Acebeam        
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2023242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 20

Quote Originally Posted by F89 View Post
    I tried an sm273 (2700K) in a HDS a while ago, it was nice but I did find it a bit novelty like so I remodded that light to the King of tint and CRI the 219B sw45k R9080 and didn't look back.
    My most recent HDS mod is the sm353 (3500K) which has really grown on me.
    I also have an unmodded direct from Hogo high noon and while it is nice it just doesn't grab me. I find that the CRI of the others against the sw45k is really lacking as its that good.
    The tint of the sm573 high noon is ok, a bit blue at times but very nice for a higher Kelvin. Does it look like midday sun? Well not really to me. Is the CRI good, yes it's ok like many of the R9050 LEDs.
    For that super high CRI colour that renders like nothing else it has to be R9080.
    Don't get me wrong, the high noon was a good run but mine is a hair away from being modded to another sw45k as it's whites and colours can't be beat.
    It is so hard to know until you see it for yourself. I figure if I donít like it, I could probably sell it fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOnTarget View Post
    SWEET!

Do you consider the 2700*k to be a specialty light vs the 5700* being more of a workhorse?

It seems like 2700* would be almost like a candle or ember.

The 2700k is just a specialty light for me... something I can use to set the ambiance when I drink rum out of the skull of an enemy... or just go camping and drink Madera around the campfire. I certainly don't see EDCing it. My original intent on the 5700k was to be able to show people who visit my leather shop the colors of the holsters and whatnot inside the shop, and have those same things look the same when they stepped out into the Tucson sun with it. The High Noon (5700k) accomplishes that perfectly. Same thing with medical. If you are looking at skin color, you don't necessarily want something that flatters the person your shining it on but shows the actual condition of the skin. My girl is a ICU RN, so I gave her a High Noon and she loves it for that reason.

So, I would have to say, for specific uses, it is great. It also appears to be brighter than lower color temperature lights... BUT, it isn't for everyone. A lot of people prefer lower color temps, and I will admit, if I'm just out walking the dog (who am I kidding... I'm usually trying to find that little 4 legged ninja in the yard as she hides because she doesn't want to come back in the house) I like the warmer color temps as they tend to make things more visually appealing.

It is so hard to know until you see it for yourself. I figure if I donít like it, I could probably sell it fairly easily.
    Yes, it's a bit like that.
    My guess is you'll find it quite nice, I can understand the appeal considering its Hogo's grail also.
    I'm more of a tint and CRI guy, colour temp aside. I gauge an LED based on the quality of tint and how well it renders white and colours.
    It just so happens that most of the best quality is coming roughly from the 4000 to 5000K area in my experience, the super sw45k being about 4500K obviously.
    As always gets stated colour temp doesn't describe a tint so there's 4000K and then there's 4000K etc.
    Last edited by F89; 05-14-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Yes, it's a bit like that.
    My guess is you'll find it quite nice, I can understand the appeal considering its Hogo's grail also.
    I'm more of a tint and CRI guy, colour temp aside. I gauge an LED based on the quality of tint and how well it renders white and colours.
    It just so happens that most of the best quality is coming roughly from the 4000 to 5000K area in my experience, the super sw45k being about 4500K obviously.
    As always gets stated colour temp doesn't describe a tint so there's 4000K and then there's 4000K etc.
    I'm definitely wanting to see one, and I should be able to soon. You do really have to see them in person. It all depends on the condition of Johnnyh's light (which arrived in the shop today, by the way) but we were far too busy making, boxing, and shipping lights to look at it. Maybe later in week or next I'll get a chance to check out the tint... if Henry can save the LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Don't go by what Henry may have said before in a private conversation.
    Okay, quit paying attention to anything Henry has to say about HDS lights. Making a note of that now.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

........mine is a hair away from being modded to another sw45k as it's whites and colours can't be beat.
    Ouch! Please don't do that. As a Clicky man myself, I'd hate to see that High Noon of yours disappear from the landscape and let all these Rotarys feel like they're running things.

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Okay, quit paying attention to anything Henry has to say about HDS lights. Making a note of that now.
    LOL! Only when it has to do with any kind of timeline. The discussions on a titanium run have changed within HDS over the past several months, and the timeline for many of the features Henry discussed with you has also changed. We made a list of priorities back in January, and for the most part, we are sticking with it, but it is taking a good deal more time to work through it.

I simply didn't want people to think that there were going to be new features on a titanium light, if that happens this year, because there won't... even though Henry did want to do that, it would delay a run by 1.5 to 2 years in all likelihood.

The things Henry discussed with you haven't been engineered yet, prototyped, and tested, and each one will most likely take 4 months or more each, if there isn't something unforeseen, which there usually is.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 05-15-2018 at 06:49 AM.

One question for the HDS experts.

1. I have a new Executive Hi CRI Clicky with the most current 2.18 software. Can I put one of my Rotary battery compartments on the head and turn it into a Rotary light?
    Last edited by RCS1300; 05-15-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    One question for the HDS experts.

1. I have a new Executive Hi CRI Clicky with the most current 2.18 software. Can I put one of my Rotary battery compartments on the head and turn it into a Rotary light?
    The software in the head prevents you from doing this. I believe you would have to send it in to be reprogrammed as a Rotary.
    "It's not rocket surgery"

Quote Originally Posted by greatscoot View Post
    The software in the head prevents you from doing this. I believe you would have to send it in to be reprogrammed as a Rotary.
    Thank you. And, yes, I just confirmed it does not work.

Thank you. And, yes, I just confirmed it does not work.
    Havenít done it to my Clicky yet, but Hogo told me itís possible. Costs $40 to send it in to do the reprogramming. Hopefully in the future Henry will have a software update that allows users to use either Clicky or Rotary Bodies with their heads. That way you could use a Rotary for general EDC and then switch to a Clicky when you plan to get dirty or hard use the light (ie: beach, mud, forest, diving etc...). How cool would that be?!?

Quote Originally Posted by moltenmag View Post
    Hopefully in the future Henry will have a software update that allows users to use either Clicky or Rotary Bodies with their heads. That way you could use a Rotary for general EDC and then switch to a Clicky when you plan to get dirty or hard use the light (ie: beach, mud, forest, diving etc...). How cool would that be?!?

That is exactly what I wanted to do except I was hoping to switch my Hi CRI head from Clicky to Rotary to Clicky when the need presents itself. Might have to purchase another HDS Rotary Hi CRI in the meantime, oh my.

That is exactly what I wanted to do except I was hoping to switch my Hi CRI head from Clicky to Rotary to Clicky when the need presents itself. Might have to purchase another HDS Rotary Hi CRI in the meantime, oh my.
    Totally understand your dilemma. Clickies are virtually indestructible while rotaries are more useful. Hopefully Henry is working on the software update! What CRI LED do you have?

Totally understand your dilemma. Clickies are virtually indestructible while rotaries are more useful. Hopefully Henry is working on the software update! What CRI LED do you have?
    I have the standard LED for the Tactical Rotary issued in 2014 and a HDS website ordered Nichia 219B in my Executive Clicky purchased this year.

What type of pocket clips are the Rotary folks running with?
    Last edited by RCS1300; 05-15-2018 at 12:22 PM.

I use a HDS universal clip on one of my rotaries, many say itís ugly and all but it works. I figure that Iím really the only one who has to look at it anyway. I attach it to the switch end and put a strip of electrical tape around the body so it doesnít scar up the body while turning. Fits good on a belt also.
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

How easy it that clip to put on and off?
    I like my HDSs clip free, but there are times when one would be handy. So I'm considering am HDS Universal.
    Thanks,
    P
    I'm looking for an HDS 325 Clicky. If you have a spare would you please give me a shout? Thanks. Peter

Its easy P, easy to fit and remove with small screw driver. The clip is about a thou off the body/head, perfect! to avoid any scrapes.
    Last edited by ven; 05-15-2018 at 01:11 PM.

I run the standard stock clip bezel up. If you unscrew the bezel from the body and then unscrew the bezel from the reflector you can put the wire clip in between the bezel and the reflector. Itís really secure. Thatís how I run my rotaries. Much better than the clip that attaches over the rotary mechanism. Iíve heard thatís annoying to deal with. It inhibits the rotary from moving. By carrying it with the clip in between the bezel and the reflector, the rotary mechanism is free to rotate. Plus you donít have to spend a lot of money! Only like $5-$10 for another clip!

Oh, bum. I was hoping it was friction fit. Just want something that slides on and off.
    No worries, it's not the end of my world.
    P
    I'm looking for an HDS 325 Clicky. If you have a spare would you please give me a shout? Thanks. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    Oh, bum. I was hoping it was friction fit. Just want something that slides on and off.
    No worries, it's not the end of my world.
    P
    Have you seen this?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ation-tutorial

Modding isnít necessary. Just put the clip in between the bezel and reflector. Works like a champ on my rotary!

Modding isnít necessary. Just put the clip in between the bezel and reflector. Works like a champ on my rotary!
    Modding is necessary if you buy one of the current OR clips. HDS requires a larger diameter loop than the 6P. OR clips used to be the larger diameter but now they are 6P and require enlargement to fit HDS.

Trust me; I found this out the hard way.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Modding is necessary if you buy one of the current OR clips. HDS requires a larger diameter loop than the 6P. OR clips used to be the larger diameter but now they are 6P and require enlargement to fit HDS.

Trust me; I found this out the hard way.

I just put my Prometheus clip between the head and the reflector. It fit perfectly.

Do you need a special tool to get the reflector removed?

What size O ring will I need for the lens if I use the Prometheus clip (between the reflector and the bezel) - 2x18.5mm?
    Last edited by RCS1300; 05-15-2018 at 02:20 PM.

I just put my Prometheus clip between the head and the reflector. It fit perfectly.

Do you need a special tool to get the reflector removed?

What size O ring will I need for the lens if I use the Prometheus clip (between the reflector and the bezel) - 2x18.5mm?
    2x18.5 is what worked best for me, between the lens and reflector.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Totally understand your dilemma. Clickies are virtually indestructible while rotaries are more useful
    I keep hearing this statement about clickies but I canít remember anyone having a broken rotary. It does make me feel like buying more clickies but I love the versatility of the rotary so much and never having one fail yet is the reason I have only purchased one clicky.

Quote Originally Posted by d13avo View Post
    I keep hearing this statement about clickies but I canít remember anyone having a broken rotary. It does make me feel like buying more clickies but I love the versatility of the rotary so much and never having one fail yet is the reason I have only purchased one clicky.
    Catastrophic failure, where the Rotary ceases to work at all (no light coming out of the end), I have not seen. I know of only one failure caused by damaged, which simply stoped the rotary function from working (which essentially turned the Rotary into a Clicky) happened on one that fell from a motorcycle on the freeway.

However, even this being the case, the Clicky has less moving parts, fewer contacts, and fewer electronic components in the tail. The Rotary mechanism has been upgraded a few times (and will continue to be upgraded as Henry thinks of improvements to it).

Henry himself considers the Clicky more indestructible than the Rotary (he and I have had conversations about this).

All this being said, I'm a huge Rotary fan. At the same time, I keep a Clicky in my emergency bag. I carry a folding knife daily, but have a fixed blade in the bag... both the same high end brand. I kind of consider this the same thing.

If the zombie apocalypse was starting, and I had to pick just one... (it would bother me more that I had to pick just one than the fact that people were turning into and getting eaten by zombies) but in that case, after a lot of snot and tears, I would grab the Clicky.
    Last edited by Hogokansatsukan; 05-16-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slumber Pass View Post
    Ouch! Please don't do that. As a Clicky man myself, I'd hate to see that High Noon of yours disappear from the landscape and let all these Rotarys feel like they're running things.
    Yeah I hear you. It does seem a shame to mod a high noon, I'm still on the fence.
    On the other hand my LED swap mods are very tidy and having another sw45k in HDS form is very tempting.

I also have an SW45k-ified HDS, in this orange cerakote beauty

For all I know yours and mine are the only ones in the world, and yes having another out there wouldn't be a bad thing. But as much as I love it I don't think I'd want this emitter in every HDS I own. Variety is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    How easy it that clip to put on and off?
    I like my HDSs clip free, but there are times when one would be handy. So I'm considering am HDS Universal.
    Thanks,
    P
    The clip from a 2014 edition Fenix PD35 fits the "waist" segment of the rotary nicely. Other versions might also fit but I don't have any of those to test. I don't know how often you'd want to install/uninstall it but it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by elzilcho View Post
    The clip from a 2014 edition Fenix PD35 fits the "waist" segment of the rotary nicely. Other versions might also fit but I don't have any of those to test. I don't know how often you'd want to install/uninstall it but it's doable.
    I had an Olight S1 Baton 1st gen clip on my rotary bezel down for a while. It was a tight fit and the deep carry portion of the clip barely cleared the rotary mechanism. It was the deepest way to carry the rotary; but I eventually ditched it for bezel up carry with the standard HDS Clicky clip (between the bezel and reflector). Way more secure way to carry a $300 light!

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2023242526272829303132333435 LastLast