Lamda's $20 ill pill feedback

cy

Flashaholic
Lamda\'s $20 ill pill feedback

Comments about the $20 ill pill Luxeon with DC/DC for under $20 drew enough responses in your best AA to needed its own thread?

I ordered the Q2k version, installed it in my mini-mag with borofloat lens. Been quite pleased with the results.

Maybe I got lucky but my ill pill puts out a beam very close in quality and brightness to the gold standard LSHP. I have not done runtime test yet.

Using fresh batts on both, LSHP is brighter, but ill pill is close. The pill's beam is almost pure white w/hint of warm. This is based upon my one ill pill, so comments from other ill pill users are welcome.

The runtime listed here EZ LED Modis 70 min w/1850 nmh, so I'm guessing w/alk the runtime would be longer.

Thanks,
CY

Joseph

Enlightened
Re: Lamda\'s $20 ill pill feedback

I really hope this is what all other illpill users feel about it cuz I'm gonna get one soon~ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened

Here's my observation: my Ill pill drop in is brighter than my Arc LS first run second. The arc has longer run time. The Ill pill just goes dead in bout hr and a half. Both have the yellowish ring surrounding the hotspot with has a purplish tint. Their beams are remarkably similiar.
My inretech white drop in has a larger hot spot than the above but it also uses lithiums. Also, very bright and the same purplish tint one finds in low domes.

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened

My ill pill is an UGLY purple color. I had requested a White one, but instead all I got was an UGLY purple pill... The same color/brightness as those cheapo 4 led lights 0n
E-bay...

I wish lambda had told me it was purple, because then I would not have ordered it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Bryan,

Sorry you don't like the pill, but:

On Feb 8, you asked about getting a pure white Pill, I repsonded:

"The LD Luxeons have a blueish tint, nothing "pure" white.

If you want something purerer white, in a couple weeks I'll have some econo modified Brinkmann AAs with HD pills."

On Feb 10, you sent PayPal; I shipped

On Feb 13, you sent email saying you were not happy with the purple tint.

On Feb 13, I responed:

"Sorry you don't like the Pill. The only other LD Luxeons I have are Q2K, which have a green tint.

If you really don't like it, send it back and I'll send a refund."

Again, sorry you don't like the color of the Pill, but since you didn't take me up on the exchange or refund, I had assumed you changed your mind. I guess that's not so....

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

bryan, if you don't like your ill pill, sell it. I am sure others will buy it. I know i would

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love my ill pill. Took me less than five minutes to install and although it has a blue tint (i much prefer the blue tint to a greenish tint for some reason) it is bright and great for short range use. I love using the exposed lowdome in candle mode. This really is a great and easy mod for a great price. Hey lambda, would you care to speculate on wether or not the new niteize iq switch thing will work with the illpill or not? Also, I wanted to go a little furthur and painted the back side of the optic with epoxy/glow powder mix. This really screwed up the beam so I am wondering how to get a new optic (where?, what kind?). TIA.

KingSmono

Enlightened

Wow, what a great guy Lambda! I've never purchased anything from you, but in the future, I wouldn't hesitate doing business with you!

B@rt

Flashaholic

Lambda is a stand up guy, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'd never hesitate to buy from him again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
xochi said:
Hey lambda, would you care to speculate on wether or not the new niteize iq switch thing will work with the illpill or not? Also, I wanted to go a little furthur and painted the back side of the optic with epoxy/glow powder mix. This really screwed up the beam so I am wondering how to get a new optic (where?, what kind?). TIA.

[/ QUOTE ]

xochi, I checked the Niteize web page, but didn't find anything about an IQ switch, so don't know. If you want a replacement optic, send me $3.00 and I'll mail you a new one with nub already trimmed off.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you do not like the Pill I would buy it off ya...I'll buy a purple colored mini mag and giveit to my G/F I think she would love the color. I don't understand why it would only be as bright as the cheapo 4LED lights though?

Lambda, have you considered just selling the sandwitches without the emitters? I'd love to throw a LD Cyan on one to make an extra bright light. Or a HD red/orange with a different optic?

Either way any idea when your going to make another run?

red_robby

Enlightened

i got 2 pills, both have purple tinted beams...
they are worth every penny!
i have quite a few sandwiches from the sandwich shop, the Q3 LD are not a whole lot better(maybe a little)and are over twice the price. IMHO these IllPills are definatly worth the money.

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened

Lambda is a real good guy and just because I don't like purple lights doesn't mean it's not a quality product...

He DID offer to take it back, but for $20.00 i guess it really is a good deal.

Sorry if I came off sounding crass... My bad.. I will be careful to make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear next time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I will be looking forward to getting the brinkman hd (whiter led)AA in a few weeks... thanks for being so cordial Lambda! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bryan - No problemo, as before, if ya don't like it, I'll refund/exchange. The econo HDs are held hostage just like the IL III waiting for the flashlights to arive...

Justintoxicated - I may use the remianing parts I have to make some do it yourself kits, but will have to make some more circuit cards before I can do that. If I don't receive the Brinkmann AAs, I guess I could try and get that done this weekend. However, I'd also need to get some more NX05 optics, as I've only got one left of those...

red_robby - Thanks! Price can make a difference.

PhotonBoy - As I said above, I'm short on NX05 and need to make some more circuit cards too, so it would be a couple weeks before all the parts could be rounded up. But, I hope to be working on the IL III also, so time available will be scarce...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

lambda, i am also interested in some do it yourself kits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats great Lambda! Too bad I toasted the Emitter I was going to put in there though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have optics too from blowing up Star-O's lol

I guess I like to blow stuff up....

Might jsut take your kit So I don't have to order more starts for a while...Then again Maybe Ill disect another Star-O (Cyan for parts). Can;t wait to see the Lux III Il's too Definately highly interested in those!

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, I found this:

illpill.jpg

I can drill and punch these to make up some kits. But as I said, no optics at this time.

So, I'll start a thread in the mod b/s/t forum for the kit. Without lens, let's say $5.00 and when I get the lenses, it should be like $7.00 with lens; postage paid. You supply the Luxeon and epoxy...

Let the modding begin.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif