ton of grease and grit from the titanium on titanium spalling. It seems to be working reliably now. I think it will take very careful and regular maintenance to keep this light functioning. I will try some teflon tape to keep the switch from binding. I hope for a pocket clip replacement, too. Thanks again.

BazzH

Newly Enlightened
The maker (you can find him on the other forum) will send you a new switch free if you contact him. If the problems persist, of course. In the mean time, a version 3 is out with a better switch.

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
The maker (you can find him on the other forum) will send you a new switch free if you contact him. If the problems persist, of course. In the mean time, a version 3 is out with a better switch.

Thanks for suggesting this. Part of the reason I purchased this light was the excellent reputation I read about here on CPF. My cleaning job didn't fix the problem. I still have to shake or tap the light to get it to turn on or switch modes. Thanks again.