MOP or OP reflector for Maglite

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I'm looking at the aluminum reflectors on the kaidomain website, and they don't give much description of the difference between medium orange peel, or just orange peel.

I just got the 325 Lumen Malkoff drop in for my 3 - 6D Maglites, and wondering if anyone has tried both variations of reflectors and maybe describe the difference and which one you liked best.

Thanks, JT

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done the exact same thing. Get them both. The whole point of them is to eliminate artifacts in the new much better beam profile. Sometimes to heavy pf an orange peel will just dull out to much of the positive aspects of the beam profile. Try both see which you prefer.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Thx Celtic. Yea, that's what I was thinking I'd do if I don't get a concrete opinion. I'm going to upgrade others too, and a couple of Cs.

I noticed their "multi layer coated lens" that I'm going to try also. I was going to try a couple of different lenses from flashlightlens, but I see where they're closed until further notice.

JT

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Hmm, they emailed me back from the website and said they are the same. I don't know why they're listed differently, unless that's their way of telling me that they are out of one. I'm going to try a couple, and a couple of lenses.

JT

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I tried a medium orange peel and stock reflector.

Aimed at a wall 15 feet away the mop cleaned up things. But...
In real world use I prefer the stock one.

It's the Chinese New Year. The entire country takes a holiday this time of year. I forget if they call it Lunar or Solar but....it's their annual holiday.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is right! It is Chinese New Year all month long I believe. Among my mountain of modified Mags all over my house are many of Kai's aluminum reflectors. If you want the sharpest beam profile possible then NON-orange peel is what you will likely end up with. Malkoff sold stock plastic Mag reflectors just with the "tube at the bottom of them" properly cut off in order to fit the drop in better. Those aluminum Kai reflectors I collected all have those bottom reflector stems machined. They screw on and off.

One thing I never actually put BACK into any Mag has always been the stock plastic/poly lenses.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
If you have a plastic stock Mag lens sitting around you aren't using, you can try sanding it with fine sandpaper all over. It is very easy to just take a clear lens off and put a sanded one on if you want a flood light. I think I sanded mine while running some water on it and I am pleased with the results. When I need more throw from the light, I put the clear one back on I got from Flashlightlens.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
My observations since I posted this last year. I would think the plastic lens would melt with an LED, as I ruined a couple of stock reflectors pretty quickly.

I got the MOP and smooth aluminum reflectors from Kai. Both work well. I definitely like the orange peel better. The mirror has a little more throw, but not that big of a difference.

So I put the Malkoff in a 4D. It's a great unit and is built very well, as is everything Malkoff. However, I've made up four 2C Mags with these 300Lumen rated Cree LEDs I picked up on auction sites for around $16, along with the Kai aluminum reflectors and glass lenses. They have decent tint and are only a tiny bit less bright than the much more expensive Malkoff ... although definitely not as bomb proof as the Malkoff. Makes for a nice light to carry in the vehicles for around $50 total. I love the 2C Mag for many reasons.

Here's one I did up with a vintage 2C with flat tail cap & old style bezel, and another newer one I did with a paracord wrapped tube. Also did up a Chevy Truck 2C for my Canyon.

The only think about those Kai reflectors is they're just a hair too big, preventing the bezel from being fully screwed on. I wish they'd machine them down a little more.

JT

ZaH35pn.jpg

l9bb564.jpg