Where can I have a switch boot cover custom made?

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm restoring an old light and I cannot source an original switch boot/cover. It's similar in size to a Maglite or McClicky switch and I've e-mailed a couple places that advertise prototyping small parts with no luck. I'm sure it's much too small of a job for them. I was wondering if maybe anyone tried to do this at home with an equivalent part or if someone knew someone that might have some time to do a smaller project. I'm not too worried about cost or a minimum order I'm just looking to get something made up in a decent amount of time. I figured if anyone knew it would be here. I can provide pics of the switch cover if needed but I am 100% certain it's long out of production and I've searched high and low for a replacement. Thanks guys!!!

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have the dimensions that you are looking for? Posting a picture might help. Here are a few switch boots in different dimensions which could possibly be modified to fit your needs.
These are from McMaster Carr and can be purchased in single units.
Covers for Toggle Switches
Protect toggle switches from moisture and dust by replacing your panel mounting nuts with these rubber covers.
Size For Max.
Toggle Dia. Overall Ht. Material Includes Specifications Met Choose a Color Each
1/4"-40 0.06" 0.5" Silicone Rubber Mounting Nut UL Recognized, C-UL Recognized Black, Gray, Red, White 70205K2 $5.68
1/4"-40 0.06" 0.59" Silicone Rubber Mounting Nut UL Recognized, C-UL Recognized Black, Gray, Red, White 70205K3 5.68
15/32"-32 0.22" 0.94" Silicone Rubber Mounting Nut UL Recognized, C-UL Recognized Black, Gray, Red, White 70205K4 4.20
15/32"-32 0.22" 1.09" Silicone Rubber Mounting Nut UL Recognized, C-UL Recognized Black, Gray 70205K75 5.28
15/32"-32 0.3" 1.11" Silicone Rubber Mounting Nut UL Recognized, C-UL Recognized Black, Gray 70205K29 7.53
1/2"-32 0.22" 0.84" Silicone Rubber Mounting Nut UL Recognized, C-UL Recognized Black, Gray 70205K77 4.92
M12 0.23" 0.86" Silicone Rubber Mounting Nut UL Recognized, C-UL Recognized Black 70205K26 5.28
Grainger:
For Use With: IP66/68 Rated Pushbutton-Actuated Switches
Push Button Boot 3/16" 5/16" - 3/8" APM HEXSEAL 1UDL2 $3.85 / each
Push Button Boot 3/16" 5/16" - 3/8" APM HEXSEAL 1UDL3 $3.85 / each
Push Button Boot 27/64" 35/64" - 5/8" APM HEXSEAL 1UDL1 $3.50 / each
Push Button Boot 33/64" 39/64" - 3/4" APM HEXSEAL 1UDK9 $3.40 / each
For Use With: Marine, Industrial Controls, Power Tools, Chemical Food Processing Equipment, Communications, Test Equipment, Commercial and Consumer Appliances, Instrument Panels
Armored Toggle Switch Boot 7/32" 7/8" 5/8" 2-1/4" APM HEXSEAL 1UDJ2 $7.55 / each
Push Button Boot 27/64" 35/64" - 5/8" APM HEXSEAL 1UDK6 $3.50 / each
Push Button Boot 27/64" 35/64" - 5/8" APM HEXSEAL 1UDK5 $3.15 / each
Push Button Boot 27/64" 23/32" - 5/8" APM HEXSEAL 1UDK8 $3.50 / each
Push Button Boot 27/64" 23/32" - 5/8" APM HEXSEAL 1UDK7 $3.15 / each

For Use With: Mfr. No. MH11
Push Button Boot - - - - HUBBELL WIRING DEVICE-KELLEMS 3HZ98 $12.40 / each
Buying one of these boots and modifying it might be infinitely less expensive than having one produced.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!!

They are the switch cover on the left below:

FhjlpbR.jpg

eUIJskQ.jpg

The switch on the right is a stock Maglite switch cover. The switch cover I'm looking for is slightly larger and doesn't have the flange.

Lightknot, thanks!! I have Grainger at work and I'll check those out.

The OD of the seal is 0.725".

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The learning curve shouldn't be too bad with learning to cast silicone.
One of the custom builders here might already do it.
Lots of model makers cast rubber, epoxy, low temp metals.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My thought was Grainger as well.

Or source the switch covers for industrial garage door controllers, security gate controllers and overhead crane controls.
I speculate that woulda been the sort of thing Don Keller would've use back when the bodies were made of irragation pipe. So in the early Maglite days that may have been their source until the "mag-size" covers were created.

Best of luck Lift'd, that's a toughy there.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Some good leads but I've searched high and low to no avail.

Does anyone know someone who would cast or make a cover like this? Even if it's expensive or I have to place a large minimum order that's ok. Thanks again!!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the thickest (black) Theraband? Cut it yourself and maybe you can press fit the edge.

Can you fashion some kind of material and glue it to the top on the switch post, knowing that it may not be water resistant?

It's all I got..

Phlogiston

Enlightened
Maybe some thin silicone rubber?

My idea would be: cut a plain circle to be the part of the boot you press, and cut a slightly wider ring shaped piece to space the first part above the switch and form the flange around the edge. Glue them together with silicone sealant.

It wouldn't be rounded like yours, but it might work?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check Digikey or Newark electronics. You may have to purchase a switch with the boot.

Custom switch boots are expensive as you need both a male and female mandrel.

The casting silicones you can purchase are not tear resistant, so I wouldn't use them. A urethane would be a better material choice.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a neat reusable mould making material suitable for room temperature materials like silicone or plaster of Paris, you can get it here: http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/p...8QrX_HyjcIDS2ocNsY8w0j7UTFNFDeTxoC0z8QAvD_BwE

And here's a 1:1 silicone mould compound: http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/p...8QrX_HyjcIDS2ocNsY8w0j7UTFNFDeTxoC0z8QAvD_BwE
-honestly you might enjoy the process of working it out, make some test casts of coins and whatnot first to get the details worked out.
You'd need to add pigment.

That's one case of what someone would have to buy or have already bought, along with time and practice for a bit of learning curve in order to make some custom switch boots.
I'd recommend doing it, having fun with the process, and then making all the silicone moulds you can within the 60 day open bottle shelf life of the two part silicone.