Fenix UC52

colight

Enlightened
Hi guys.

I would like to get some information from you guys about the pros/cons of rechargeable flashlights. I have been looking at the UC52 for some time now as I'm considering going that route, but am unsure whether I should? Do any of you have experience with dedicated 'rechargeables', or should I rather just stay with rechargeable batteries?

Thanks for your answers, guys!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own any rechargeable flashlight, simply because I don't need more flashlights, I don't need to recharge on the fly. I had to pick one, I'd choose something with 18650 these way you can have the best of both worlds depending on what you need. I wouldn't go for rechargeable lights that use built-in batteries that cannot be easily replaced. They may work if you have constant access to power outlets and have USB cables but if you expect to need the light in an emergency such an extended power outage or outdoor recreation use, then there's the risk it will turn out to be useless when you most need it.

Rechargeable lights in itself should not have any negatives other than having more electronics that can fail. If you buy high-quality rechargeable lights and batteries and treat them with the due care, you'd be keeping any risk of malfunction pretty low.

There are many factors to take into consideration, what you plan or expect to have to use the light for, the light features, etc. If it were up to me I would choose a 18650 light that allows recharging batteries in the light. The reason is I have many 18650 so for me it would be the most versatile solution. Maybe you don't and you might want to consider another battery type. Not that rechargeable lithium-ion batteries are available, it's another option to take into consideration too.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
For me, I usually go with swappable cells. So, when traveling or outdoors, I can bring enough power with me, or swap between devices. I also get annoyed with the older rechargeable lights I have, since I know that a fresh, modern cell would revitalize the light and make it perform even better than when it was new.

But, that isn't to say I don't use or buy rechargeables. For many people and applications, the convenience factor wins out.

colight

Enlightened
Thanks for these answers, guys. I must say I also prefer the 18650 (@Labrador), but I've never had one of these rechargeable lights before, and I would like to get some information on this in order to decide whether I should buy or not. I won't go trekking in the wilds for days on end, mostly camping, with a power supply usually at hand, thus the availability of electricity is not a deciding factor. I guess it is more the convenience factor (@Keitho) which counts for me. I do understand that if a cells gives out, you simply go and buy another, whereas with a built-in you will have to replace the light - much more costly, but then again the quality of products nowadays, and in this case Fenix's warranty, gives me peace of mind should I decide to buy this light.

Any other users' ideas?