Field Use Review of the Zanflare F3

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
For submission in the Reviews forum.

Introduction
This review is the second of my Field Use Reviews. Given the number of excellent reviewers with technical data, I've decided to take a different approach to reviewing flashlights. As an outdoors enthusiast, I've decided to review flashlights during multiple night hikes in the form of a field carry and use review. The review is the culmination of multiple night hikes, trips, and use indoors and outdoors. Hence, the review will focus less on objective data, measurements, and production details and more on field usage impressions and empirical data from field carry and practical applications of the flashlight.

Why the Zanflare F3? It's a very affordable AAA flashlight closely resembling the popular Lumintop Tool AAA yet, it's hardly discussed on this forum. I thought to obtain one to review to see if it was worthy of consideration for a AAA flashlight.

Procurement Notice: I purchased the Zanflare F3 with my own funds from Gearbest.com. The price I paid was $7.99 with coupon code "F3AAA" plus shipping costs.

What's in the Box
The Zanflare F3 comes in a small box with an included instructions manual, keyring attachment, clip, and two spare O-rings. The F3 does not come supplied with a AAA battery.

Je8Cu6j.jpg

The Design
The Zanflare F3 is a single AAA-battery compact flashlight. It features Zanflare's unique knurling also found on other Zanflare models which consist of diagonal grooves cut into the main body of the flashlight. The grip is effective while proving to be comfortable to hold and aesthetically pleasing. It's a design element Zanflare applied very well. The body is straight in profile and the barrel is considerably thick for the AAA battery it houses. It fits a Panasonic Eneloop Pro AAA and Eneloop AAA to the point of perfection. It neither drops in with room to spare nor needs effort fitting in. The battery glides in nice and smooth as it's literally a perfect fit.

The F3 features a removable tail cap which mounts a reverse-clicky tail cap button. The reverse-clicky button means that the flashlight will only operate upon a full click. It does not have a momentary on function like forward-clicky buttons. The button itself is rounded, smooth, and protrudes slightly from the tail cap. This means a tail stand is not possible with this flashlight.

h83nEGX.jpg

The F3 also features a stainless steel bezel around the head. This feature is unique among small EDC flashlights of this size and price. The SS bezel may serve to protect the flashlight from damage whether from drops or simply head-standing the flashlight on hard, abrasive surfaces.
The F3 also features an orange peel reflector set behind a glass lens which is another notable design element for a AAA flashlight. Many AAA flashlights use TIR (Total Internal Reflection) optics instead of a traditional reflector. Given the F3's OP reflector, the hotspot of the beam is likely narrower than rivals with TIRs and therefore the range of throw is further. Hence, while most AAA flashlights are rated up to 50 meters in range, the F3 is rated to 75 meters, according to the manufacturer.

wrydh7n.jpg

Lastly, the clip mounts onto either of the two grooves on the F3 therefore the clip mounts in either direction, allowing versatility in clipped usage. Whether clipped on to a pocket or on a cap bill, the clip's design and tension allows for secure carry and usage.

OXCxcbw.jpg

H0hbJUc.jpg

Output Specs and Other Technical Information
The emitter is a CREE XP-G2 and the tint of the model is 6000-6500K according to the manufacturer. The tint appears to be a neutral-cool tint being neither too warm nor too cool. I believe the tint would appeal to most consumers given the balance. The F3 also has a smooth beam with no artifacts at the edge of the spill.

The Zanflare F3 has three output modes total which consist of Low, Medium, and High. The following are specifications put forth by the manufacturer:
The High mode yields 150 lumens and has a maximum run time of 42 minutes.
The Medium mode yields 35 lumens and has a maximum run time of 3.8 hours.
The Low mode yields 3 lumens and has a maximum run time of 46 hours.
It is important to note however that runtimes and even output is dependent on the type of battery used. A battery with a higher capacity would result in the flashlight running longer.
Another factor to take note is that the F3 runs on AAA alkaline or rechargeable NiMH batteries. It is not rated to operate on Li-ion 10440 batteries.
The F3 also features mode memory. If the flashlight is turned off and back on, it will resume the output level that was last used.
Below are some photos from nighttime field usage to demonstrate output in different conditions.

Control photo (no use of flashlight):
vJuXXQt.jpg

Low Mode:
uwT6wO6.jpg

Medium Mode:
TaNQa4P.jpg

High mode:
rR2FlWu.jpg

The mode spacing on the Zanflare F3 is excellent and among the best of the many flashlights I own. Each mode is useful in its own way given the ideal spacing. While the F3 does not feature a sub-lumen Moonlight mode, the Low mode of 3 lumens is excellent for low-light, close up illumination. The Medium serves as good balance between output and runtime and is sufficient for general use, even outdoors. The High mode is powerful at up to 150 lumens for a AAA and has a good range for outdoor illumination.
The following demonstrates close-range mode illumination photos. The object of focus is less than 5 feet away.

Control:
1c3rhjs.jpg

Low:
S2rSmhz.jpg

Medium:
dWXuOEi.jpg

High:
rMQ9BPl.jpg

The following is a series of photos in each output mode illuminating an object at longer range (approximately 20 feet).

Control:
2qQswD6.jpg

Low:
WrxRt1u.jpg

Medium:
CnAGk60.jpg

High:
LtpyF01.jpg

Other specs include Ingress Protection of IPX8 which indicates this flashlight is fully waterproof. It will survive total immersion in water. Impact resistance rating is for 1.5 meters. The maximum beam distance is rated at 75 meters. It should be noted that this distance rating is considerably further than most other AAA flashlights. This is likely the result of the OP reflector combined with the 150 lumen rating compared to lower output rivals with TIRs.
The following photo demonstrates range illumination.

Control:
oKTv4Ko.jpg

High:
eoRLLe9.jpg

User Interface

The Zanflare F3 features a single button which is a reverse-clicky on the tail cap. The flashlight must be fully clicked on to operate. From the on position, light taps on the button will allow the user to cycle through the three output modes of Low, Medium, and High in that order. A full click turns off the flashlight. The clicker is firm and has a solid feel. Accidental activation from unintended contact is unlikely. The F3 features mode memory so the flashlight will turn back on to the last used mode. This is useful for when the user wants a desired output immediately. For example, one can set the F3 to turn on in Low mode for use inside a dark tent while camping. Alternatively, one can set the F3 to turn on in High mode if pocket-carried as a back-up during a night hike.

Every Day Carry (EDC) Usage Notes
The Zanflare F3 was intended to be used as an everyday carry flashlight. The AAA sizing and features such as the clip and keychain attachment reflect this intention. Given the AAA size, it makes for a good EDC flashlight if one prioritized performance and durability over minimal size, weight, and maximum run times. The F3 is longer than many AAA EDC flashlights such as the Jetbeam Jet-u and Maratac AAA and also weighs considerably more. The F3 weighs 30g empty and 43g with a Panasonic Eneloop Pro with a min. 930mAh rating. However, the F3 feels substantially sturdier than a Jetbeam Jet-u and also features a tail cap and a stainless steel bezel. The body barrel is also considerably thicker and these features strongly suggest the F3 is designed to outlast many of its lightweight rivals with its build quality and robust design. However, if one prioritizes minimum form in a AAA EDC, the F3 may come across as bulkier and heavier than necessary. The heft and bulk also weighs down the F3 when used as a cap bill light. If the cap is not firmly secured on the head, it may tilt down due to the F3's weight.

Vng1GII.jpg

The following demonstrates the size of the F3. From top to bottom: Jetbeam E10R (AA), Zanflare F3 (AAA), Jetbeam Jet-UV (AAA), Jetbeam Mini-1 (10180 Li-ion).

gzS3E1o.jpg

Night Hiking Usage Notes
The Zanflare F3's heft and performance may be detrimental as a "barely there" EDC, but on a dark trail, it's an ideal compact back-up light. The performance on High reliably lights up a trail in ways smaller and weaker AAAs may come up short. Both the throw and spill of the F3 are good for illuminating a trail and I felt comfortable using the F3 to guide me through dark trails at night. Trail illumination on High pictured below:

0afYVmu.jpg

On Medium, the F3 can serve as a long-lasting trail light in emergency situations. Given the performance of the OP reflector and the robust build quality, the F3 is an ideal outdoor quick-access or back-up light. Also, with the tail cap button, one doesn't need to "find" the button in the dark to activate it like many side-button lights. It's also faster and easier to activate than a twisty out of pocket. Another factor to note is how the F3 fits in a pocket with the clip. The entire tail cap is left protruding and this makes the F3 easy to find and pull out for quick access from a pant, shirt, or bag pocket. In these ways, it's a great outdoor back-up light.

dvC2sq5.jpg

Again, the robust build quality hints that the F3 will likely better survive drops and abuse over many other AAA lights. It should be noted that the impact rating is 1.5 meters while many rivals are rated at only 1 meter.
In these regards, the F3 may serve as a better compact outdoor flashlight than rivals with a smaller form factor but with compromised output performance and durability. Simply put, the F3 feels like a tank compared to ultralight AAA flashlights like the Jetbeam Jet-u.
Lastly, the F3 is comfortable to carry for extended use. The shape, knurling, and length all lend to it being a comfortable flashlight to handle. I did not find the clip to be bothersome when carried by hand. The F3 also did not get hot even during extended High mode usage.

Criticisms
As stated earlier, the Zanflare F3 isn't a AAA flashlight of the smallest form factor. It's actually considerably heavier and longer than rivals such as the Jetbeam Jet-u which I also own (UV version and normal version on the way). With the weight, length, and thicker diameter of the body barrel, it's not exactly an EDC that you forget is with you until needed. As the picture below shows, the F3 is considerably larger than the AAA battery that powers it.

P1DoCPF.jpg

Other criticisms may be best discussed while compared to its most direct competitor; the popular and revered Lumintop Tool AAA. The most significant difference is the weight. The F3 is nearly double the weight of the Tool AAA when empty despite nearly the same length. Also, while the F3 has a brighter High, the Tool has longer run times on its lower modes. The Tool is also offered with different emitters, body materials, and UIs (rear clicky or twisty with magnetic-tail). On the contrary, the F3 is only offered in one version as of now. That being said, the F3 looks to have a higher max output and longer throw distance. If one wanted something more powerful and longer throwing than the Tool AAA without compromising the form factor, the F3 may fit the bill.
Lastly, while the UI is good for the flashlight, it takes getting used to. It's easy to accidentally turn off the flashlight while intending to cycle through the modes. Also, given it's a reverse-clicky, there is no momentary on which is convenient in quick check or tactical usage applications.

Conclusion
Despite its shortcomings with the hefty build, the Zanflare F3 is a truly fantastic AAA flashlight for the price. Consider that I bought this for only $7.99 with a coupon code and it was even offered with free shipping on Gearbest.com. It's also often on sale for $9.99 so one can easily procure it for under $10. For the price, the build quality of the F3 is superb and the output performance is among the best for those running a AAA battery (not including Li-ion 10440 batteries). While compatibility with a 10440 battery may boost output to over 300 lumens like the UltraTac K18, run times would be significantly cut down to the point of questioning the practicality. Personally, I don't see the point of a AAA-sized flashlight running Li-ion when there are 14500 and 16340 flashlights available to better balance power and run times. The F3 balances a good output and throw with reasonable run times with an Eneloop NiMH AAA battery. Factoring the bargain price, strong performance and throw, and excellent build quality, it's quite surprising many people haven't jumped on this flashlight.
While the F3 isn't the best thing to put in a pocket or keyring to forget about until needed, it serves as a reliable and sturdy light. It's built to survive and there isn't anything about the build quality that appears to compromise the durability of the flashlight. In essence, this is the AAA you want in a tool box or outdoor adventure to survive a beating in ways a miniscule AAA may not.

So should you buy this over the Tool AAA? It's hard to say given I don't own a Tool AAA to directly compare it to. However, for the price of $7.99, it was a no-brainer to add to my collection yet it turned out to be a pleasant surprise given it offers a lot for the price. As an EDC, you can probably do better but if you're looking for a high-value, sturdy compact back-up light to not only survive but perform during your adventures, then the Zanflare F3 should not disappoint.

Last edited:

niraya

Newly Enlightened
Very balanced, comprehensive review.

I can say that anything I had/have from Zanflare (F1, F3, C4) was very thoughtfully designed and very well build plus great value when bought with coupon, BUT everything is so oversized, so humongous like if designed by some Gullivers. :popcorn:

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.
I agree about Zanflare's value. They are fantastic for the money. I also own a Zanflare F1 and have purchased F6S' as gifts for others. Much like the F3, all of them are well-made while being very affordable, especially on sale or with a coupon code. While I think the F3 and the F6S' are larger than they need to be, the F1 is about the right size for a 18650 flashlight with a USB port.

Zanflare is an interesting brand because they don't seem to try emulate the trends of what everyone else is doing. It's like they have their own design philosophy. The F1 isn't a tactical flashlight but more a practical, balanced, and convenient flashlight and the F3 was designed to be an overall good pocket light rather than some ultralight, tiny EDC light. The F6S' are big and heavy (brass construction plus whistle) for a 10180 keychain light, but also offer features and build quality not common on other similar lights for that price range.
While Zanflare's products may not appeal to flashlight enthusiasts who are often looking for certain specific criteria in a product, the Zanflare series really do seem to offer affordable, well-balanced products that most people can appreciate in general use. In essence, for the price and quality, they make excellent gifts for people who aren't flashlight snobs.

niraya

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.
While I think the F3 and the F6S' are larger than they need to be, the F1 is about the right size for a 18650 flashlight with a USB port.
Every single USB rechargable 18650 light I have (I have/had six such lights from Manker, Armytek, Klarus, Astrolux.....) is much, MUCH smaller than Zanflare F1. :whistle:

Last edited:

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
Every single USB rechargable 18650 light I have (I have/had six such lights from Manker, Armytek, Klarus, Astrolux.....) is much, MUCH smaller than Zanflare F1. :whistle:

Which models? All of mine are larger (especially if they have a bigger reflector for better throw) or around the same size as the Zanflare F1. I own a Nitecore SRT7, Klarus XT12GT, Fenix TK15S2, and FiTorch P20R as my 18650-powered lights. The only comparable one that's significantly smaller is my late 90's Surefire 6P with a LED conversion head. However, the Surefire doesn't even fit 18650s as it was specifically designed to run on two primary CR123As.
Either way, I agree that the Zanflares aren't designed with a minimal profile in mind but they do offer good performance and value with thoughtful designs.

On a side note, my Jetbeam Jet-U (non-UV version) arrived a day after I wrote this review. It is significantly lighter and smaller than the Zanflare F3, much like the UV version. However, the Zanflare does throw further with a tighter hot spot, making it better for the outdoors. The Jetbeam is better as an EDC but the Zanflare is better for outdoor or duty use, I think.

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened
I'm updating this review regarding a recent experience with Zanflare's customer service. While my F3 that I reviewed is functioning fine, my Zanflare F1 failed after normal use. I contacted Zanflare given they have a 3 year free replacement warranty for the F1 as explicitly stated in their owner's manual. They asked for a video demonstrating the issue and responded that it was likely a tail cap failure.
However, they initially offered me only a 50% refund and claimed that all F1s were currently sold out. Keep in mind they were in stock and on sale on Amazon and Gearbest when they claimed this. I stated that I simply wanted a replacement product and even offered to take an F2 as a replacement if the F1 was unavailable. They declined and after I stated that I bought the F1 on Gearbest, they absconded from any responsibility and stated that any claim needed to be submitted to Gearbest. Mind you, Gearbest is a reseller and not the manufacturer. I contacted Gearbest anyway and they stated they only offer a 1 year warranty that is separate from the manufacturer warranty. I had bought the product a little over a year before the issue. I contact Zanflare about Gearbest's response and they now simply refuse to honor any sort of warranty. They will neither refund or exchange the failed F1 and refuse to take any responsibility of the warranty.

Given this horrible experience with Zanflare's dishonest and deceptive customer service regarding a valid warranty claim, I am revoking any recommendation of Zanflare products. I would advise anyone reading this to avoid the brand given my experience. It's especially frustrating to me given I own a number of Zanflare products such as the F1, F3, F6, and T1 which I used to hold in high regard. However, I will now be avoiding the brand given this experience.

Latest posts