greetings, and slashdot

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
First off, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to you folks. Looking at my history of obsession, er, interest with flashlights, I figure I'll be here often. =) I've constantly read up on Brock's/Craig's LED sites, and have given into the fact that I will end up spending at least $50/month on a flashlight.

Well, I just purchased my 12th LED light (Arc AAA)! Woohoo! Too bad it's backordered... I am such a fan of flashlights that I am seriously considering driving 100 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart... hmmm... Bah, oh well - I will... eagerly wait for that light to arrive, as I found the Infinity to be a tad too heavy on my neck.

Anyhow... seeing as how LED lights were brought up again on slashdot (http://www.slashdot.org - you know, the geek news site), I was just curious as to what everyone's feelings were on how the LED light community (so to speak) is doing in terms of promoting itself.

I know I'm personally responsible for at least several hundred LED flashlight purchases amongst friends -- it's not that hard of a sell -- once they see the advantages, they're sold. I just was wondering why I have yet to see any mainstream company make a LED light and push/promote it...

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF!

Good point about telling the story of LED's. How about a LED illumiNation (etc) trade show open to the public.

Other ways:

- Have the notables appear in movies and tv shows
- More choices at stores like Wal/Kmart, Radio Shack (7000+ stores), etc.
- Roundups in mainstream magazines (my personal fav is to appear in PS/PM)

Peter Gransee

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
$50/month! Wow. You definitely have found the place to hang out on the web. Welcome.

I'm always interested in marketing and have been thinking a lot about LED flashlights. I think the Photon II would represent the best product for making a big impact on the general public. It packs a lot of light into a very small package at a moderate price. This makes it different enough to stand out. Everyone I've shown or given one to has loved it. The manufacturer should be making a greater effort to sell these at the retail level.

The Brinkman is also a very marketable light because of its low price and familiar flashlight form factor. However, I don't believe Brinkman did a good enough job with the packaging to make people realize that this is something different. Something special.

I also believe the PAL lights could sell well on the retail level. It offers good output, very long life and a neat form factor.

Personally I don't believe the general consumer will have much interest in the more expensive LED flashlights. They just don't play with flashlights enough to consider spending a lot of money for a flashlight that may be dimmer than a standard halogen model. These will remain niche products until higher output LEDs become affordable.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

funny, i showed a friend of a friend the brinkmann and he thought it was brighter than his 3d mag. quality of light {led} made an impression! the rare occasion i need the 4d incadescant mag-lites "throw" is when i need to check on the "little dog" who may have wandered 100ft or so. a bit far for most led lights, unless?