How to induce copper patina?

HaileStorm

Enlightened
A quick search in CPF via Tapatalk didn't bring about any result and I know Google has a lot of results in inducing patina on copper. But I dont want to damage the lens of the light with strong acids, I'm afraid it might result in the optics frosting. My apologies in advance if this question has been asked.

So my question is, how do you SAFELY induce copper patina without disassembling the light? I'm afraid of damaging it. I know I can soak it in water but I dont want the green patina, I just want a sort of dark bluish-black patina on the light.

The light in question, btw, is a copper Lumintop Tool if that helps.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pee on it :) I know when they changed out some copper plates on the roof on old churches, they used pee to age it in a hurry.
But if the light is a user, then it will never get that old patina. Pocket wear will buff it out and make it shiny again in no time.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Pee on it :) I know when they changed out some copper plates on the roof on old churches, they used pee to age it in a hurry.
But if the light is a user, then it will never get that old patina. Pocket wear will buff it out and make it shiny again in no time.
Okay, I'm uneasy about peeing on something that I'm going to be touching om a regular basis [emoji23]

Anyway, my wife already thinks I'm weird for having so many lights. If she finds out that I peed on one purposely, I'm afraid that will be the end of our marriage [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
Handle it (get the oils and such from your hands on it), then set it in the sun. Or it you're brave, take a torch to it. Any patina can be undone by polishing it since it's a surface oxidation

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you use the pee method, you will never hold that light in your mouth hehe. It's hard to polish it back between the knurling. So if you dont like the result, putting it in ketchup or cola overnight will make it shiny again.

d13avo

Enlightened
I am not sure but I think I heard somewhere to use lemon juice but I could be wrong so look it up first. Come to think of it that might have been to clean it! Sorry.

Last edited:

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Handle it (get the oils and such from your hands on it), then set it in the sun. Or it you're brave, take a torch to it. Any patina can be undone by polishing it since it's a surface oxidation
Great info, thanks! I'm going to try and give it two more weeks by keeping it in my hands more often then go with the ammonia route if nothing happens.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
if you use the pee method, you will never hold that light in your mouth hehe. It's hard to polish it back between the knurling. So if you dont like the result, putting it in ketchup or cola overnight will make it shiny again.
Thanks! Will try the ketchup if anything goes wrong.

I kept the clip on and it kinda bothers me that the portion under the clip is shinier than the rest of the light. So I'm thinking of repeating the whole proceess again.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_20180218_115050.jpg

For use on copper jewelry

Pick your preferred color of patina
Want weathered, used like a penny, or 20+ year old?
You decide...

Last edited: