S2R Baton -- intermittent problem

ScottJ

Newly Enlightened
Hi! Let me first say I've sent Olight a message about this since the flashlight is under warranty, but I thought I'd post here just to see if anyone else has encountered a problem.

I bought an S2R Baton recently from OlightStore, and I've used it mostly indoors. Recently, I went to turn the light on and it was dead. At first I thought maybe I'd left it on and killed the battery, but checking with a meter showed the battery open circuit voltage was exactly what I'd expect. But when I reinstalled the battery in the light, it was still dead. Not on lockout, I checked that. Nothing I could do with the button would make the light come on.

Yes, I am sure I took the sticker off the battery. The light had been working fine.

I tried dropping it on the charging dock. No change. It acted as if it wasn't making contact with the charger, either.

After taking off the tailcap and putting it back on about two more times, the light suddenly started working. It worked great for about a week and three charge cycles, then the same thing happened again.

This is one weird symptom. It's almost as if something in the tailcap isn't making good contact, but everything seems clean and bright.

The special battery they use ... a LiCo 18650 with both + and - contacts at the tail, about 1 mm apart ... that's kind of scary. What if something like a bit of metal shaving from the threads got into that 1mm gap and shorted it? Sounds like a recipe for kaboom.

Anyone had anything similar happen to an S2R?

Cobraman502

Enlightened
You probably need to disassemble the tailcap and clean it. It's possible the internals of the tailcap need to be tightened a bit.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Olight sent a review unit of S30R III that had similar problem like you describe and more, except it arrived with those problems to start with. As the tailcap of S2R and S30RIII is similar, I temporary use the tailcap from S2R in the S30RIII for the testing and review. Olight then sent a replacement tailcap that works and said that they've made minor adjustment to the tailcap assembly to address the issue. No issue with the replacement tailcap since.

Similar to other non-rechargeable lights, you can check if the problem is with the switch/head assembly or the tailcap by doing a by-pass between the battery positive terminal and the S2R body (be careful not to short the positive and negative terminal at the battery side, better yet, do this with a normal 18650 battery and not the Olight custom battery). If the light can be turn on, it's likely the problem lies with the tailcap. Tightening the tailcap retaining ring may solve the problem too (but in my case, the retaining-ring seems stucked/cross-threaded).

Latest posts