Need flashlight to match batteries

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
I did something a bit stupid last week. I bought a $10 flashlight from amazon in one of their lightning sales. It required 2x18650 batteries and all the ones I have these days are a mish mash of random brands.

So... I spent $50 on two Olight 18650s and bought a new nitecore charger.

So ultimately I spent about $70 on battery equipment for a $10 flashlight.

Yes I know...

anyway what are your recommendations for a torch worthy of the batteries.

Looking for for a good tactical light for an edc. Big lumens, lots of throw.

Cheers.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quality cells & charger are never a bad idea, IMHO. A lot depends on what you need as far as a flashlight. Do you need high CRI(Color Rendering Index) for accurate color rendition, long run times, high enough high to blind an attacker, long periods of low with short bursts to high? The more info you can provide the better input we can provide.

My favorite "old standard" is a Surefire 6P with a body bored out to fit 18650s. For less $, the Lumens Factory Seraph-2 is a great deal-it is a host for $18.50, or with incandescent lamp for $27. You then buy the 6P LED drop-in of choice(around $20 for a reasonably good one, $3-$5 for a cheap one, up into the hundreds for best of the best). This $20 Light lets you try out multiple drop ins to see what you like. In case I wasn't clear, this is a 6P style host for a great price. Because it comes from overseas, plan on a two week wait. There are a ton of options out there...Four Sevens is undergoing a change of ownership and there are some great buys available. Nitecore and Olight also have many options...

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........Looking for for a good tactical light for an edc. Big lumens, lots of throw. Cheers.
I would get a single 18650 light rather than the dual 18650 that you originally purchased..........especially if you are interested in EDC carry. But you probably already figured that out.

You might consider two different lights if you want one for EDC carry and one for throw. I guess it just depends on how much throw you want. For EDC carry, you want a light that isn't much bigger diameter than the battery.......thus the reflector won't necessarily accommodate a lot of throw. But with that in mind look for a light with a spec of around 14,000 or higher candela beam intensity (Fenix PD32, 2016 model). That will be a compromise........keep the light kind of smallish in diameter and still have some throw. If you want a lot more throw, you need to get a light with a big reflector.

micklumen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I guess my my primary reason for carrying a flashlight on me for the past several years is self defence. I don't know if that makes me sound crazy or not but it's true. However thankfully I've never had to use it. I do use my lights routinely for general stuff that you need lights for.

So so in response to the first reply, bright enough to blind an attacker is important.

Also I'm not overly fussed about it being a very small flashlight. I'm a very large man so I'm fine with a bigger than pocket size being my edc.

Thanks