Emisar D4 Nichia

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
Just received my D4 Nichia! Props to Intl-Outdoor for the very speedy shipping!

Awesome little light. Versatile UI, I like the level of user configurability. It is bright and hot! And I love the CRI of the Nichia emitters! In hand, it feels like half the length and weight of my Fenix PD35Tac although I know it is not. Great EDC light for my uses.

So I have a question: will it automatically shut down @ low voltage? I realize that I can keep checking the voltage with the "3 click batt check" but wondering more so if I were using it continuously as a room light for example. Do not want to ruin the light or batteries.

Robert

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
It steps down when at low voltage and then turns off, you can google Emisar d4 review for more details

Might as well just provide the link:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55306

Low-voltage protection: Yes

The author of that review was one of the programmers who helped with the user interface for the D4. The review itself is very comprehensive, but there's quite a bit more information spread through the following discussion, most of it in the first couple weeks of the discussion.

One additional note - there is some parasitic drain on the D4, so it's a good idea if it does shut down due to low voltage to remove or charge the battery again relatively soon. It's also a good idea to remove the battery or partially unscrew the tailcap if you're going to store the light for a few weeks or more.

tanakasan

Newly Enlightened
Budget Light Forum! Thanks for the link to the review. Another source for information to absorb!

I see that it says:This driver also has low-voltage protection. At 3.0V it'll drop to the lowest level, and at 2.8V it'll shut itself off as far as possible. It still has a very small amount of parasitic drain though, so don't leave it in post-LVP mode for months or years at a time. It would be a good idea to change the battery within a few days, or unscrew the tube to cut power."

That says it all! So inherently safe from over discharge.

Robert

Last edited: