Do you think you could help me with my website?

Wylie

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
With any luck a project I have been working on for years will be shown on Tech TV. I am trying to clean up my website as to not detour or loose interest from visitors and I have found something that really is bothering me.
It seems just about every link I have on my website that links outside my website loads the link and at the same time also a script error page.
This script error reads as follows in red text.
<font color="red">It looks like there was an error:
The script did not return proper headers. If you are the owner of this script, you will want to make sure that it properly outputs header information so that a page can be displayed as part of its execution. If you are not the owner of the script, please contact the owner and let him or her know that there is a problem.</font>

First of all do you get the same error page when loading my email link from my Contact Me page? And second would any of you be so kind as to inform me of how I can make this problem go away?

My website is at www.wylierods.com and the page links are listed at the top of the home page.

Thanks for anything you may be able to help me with,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif Wylie

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do you think you could help me with my website

I'm not really a web guy. However, I get no errors when viewing your page. I am using Mozilla version 1.4 on a Linux (Xandros 2.0) operating system.

You could try running your page through W3C Markup Validator and see if you can find any glaring code problems.

Mike

jtice

Flashaholic

All seems fine for me also.
I am using Slim Browser.

03lab

Enlightened

Safari opens a Tripod Pop-Up ad when I click on the mail link. Did you use the Tripod scripts or are they making you use them because your site is hosted there?

[edit] Firefox and Internet Explorer (Mac) also open the window. The other Pop-Up is blocked by the browser. The mail link works fine with all three browsers.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you need a new web host!

Your page is infested with data-mining cookies, popup windows and Iframe Doubleclick banners apparently for "adult overtones" (meaning pr0n) content. The link to TechTV opens a new, non-standard IE window (no toolbars, strange size) that my security settings prevent from loading any further. Clicking your e-mail link on the contact page opens a identical window this time with a Tripod search page, then opens my e-mail message window after that finished loading. It is likely there is some unpleasent script planted in your page by your webhost that wants to keep tracks of everything everyone does as well as force-feeding advertsing everywhere, and that script has been acting up now and then.

I still host the Torch Reviews Site on Tripod, but only because they were the one I chose originally when I couldn`t afford to pay for hosting, and don`t have the time right now to go looking round for new, cheaper/better ones. Their free service used to be OK if a little annoying (one banner *or* one small popup) but now is diabolical and just about unusable by anyone. Multiple popups plus on-page banners plus endless cookies/tracking plus goodness knows what else. But their "pro" subscription upgrade clears all the junk out leaving only the code you wrote in the first place. I would suggest for a quick-fix, to upgrade your hosting plan. It costs a few bucks but will get you out of trouble for now, and you can consider looking for a better host in the future when time permits.

Unfortunately these days, free webhosts are not worth the trouble, especially for commercial sites. You will only drive potential customers away, which is a bad thing indeed!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

PopSwatter got the first popup (when I first entered the site), then Popup Stopper got the other two when I changed pages. The pages themselves looked OK. But IE6 hung and crashed when I tried using the mail link. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I expected my email client (Netscape Communicator) to open up a window for me to type an email into, but that did not occur. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Wylie

Enlightened

Yikes!
I figured things to be about that bad and I am even surprised I have been getting as many hits as the counter has registered after I visited my website.
It sounds as though my best option for the fix is to pay the couple bucks a month to clear everything up. Looks like my savings on overhead after moving to Idaho will be spent on my website.

_Mike_, Thanks for the link and looking over my website. I'll add the link to my favorites for reference later.
jtice, What ever you are running keep it because it sounds like it's working for you. Thanks jtice.
03lab, Yes I did use everything directly from the Tripod web site and Trellix shareware they host. Sounds like you looked over the email very well and I definitely appreciate it.
Chris M., Thanks I know I need a new web host /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif. At a poor rod builders wage a real good web host is not really in the budget. Most fishermen prefer to put the product in hand before making a purchase and the shelves are where I need to put my largest investment for that reason.
Are you pulling my chain about the adult material thing? That wouldn't go over well through the southern bible belt and most of my best interest areas.
Wormmon,
Catchy name that POP SWATTER, it gave me a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif . Oh man what a hit and miss deal that email thing is. Maybe it's just because I am trying load my own email address through my website. Thanks for taking a look and chiming in.

Hey it's real great you guys are trying to help me out here. Lately it has seemed as though I have been in the middle of some kind of a conspiracy but that could all very well be reading way to much into a bunch of bad luck.

EDIT: You know I didn't mention this but I'm just not sure this Tech TV thing is going to pan out. It's been a while since I have heard anyhthing from Tech TV and I have a had a fear some unfavorables may have swayed interests they have expressed through emails that were sent to me.
Maybe I should have sent them an illuminator laser rod as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks guys, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
Wylie

Wylie

Enlightened

I thought I better send out another thanks to all of you that have visited my website today trying to lend a hand. My counter has like 40 more hits then usual, you guys rock!

paulr

Flashaholic

Links seem to work for me (Mozilla 1.2). My browser stopped any popups and embeds. There may have just been a temporary problem with some Geocities script sending out invalid HTTP headers.

I dunno of free hosting without popups, but you can get decent hosting for a couple bucks a month these days. Lots of ISP accounts also come with some web space.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

<font color="800080">Are you pulling my chain about the adult material thing? That wouldn't go over well through the southern bible belt and most of my best interest areas.
</font>
No sir, straight up! I looked at the page source and found this among the code for the on-page banner at the top of the page:

... ;!category=adult;!category=sexualovertones; ...

Doubleclick ads don`t show up here, they are blocked along with a lot else so I can only wonder what sort of unpleasentries it shows everyone else. Can`t be good with code like that though. I guess it`s all the references to "rods"....?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Wylie

Enlightened

Chris I think your right because I have had some surprises looking for rod building components. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif !!!!!!
Thanks you totally set me up for that one.

paulr,
Thanks for stopping by crazy thing with my computer is sometimes the pop ups are blocked and other times not. I think I got spooks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

richpalm

Banned

Get rid of that host!! This is popup hell defined. Without a popup killer I can't even navigate the site.

This is only for me... but when I get popups like that I quit the site(s) immediately. If I do a search on Google, etc. for something, I avoid anything from Tripod, Lycos or Geoshitties-the sites are useless with ads or just gone anyway.

Good luck!

Rich

Wylie

Enlightened

With all this it may just be better to change hosts but something like $8 bucks a month might clear enough for most people to find the detour popups tolerible. I've been kind bent with all the big manufacturers having ads on my website, something must be done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
Looks like its time for another question post about a new host and weight the options.
My website host sucks but its free you guys rock!
Thanks again to all you guys,
Wylie

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're trying to sell me something on your website, you can't have pop-ups. Period. End of story.

Having pop-ups on a commercial website is intolerable. You will lose alot of business. People are turned off by the "cheese" factor, and you'll never be taken seriously with a commercial website on one of those free webhosting sites. That's just the way it is.

Peter

Wylie

Enlightened

Check and double check check! I have to agree with you Peter. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened

more pictures less text, your rods look great, loads of text looks daunting.

Lots of better free hosting options than tripod/geocities etc. ad nauseum.

First stop your ISP, most have some free space bundled as long as commercial use is permitted.

If you dont have enough or any, try looking at couple of directories:

http://www.free-webhosts.com

http://www.webhosts4free.com

What turned out to be myth, if your thinking of voting,story for another day, took less than 2 hours from a `public` internet connection and cost nothing:

http://www.led-myths.tk

hosted and assembled free on www.freewebs.com
free re-director .tk domain www.dot.tk
odds and ends,guestmap, counter, www.bravenet.com
search engine submitter www.trafficzap.com

HTH

Adam

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use Amhosting. They have good prices and I have not had a problem with them since I started my web site a couple of years ago. I am using the "plesk" plan right now, but will be switching to the expert soon. The plesk is the one to go with if you need help. The expert is cheaper, but they offer no help, just customer service if a problem is their fault.

Good luck

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also, you might want to remove your "cheers and jeers" equivalent on your site.

It may make people a bit more cautious when they decide if they want to work with you or not... One, you have highlighted some negative experiences (which are probably not your fault) and two, they may worry that you will publish experiences with them too.

Of course, it is your site and product--but keeping your public image squeaky clean will probably help entice new customers and business for you. Corporations spend big buck with lawyers and ad agents to keep their reputation sparkling.

-Bill

Wylie

Enlightened

You guys are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for the suggestions and compliments.
Thank you so much.
Here's the latest for a man in Mn.
f97b0288.jpg

It's still in the works.
This kind of makes me want to see some others handy crafts.
I hope you can see the picture, I can't.

Keep it real, bright, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wylie

Latest posts