Hot tenting on the AT during a snow storm.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Just posting the pics of an outing using my gear.

Go!

mhLVXrF.jpg

This glacial erratic along the trial.

1Odxghn.jpg

Snow moving in. I got setup just before.

pXoW5fT.jpg

3j4wgOQ.jpg

gBAJRcY.jpg

Seekoutside SXL stove with DIY Robber.

9zHwJMP.jpg

zgqYcgR.jpg

Bacon!!!

67ODUxl.jpg

3WloIQZ.jpg

Nice sunny day. Maybe 5 inches the night before no big deal.

O5V2qeq.jpg

vhS1wES.jpg

The shelter material acts like a green house. Maybe 30's outside but felt 70 inside.

sbFhxKg.jpg

Foraging wood. Some kinda shrub maybe witch hazel. I am not sure but it's dead and off the ground.

sN1oEh4.jpg

xQjE7KK.jpg

Should be enough wood for late day till early am. Had extra which wasn't burned. The stove sips wood.

8hgnGtD.jpg

White Birch!!

fPGDYYF.jpg

I3WFcHK.jpg

Worked great to ignite a DIY twig stove. I would use it later to start the tent stove.

h6Zvakn.jpg

Dusk.

kaAKeAx.jpg

Nitecore Lantern running 18650.

FfCuVzl.jpg

c4KOAOw.jpg

All of my electronics running off 18650 including cell phone... indirectly...

AEw3e0P.jpg

xYPsG2x.jpg

Pepperoni fried in bacon grease.

9t5Afnh.jpg

That mystery wood. Put off good heat and coaled well with some sparking but not bad.

MkcD6wO.jpg

kozuNv5.jpg

Rocky ground and clomping snow made hiking with a pack a bit harder.

GRtupoA.jpg

HVFK0yt.jpg

That's it. Just a few days on the trail with my kit!

AQO2aYO.jpg

wweiss

Enlightened
Nice - this is the AT near Cornwall, NY?

Stove looks like you could forge horseshoes on it. Get an 8 hour burn?

Nice rig....

tigman_tim

Newly Enlightened
Hi WW,
looks like FUN!!!
But cooking bacon(grease on tent walls) = bears visiting your tent in the summer time.
Have you had any issues with animals?

Woods Walker

Hi WW,
looks like FUN!!!
But cooking bacon(grease on tent walls) = bears visiting your tent in the summer time.
Have you had any issues with animals?

No issues though did once have a fox run in.... grab something to eat.... then run out right in front of my eye some years ago. Thanks for looking!

Woods Walker

Just need a BioLite camp stove to charge your lights and phone... While you cook pepperoni...
I have looked at those, maybe one day but never had a problem running out of power. In fact always have a BIG surplus. I do carry a panel with built in lithium ion battery on one pack and have some powerbanks with built in panels one of which was packed though the little one takes 3 days to get enough power to charge my phone assuming 5 good hours of sun a day. Maybe 2.5 days. I tested it but gotta find that note book. Then again it's fully charged with a real (tested) 5000 mAh powerbank and it rarely gets used up. The larger 7 w panel with built in 2000 mAh charges the battery really fast. In around 4 hours. There is a thin monster power bank holding 1650 mAh inside it's zippered pocket. Of course moving the energy around is not free. Very often it's just more UL and easier to carry an extra 18650 battery...

Power Add Apollo. It's actually really good for this class of gear item. Real 1 watt panel and actual 5000 mAh lithium polymer battery. Also real 2A with an LED with which requires a good long press to turn on to prevent accidental activation.

zeKtJCK.jpg

rJc1Q8j.jpg

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Nice - this is the AT near Cornwall, NY?

Stove looks like you could forge horseshoes on it. Get an 8 hour burn?

Nice rig....

Not that long. Maybe around 1 hour per stoke of active area heating however can often hold coals overnight.

Booga

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a great adventure. Forgive me if I missed you mentioning it (I watched the videos on silent at work) but does all that hot tent kit fit in your green backpack? Or do you use a sled as well?