The Best Do-Everything Light: Olight M2R

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
The Olight M2r is THE only flashlight I have used that does it all. The two switches that operate independently of each other is an excellent idea. Here's why this light is the best do-it-all flashlight.
1. The size: it's small enough to carry in my pants pocket all the time while still being large enough to house an 18650, have a decent reflector for throw, and be used as a strike weapon if needed.
2. It has an 18650 rechargeable battery for performance.
3. It's tactical! The tail switch provides instant access to turbo all the time. You can select momentary or clicky to suit your mood. You can also access strobe with one push.
4. It's EDC. The side switch has mode memory so you can start at your favorite level. You can scroll through to select just the right lumens for the job or jump to turbo or strobe with a quick set of clicks. Moonlight through 700 lumens are readily available through the side switch.
5. It tailstands.
6. The pocket clip allows bezel up or down carry.
I have not been able to buy or build a light that meets so many of my needs. In another thread, someone suggested having a single mode tactical light in one pocket and an EDC light in the other. This provides you with the perfect tool for every job, but carrying two lights is not very convenient. So, until something radical comes along to change my mind, the M2r is the best Do-Everything flashlight available.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a great light. I am with you in that this is my favorite sized light for a do-everything light, and I care about most (but not all) of the features you mention for a do-everything light. The rear button looks like an electronic switch -- is it a forward clicky? The light does momentary mode? I have an alternative candidate for best do-everything light, but of course there's always tradeoffs, I'll wait to hear about the switch before I tell you mine...

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Great! I can't wait to hear about other choices for a do-everything light. The M2r rear switch is forward push to operate and has two different settings. In standard mode, it's soft push for momentary turbo, and full push to click on. In tactical mode, it's soft push for momentary turbo and full push for momentary strobe. This is the only thing I don't like. My preference is for no strobe.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't decide between this or the newer m2t version. I really prefer a protruding rubber tail switch for ease of operation. The more flat tail switches I e always found a bit more of a "reach" to be able to access. I'm also assuming the rubber switch might offer a bit more weatherproofness to it. BUT, I've read where others thought the rubber switch was too finicky when trying to select modes. So I'm totally stuck as to which light to get. Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great! I can't wait to hear about other choices for a do-everything light. The M2r rear switch is forward push to operate and has two different settings. In standard mode, it's soft push for momentary turbo, and full push to click on. In tactical mode, it's soft push for momentary turbo and full push for momentary strobe. This is the only thing I don't like. My preference is for no strobe.

Okay... so my question is, is that "soft push" really do-able under any sort of stress? Again, just looking at pics, the switch looks incredibly short throw.

Anyway, I'll repeat that I think the M2R is a fanastic choice. I've made some tradeoffs in choosing the Eagtac DX30LC2-R instead http://eagletac.com/html/dx30lc2r/specs.html (although there are a number of Eagtac models that fit the bill)... For me, the tradeoffs are:
- Olight M2R 10000ish lux, vs Eagtac DX30LC2 21000ish lux. Basically twice the candlepower in the Eagtac, which suits my personal usage better. Eagtac wins here for me ,and this is a pretty big one for me.
- Eagtac rear switch momentary/clicky ALWAYS comes on in turbo, which is a must for me. I couldn't quite tell from your description what the Olight does, but if it's true the rear switch has a momentary switch with reasonable throw, and always comes on in high, then this might be a push; otherwise, Eagtac wins for me.
- If I understood you correctly, the Olight's side switch can turn the light on or off by itself, in memory mode. I actually love this feature compared to the Eagtac, where the side switch can't turn on the light by itself, it can only be used to change modes, or when pressed simultaneously with the rear switch, can turn the light on in low.
- I don't care very much about pocket clip or tailstanding. Tailstanding is a nice feature, if and only if it doesn't dictate a super-short-throw switch. So, for me, Olight might win on the pocket clip, but it's mostly a don't-care. Not sure whether olight wins on the tailstanding, it all hinges on what compromises were made in the rear switch design

Anyway, a lot of similarities in intensity, form factor, and UI layout, but especially the higher candlepower moves me to the Eagtac

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
The tail switch on the M2r always gets you to turbo. In standard mode it is short press for momentary and full press to click on. You are right that it would be hard to reach just momentary-on when under stress. In tactical mode the tail switch is only momentary. Short press for turbo and full press for strobe. The metal switch is flush with the body of the light, but it is easy to access, smooth to operate, never gets accidentally turned on, and has not been finicky at all. It does take a little getting used to when you are used to a protruding rubber boot. However, now that I am used to it, I can always hit it. The side switch is independent of the tail switch. It can turn the light off and on and has mode memory. I really like that they are independent because it's like having two flashlights in one. You can reach turbo, moonlight, or your memorized mode with only one hand. I have stayed away from side switch lights until the M2r because I don't want to have to stretch to reach both switches or have a tail switch go to anything but turbo. I have an Eagletac t25c that I love, but it's too big to carry all the time. I agree that the throw of the M2r gives up quite a bit to the Eagtac, but the M2r has good reach and excellent flood. Again, I can't think of a single light that does so many of the things I want from a light .

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to let you guys know, I have read multiple reports of people having reliability issues with the switch on this light. It seems it has a major flaw that can reveal itself depending on the environment you use it in. The magnetic tailcap switch can attract metal filings and small metallic objects causing it to malfunction or or become totally inoperable until cleaned. Regular dirt has also been an issue for some. This issue makes it a poor choice for any mission critical use as it can basically fail to work at any time. I have a feeling that this is at least part of the reason why Olight released the M2T. Anyway, I just wanted to warn users who might be using this as a tactical light.