Can anyone repair or mod a novatac120P ?

setherd

Newly Enlightened
My old first gen novatac is acting up. Sometimes it just turns off, and you have to hit it to work again.
I'd like to get it working and upgrade the emitter. I've no idea how mod friendly these are.

Ideas?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think2x, VestureOfBlood or Vinh Nguyen are all capable of fixing it for you, and probably an emitter swap too.

Strintguy

Enlightened
Would it be worth talking to Henry at HDS? I imagine he would fix it under warranty

Nimitz68

Enlightened
I did not think Novatac was associated with HDS. Does anyone know?

Imon

Enlightened
IIRC Henry is the one who designed the Novatac lights. I used to have a Novatac Storm - it was kind of like a (very) economy HDS.

There was a thread awhile back about "unlocking" your Novatac light so that you can program the individual modes like a HDS light. Pretty cool stuff but not surprising given the common ancestry of Novatac and HDS lights.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes imon is right. HDS and Novatac were the same company before I joined cpf. The older American made Novatacs are very much like the early HDS flashlights. Henry designed them, it definitely wouldn't hurt to ask

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
I know this has been rehashed a hundred times

but have you tried cleaning contacts and checking the ring that holds the pill in? that was known to loosen over time and cause intermittent problems.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC Henry is the one who designed the Novatac lights. I used to have a Novatac Storm - it was kind of like a (very) economy HDS.

There was a thread awhile back about "unlocking" your Novatac light so that you can program the individual modes like a HDS light. Pretty cool stuff but not surprising given the common ancestry of Novatac and HDS lights.

The 120P doesn't need to be unlocked with the 250 clicks hack, it's fully programmable.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
IIRC yes Henry sold all his stuff and went into business with novatac. He had a bit of a falling out with them. Something to do with Henry wanting to do things the right way or not at all. Go figure. well novatac wanted to make money and didn't care to much about making the light great so he left. That's when he lost all his equipment and parts an such to fix and maintain his older generation of lights. U60 U42 etc. that's when he came out with the twisty and started his own company. I talked to him years ago on this and that is what I remember in our conversation. If I am wrong on any statement I apologize upfront. But pretty sure that's the story there.

setherd

Newly Enlightened
IIRC yes Henry sold all his stuff and went into business with novatac. He had a bit of a falling out with them. Something to do with Henry wanting to do things the right way or not at all. Go figure. well novatac wanted to make money and didn't care to much about making the light great so he left. That's when he lost all his equipment and parts an such to fix and maintain his older generation of lights. U60 U42 etc. that's when he came out with the twisty and started his own company. I talked to him years ago on this and that is what I remember in our conversation. If I am wrong on any statement I apologize upfront. But pretty sure that's the story there.
I recall that being the case as well.

I'll check the pill being loose before upgrading. Thanks, I didn't know that was an issue with these.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to do an emitter swap, you might as well contact Vinh or someone similar.

If you just want to see about getting it to work properly, You could do as warmcopper mentioned or you can go to the HDS thread and ask or contact Hogo via pm. He now works for HDS and is tight with Henry. He could definitely get you an answer from the HDS side. bad thing is HDS are working on some changes to get turn around times better, so if you send your light in to HDS, it may or may not take a good bit of time, IDK.

Either way HOGO is the best contact IF you want to get in touch with HDS