REVIEW : EagleTac TX3G Pro, Compact XHP70.2 flashlight.

Kivatch

Newly Enlightened
Recently, I was looking for a flashlight with one of the newest 2000+ lumens Cree emitter. The lamp would be used for hiking and everyday use. I really wanted the lamp to feature thermal regulation because I often use my lamps in cold environnements that allow adequate air-cooling so "timed" turbo modes are not necessary.
I also wanted the lamp to be compact. I looked at the Olight R50, the ThruNite TC20 but finally chose the TX3G Pro because of the XHP70.2 and compact form-factor.

After opening the small box, you get a USB type C cable, a 2A AC adapter, a rigid holster, a beam diffuser, a lanyard, some spare rubber pieces and some paperwork. Oh and you get the light too !
sOwZsoD

QjfP7Mg.jpg

sOwZsoD.jpg

Build quality and feeling.

Build quality on this lamp is very good, It might not be the best but I like it. The threads are well made but thinner than on the SRT7. Also, the threads of the head are not anodized, I wish they were.
iJ5jz5e.jpg

27PHoLB.jpg

In addition to the head, you can also unscrew the "tail" of the lamp.
Vj5xiBs.jpg

The machining of the stainless steel ring is good, you won't cut yourself with it.
ZKA3sgU.jpg

The emitter dome fills the entire hole in the reflector !
671wT3X.jpg

The anodizing is thick and shiny. It is good looking and easy to clean.
wiDNzwP.jpg

The TX3G Pro feels solid. It is heavy but the 26650 5200mAh battery represents the most part of its weight. It is also really compact. Thanks to its "tube" form factor and its low length, it fits in a jacket or jeans pocket really well.
Here is a size comparison with the Nitecore SRT7.
if9EB1J.jpg

The light is pleasant to hold as it is really "smooth". Consequently, it does not fit as securely in the hand as a tactical flashlight that often has the tail and the head larger than the body.
N1npYKn.jpg

One thing I don't like is the rubber cover of the USB C charging port. Indeed, it falls right under your finger when you hold the lamp.
B45UDJA.jpg

It is not curved and protrudes but It also acts as an "anti-roll" system. Maybe this feature was intended by Eagletac :)clap:).
FL0nN1y.jpg

But this rubber cover doesn't make me trust the IP68 rating of the lamp very well. With a clumsy move of the hand, you can easily remove the cover by accident and so expose the charging port and the flashlight internals to water.

UI.

This is what made me like EagleTac lights. The UI is excellent. You can trigger turbo really fast with the black button (momentary or not) and acess to the lowest ouput with a long press on the white button. Mode spacing looks linear to the eye. There is a battery indicator under the white button that blinks blue at lamp startup to indicate battery level.
uc1yxay.jpg

Also, the white button gets illuminated by the XHP70.2 when on.
IjNCZe2.jpg

I kind of wished that the buttons were more distinguishable one from the other.

Light output and beam pattern.

I have the "Cool White" version of the lamp. The tint of the XHP70.2 is indeed really cool. It looks to be around 6500k and is more purple than green.

The beam pattern is floody, with a circular spot in the middle and a smooth transition to the edges. The central spot is rather uniform in brightness. I tried to correct the white balance on the image in order to match the real LED tint.
4XQ8cmt.jpg

The SRT7 beam pattern to compare. It is more of a thrower.
yZn1vpA.jpg

Output and runtimes.

The turbo "2500 lumens" output is powerful and the lamps heats up quickly when it is activated. The ouptut stays constant and even with no cooling, it stabilizes at 70% of the max for a full hour. This shows that the EagleTac driver is efficient. I only have "relative" output data. The 100 mark should be between 2200 and 2500 lumens (probably closer to 2200). The current consumption of the lamp on turbo is 5.8 A with a fully charged cell.
X17kEXW.png

However, the thermal regulation of the lamp has flaws : it only works between 70% and 100% of output. Consequently, it seems that there is nothing preventing the lamp from overheating once it is at 70% output. There might be another protection, but during my test the lamp was way to hot to hold (maybe 60-70C on the surface) and no overheat protection were triggered.

To recharge the lamp, just plug a USB type C cable in the port near the head of the lamp. The blue indicator blinks to indicate that the flashlight is charging. The charging current reaches 2A with the appropriate AC adapter so the lamps charges almost completely in 2 hours.

Conclusion.

To sum it up, I would say that this lamp is just "as advertised". It gets bright, it is really compact and convenient to recharge. The driver is efficient and UI is excellent.
However, I should have bought the "Neutral White" version. Also, the rubber cover under your finger is quite disturbing.

I would say that it is a great EDC for a flashlight enthusiast or a great work light for someone who wishes to have a lot of light output in a small package.
For my outdoor use, I'm a bit disappointed with the rubber cover implementation as you have to be careful not to open it inadvertently when it rains. I'm also not a huge fan of the beam pattern which is not very "progressive", the very center of the beam is not brighter than the rest of the spot.

Thank you If you went so far ! My native language is not English but I hope that this review (my first on CPF) was all the same understandable. Enjoy your lights !

Last edited:

SKV89

Enlightened
Looks like a fantastic portable sized 26650 XHP70.2 light. Would be good if you had some outdoor shows preferably with comparisons to other flashlights. Thanks for the review.

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
... The beam pattern is floody, with a circular spot in the middle and a smooth transition to the edges. The central spot is rather uniform in brightness ...

Nice Review Kivatch! I'm looking for something *less* floody than my ZebraLight SC600; it has an 80-degree spill-cone.

Please approximate the spill angle of your EagleTac TX3G Pro. And, thanks in advance!

Kivatch

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a fantastic portable sized 26650 XHP70.2 light. Would be good if you had some outdoor shows preferably with comparisons to other flashlights. Thanks for the review.

Better late than never !

Nitecore SRT7, full battery, 100% output, 1/60s, 35mm, F2.8, ISO3200, Exp +0.65.

7jIQGnp.jpg

EagleTac TX3G Pro, full battery, on turbo, 1/60s, 35mm, F2.8, ISO3200, Exp +0.65.

g6X4CjA.jpg

Kivatch

Newly Enlightened
Nice Review Kivatch! I'm looking for something *less* floody than my ZebraLight SC600; it has an 80-degree spill-cone.

Please approximate the spill angle of your EagleTac TX3G Pro. And, thanks in advance!

Forget about it, the spill angle is probably much higher than on the SC600. I just bought an ArmyTek Dobermann Pro XHP35 HI for the exact same purpose as yours. I'm going to have it at the end of this week.

WmArnold1

Newly Enlightened
Forget about it, the spill angle is probably much higher than on the SC600. I just bought an ArmyTek Dobermann Pro XHP35 HI for the exact same purpose as yours. I'm going to have it at the end of this week.

Thanks anyway though Kivatch! I love my SC600, but it's like walking around with a bare light bulb..

SKV89

Enlightened
The photos don't look that bright but photos can be deceiving. I like floody lights and being able to run constantly at 70% max lumens for 90 minutes makes it very usable. I might get this one but will probably wait for a sale since I already have too many flashlights. Thanks for your time doing the review for us.

Kivatch

Newly Enlightened
The photos don't look that bright but photos can be deceiving. I like floody lights and being able to run constantly at 70% max lumens for 90 minutes makes it very usable. I might get this one but will probably wait for a sale since I already have too many flashlights. Thanks for your time doing the review for us.
Actually, I purposedly "underexposed" the images so it is easier to see the variations of brightness in the center of the beam. Manufacturers tend to do the opposite, they overexpose the beam shots to make the flashlights very powerful.

LessDark

Enlightened
Thank you for the review!
Do you have any other 26650 batteries to try in the light? I'm curious if a protected battery would fit (I'm aware that the charging won't work then).

Kivatch

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review!
Do you have any other 26650 batteries to try in the light? I'm curious if a protected battery would fit (I'm aware that the charging won't work then).

Unfortunately I have no other 26650 batteries to try in the light. But the included battery fits so tight in the tube that you have to shake it to pop the battery out. If a protected cell is larger than the Eagletac 5200 mAh, it won't fit.

LessDark

Enlightened
Unfortunately I have no other 26650 batteries to try in the light. But the included battery fits so tight in the tube that you have to shake it to pop the battery out. If a protected cell is larger than the Eagletac 5200 mAh, it won't fit.

Ok thanks, I guess this light is for unprotected batteries only then. A bit of a a shame for us who prefer protected batteries.

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
Can someone help me understand the Eagtac output specs, is the ANSI measured output on max 2500 or 1790? Why the two numbers?

• ANSI FL-1 lumen:
    25005​-1790/995/510/135/13

And what is meant by "LED" lumen (also two numbers):

• Led lumen:
    30005​-2130/1170/600/160/15

lebox97

Enlightened
http://flashlightwiki.com/Light_Output_Measurements
LED Lumens is measured at the LED
OTF Lumens is measured Out The Front
ANSI Lumens is measured out the front after set period of time.

http://eagtac.com/html/tx3gpro/specs.html
"5​"
"5. After 60 seconds at maximum output level (100%), the active thermal management feature will be activated and continuously adjusts the maximum output level according to the flashlight internal tempearture. The adjustment output range is between 70%-100%. This feature maintains the flashlight surface temperature to be about 130°F (54 °C) for W1900 (higher surrounding temperature may result in higher flashlight temperature). It's normal for high power flashlight to run hot at MAX level. Reduce the output if the user finds the flashlight too warm to hold."

Cheers

Can someone help me understand the Eagtac output specs, is the ANSI measured output on max 2500 or 1790? Why the two numbers?

• ANSI FL-1 lumen:

And what is meant by "LED" lumen (also two numbers):

• Led lumen:
    30005​-2130/1170/600/160/15

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally the large LED lights are floody, particularly with small reflectors. To get the most throw you need large reflector & small LED (BLF GT). So the "pocketable" 2000 lumen lights are pretty much all floody.

Thanks for the time & effort doing the review!!

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
http://flashlightwiki.com/Light_Output_Measurements
LED Lumens is measured at the LED
OTF Lumens is measured Out The Front
ANSI Lumens is measured out the front after set period of time.

http://eagtac.com/html/tx3gpro/specs.html
"5​"
"5. After 60 seconds at maximum output level (100%), the active thermal management feature will be activated and continuously adjusts the maximum output level according to the flashlight internal tempearture. The adjustment output range is between 70%-100%. This feature maintains the flashlight surface temperature to be about 130°F (54 °C) for W1900 (higher surrounding temperature may result in higher flashlight temperature). It's normal for high power flashlight to run hot at MAX level. Reduce the output if the user finds the flashlight too warm to hold."

Cheers
Thanks but none of this specifically answers my question, unless I'm not understanding your reply.

I understand ANSI lumens are measured after a set time, and I've read the foot notes, in this light the "5" foot note merely states thermal management kicks in after 60 seconds and lowers output to maintain temperature, it does not show anything specifically about how (or if) that relates to the two different numbers showing for the max level output specs.

Nothing I've read so far specifically explains the difference between the two numbers that are listed for the max setting.

So my question still remains unanswered, in this light is the ANSI measured output on max 2500 or 1790? And what is the difference between these two numbers?

• ANSI FL-1 lumen:

There are also two numbers listed for LED lumens (LED lumens are pretty much irrelevant, but I still don't understand the difference between the two numbers)

Although Eagtac talks about OTF in the foot notes for some other lights, there are no specs listed or identified anywhere as "OTF"

lebox97

Enlightened
you missed the next two sentences-
"...the active thermal management feature will be activated and continuously adjusts the maximum output level..."
"...adjustment output range is between 70%-100%..."

ie. the output automatically adjusts between 1,790 to 2,500 ANSI Lumens ~ depending on the internal temperatures...

(on some other/non-thermal regulated light models you'll see similar lumen ranges in the specs ~ in those cases it is usually the Turbo output dropping to High output after a pre-set period of time)

(Please remember specs and info are written by non-native english speakers/writers, and not always as clear as they could be) ;)
Cheers

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
you missed the next two sentences-
"...the active thermal management feature will be activated and continuously adjusts the maximum output level..."
"...adjustment output range is between 70%-100%..."

ie. the output automatically adjusts between 1,790 to 2,500 ANSI Lumens ~ depending on the internal temperatures...

(on some other/non-thermal regulated light models you'll see similar lumen ranges in the specs ~ in those cases it is usually the Turbo output dropping to High output after a pre-set period of time)

(Please remember specs and info are written by non-native english speakers/writers, and not always as clear as they could be) ;)
Cheers
Thanks for explaining!

So the two numbers are before and after stepdown. On a different light I have the foot note shows percentages for the "energy saving feature" which is a timed step down, as you also noted.