Venom Orion

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, any interests on the Venom Orion? Too bad they don't ship internationally as of the moment. :rolleyes:

Please share your photos and experience about this light. ;)

Got aluminum Nichia 219 4000K. Nice fit and finish. Love the clip. I'll say more after a little use. But here's s starter pic ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1521465848.283066.jpg

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one too, had it for several weeks. I really like it. Since you asked - the clip is great, looks good and has plenty of hold. It is machined stainless with decent snap, easy enough to slide over most of my pockets but I do have one pair of pants that's a bit thick at the edge. The Orion still fits, its not really a problem, but it does take a bit more effort. Retention is fine, no issues. I also like how deep it carries, very little of the light above the edge of my pants. Also the tube "grip" treatment is great, feels really neat with its ramped shape in one direction, but sharper "barbs" going in the other (its not really barbed, even the "sharp" edge is lightly chamfered). Its really well done. But my favorite feature is the tall pill - loads of copper in there for heatsinking, plus you can see it kinda glinting under the optic, giving a bit of a hint of its high-powered innards. :) ...not that its any stronger than the other FET-driven triples out there, obviously it isn't. But I like the look anyway.

But its not perfect of course. Machining is very clean but finishing could be better in some spots, although, I gotta admit I kinda like the raw, fresh-off-the-lathe, look it has, but some of the surfaces don't really match the others, if that makes sense. Like they were made with different tools (they probably were...) so there's a difference in how it came out. And the solder work on my pill was a little sloppy -- solid as a rock and not a functional concern, but doesn't look great - definitely hand-made. Also mine came with a qlite spring on the driver and I don't like those, so I swapped it for a brass button. I had thought my threads were a little rough until I swapped in that button, but it turns out the threads are really very very good, but the spring was making it feel rough. Pretty sure I saw on facebook that Venom had ordered their next batch of drivers with brass buttons so newer lights probably come with those. For that matter I got s/n 2, the second light made, so all of my minor issues could be improved by now for all I know.

All in all though, its a great light and I've enjoyed having it.

Enough words, here's some pics. Any questions just ask:

opjJ5MZ.jpg

flxXEit.jpg

GDaWts5.jpg

gbbajfj.jpg

lmqCO6X.jpg

Py5kZvQ.jpg

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
@emarkd - wow I asked a one sentence question, your answer was comprehensive! Thanks for your insights and observation on this. Looks like a winner nevertheless!