Is it a crime to say "Maglite"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened
Is it a crime to say \"Maglite\"?

Hi All,

What's with all the M** and M@g and...other ridiculous euphemistic names for this competing brand of flashlight.

Come on guys, have some backbone!

It's a Maglite Flashlight.

Say it. It's a Maglite. We're all adults here.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: Is it a crime to say \"Maglite\"?

You will find no sympathy for M@glite in this forum because M@glite tried to put ARC out of business by filing trivial lawsuits. This is discussed at great lenghts in other threads and I don't really see a need to start a new one.

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened

Thanks OCD, I was not aware of that.

I have no particular reason to be sympathetic towards Maglite, tho' I have nothing against them personally. Their lights just don't compare to an Arc, IMO.

But what does that have to do with Arc supporters pussyfooting around the Maglite name? Do we fear that mentioning the name will bring another lawsuit on?

Not sympathetic, or spoiling for a fight, but truly curious.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Canuckle, it's just a way to express the feelings about the Maglight company, because they chose the "lawyers way" to get rid of competitors instead of actually improve their products. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened

i thought it was to prevent this showing up on search engines, at least when discussing other brands on open mailing lists, that is the MO so spiders don't index it incorrectly.

Rex

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
i thought it was to prevent this showing up on search engines, at least when discussing other brands on open mailing lists, that is the MO so spiders don't index it incorrectly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is also the same reason why it is difficult to search for Maglite-related threads in CPF (For newbies at least).

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Canuckle,

The word "Mag-Lite" is registered with Mag Instruments Inc.

If you do not have permission from them to use it, you invite legal action...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom

Negeltu

Enlightened

I hope you are joking... because that is not entirely correct... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirk

Enlightened

Canuckle,
It not a crime to say Maglite, but you should wash your mouth out with soap! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Kirk

Luke

Newly Enlightened

So what happens if they come out with real good quality stuff..LED's etc and at typical Maglite prices?????
I cannot believe they are sat doing nothing . They must know they are sat on a world famous brand name. They dont charge a lot for what you get etc etc...

They could supprise us all!!!

Theres no love in business.

RussH

Enlightened

MagLight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

i7r7

Newly Enlightened

btw, Russh.... its Maglite... the people at Mag Instrument Inc don't want to spell it the right way

I've been on the forums long enough to know that most people here use "m*glite" or "m@glite"... I never understood why and in a recent post of mine, I naturally used m*glite /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luke, I agree
I am surprised to see that a company like Maglite hasn't made their own range of LED (especially Luxeon) flashlights. With Maglite's worldwide marketing, I'm sure that if they released a range similar to Elektrolumens, they would be able to make Luxeons known to every law enforcement personnel arond the world. I'm sure they've considered it, maybe waiting for Luxeon technology to be more refined.

Btw, I've used Maglite a number of times because this post is already riddled with the word... all my future posts will either contain "m@g" or "m*g"

Jeff

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Luke said:
So what happens if they come out with real good quality stuff..LED's etc and at typical Maglite prices?????
I cannot believe they are sat doing nothing . They must know they are sat on a world famous brand name. They dont charge a lot for what you get etc etc...

They could supprise us all!!!

Theres no love in business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll buy their stuff if they come out with *good* LEDs (as long as the beam quality is good). The Maglites themselves are well made flashlights...the main problem is that their current beams suck. That and they are sue happy.

But, if they make good LEDs at "Mag prices", I'll go back to them.

As far as the euphanisms, the posters that call Maglite "Maggotlite" crack me up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RussH

Enlightened

I don't mind, but it does make searches a little more difficult. So I use maglite, m@glite, m*glite and repeat with the mag-lite orm'?'glight or other(wrong) spelling. Searches elsewhere or on other things can be just as involved due to mispellings or other variations. AFAIC, the bodies make good hosts - I just try to get them on sale. -RussH

HesNot

Enlightened

At least with regard to Luxeons I'm not sure they could secure enough supply to actually release an LS light - given the huge distribution chain they enjoy (at least not without buying up Arc, Surefire, Streamlight, etc's supply).

Now why they haven't put out a 5mm solitaire, 2xAAA/2xAA mini mag is beyond me...

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maglite flashlights represent the most value for the average person. For less than $30 one can buy a 2 or 3 cell C or D plus a Minimag. Those lights will last a lifetime and pass down to the next generation.

I don't know about their lawsuits, but if patents have been infringed upon, then I don't blame them.

I am going to buy my sister two Maglites so that she will have reliable flashlights.

Jerry

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Repetitive thread of a discussion that's been debated several times over, with no good coming from it.

Closed...

--dan

Status
Not open for further replies.