Prometheus        
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foursevens: Research Poll- what do you want to see?

Default Re: Foursevens: Research Poll- what do you want to see?

Quote Originally Posted by ronniepudding View Post
    1xAA Mini Mk II (or Mk III?) would be great with Nichia 219... also reprise the Atom A0 keychain light (Ti, 219) with a progressive interface like the rest of the Atom line. And whether or not the old Quark interfaces can be brought back, make new Quarks compatible with old Quark bodies, tail caps, etc.
    I agree with ronniepudding:
    +1 on making Atom A0 titanium (Nichia 219) with progressive interface, like it's larger siblings in the Atom Line.
    +1 on making new Quarks physically compatible with the old legacy Quarks.

Flashaholic

2*AA QUARK PRO with turbo head.

Just for those who don't know:

Regarding the Quark Pro and Tactical user interface, and I am at least as big a fan as anyone of those, it can't come back. Suefire closed the door on that in their legal settlement with FourSevens. The head twist is not going to change the brightness of the light.

But I would be all for a thread-compatible series with a new and innovative interface. Maybe like the Quark Click, but with a more open, user programmable interface. Pick how many modes, 1 to 5 (plus possible blinkies, if you have to) and which ones if less than 5, ascending or descending, with memory or with a default mode - say lowest when ascending brightness and highest when descending brightness. I'd buy that in a heartbeat! Lego ready!

Maybe it could have a few popular pre-set interfaces for the masses, plus a "full programmable" interface for, you know, REAL men.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post

Regarding the Quark Pro and Tactical user interface, and I am at least as big a fan as anyone of those, it can't come back. Suefire closed the door on that in their legal settlement with FourSevens. The head twist is not going to change the brightness of the light.

But I would be all for a thread-compatible series with a new and innovative interface. Maybe like the Quark Click, but with a more open, user programmable interface. Pick how many modes, 1 to 5 (plus possible blinkies, if you have to) and which ones if less than 5, ascending or descending, with memory or with a default mode - say lowest when ascending brightness and highest when descending brightness. I'd buy that in a heartbeat! Lego ready!

Maybe it could have a few popular pre-set interfaces for the masses, plus a "full programmable" interface for, you know, REAL men.
    And for those that have never owned one, the threads on the tailcaps had their anodizing removed to disable tailcap lockout.

What about all the old foursevens patents for lights like the Maelstrom X7 with progressive outputs?

X7!? Yes, please! One Neutral and one Cool White, both 18650 compatible, with morning coffee.

Is the progressive output function something Foursevens could offer, sans legal issues with Suefire?

~ Chance
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

My Wish List:
    No PWM
    4000k Neutral for indoor night time EDC
    80+ CRI latest gen Cree emitters. 90 CRI versions have ugly green tint.
    AA or rechargeable 18650 so I can buy a bunch for gifts to non flashaholics.

P0 nichia219b in Copper!!!
    In for at least 10.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    And for those that have never owned one, the threads on the tailcaps had their anodizing removed to disable tailcap lockout.

What about all the old foursevens patents for lights like the Maelstrom X7 with progressive outputs?
    Head twist to select mode is used on other lights, http://www.sunwayman-usa.com/sunwaym...r-natural.html, http://eagletac.com/html/p25lc2/index.html

In general the possibility to select mode without the light being on, and program the light to use customizable modes is a must. The tactician from surefire is really just like my QT2l-x but with no programming. Elzetta is using twist tail cap to choose modes, that is off the table as well?

Quote Originally Posted by pomah View Post
    Head twist to select mode is used on other lights, http://www.sunwayman-usa.com/sunwaym...r-natural.html, http://eagletac.com/html/p25lc2/index.html

In general the possibility to select mode without the light being on, and program the light to use customizable modes is a must. The tactician from surefire is really just like my QT2l-x but with no programming. Elzetta is using twist tail cap to choose modes, that is off the table as well?
    I agree. I think they built the Tactician upon the QT2L-X's characteristics also.
    I have hope to see what comes in the future .

Edit: Also the X7 does not employ the contact of the body and head to employ the brightness changes,
    but a series of contacts within the head, so maybe if the anodizing on the threads were to be removed?
    Finger Crossed
    Last edited by Got Lumens?; 03-09-2018 at 05:59 PM.

I like simple lights. 1x and 2x aa, aaa and cr123. Typically with a 2-3modes including a max brigtness and a low mode. Strobe/flash isnt necessary. Rock solid durability and waterproofness are. As are dirt tough forward clickies.

Another request but might kind of be unrealistic but i always thought an 18650 version of the new mini would be an awesome compact light. Also maybe make a new mini driver that can program memory/no memory/hybrid
    Granny shiftin not double clutchin like you should

Wanted: quark 18650 body and malkoff wildcat v5 5000k mtg2 head

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

Joseís idea reminds me of my old Niteye/Jetbeams-I bought custom made adapterís for a few of them and since the 16340 size lights already accommodated the 18350ís it was easy and cheap for the adapters. Then I had a very versatile light with selector ring for brightness. I still have every one-I never worry about dings or dents. The Mini MKII are awesome lights, but would need a pretty substantial change to fit 18650ís. The rare as a unicorn Four Sevens 18650 body I have required an adapter(internal) that apparently not only accommodated the size change but also had a spring and small PCB inside-I confess I never really knew what itís purpose was but I sure love having the runtime of 18650ís with the original Quark UI...

Flashaholic

Would just like the Quark line brought back. The Tactical interface (2 mode) and regular interface (no memory mode). And more lights that use 26650's

Preon Revo Stainless in neutral. One I regret never buying when I could. Also, xpl hi neutral 18650 quarks. Pro interface.

A&Q Moderator

Edit. Lock out feature on some lights would be nice. The Quark Turbo had it but not the regular.
    Last edited by Woods Walker; 03-24-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post
    Edit. Lock out feature on some lights would be nice. The Quark Turbo had it but not the regular.
    Unfortunately Surefire suing Foursevens a few years ago prevents this from coming back, along with the Quark feature where you rotate the head to access different configurations.

Yup. Only one 'r' in Suefire, BTW.

I think Jason can come up with something cool. I just want a UI like the Quark Pro was with the head loose, that I can select which of the 5 brightness outputs it scrolls, defaulting to lowest first. All 5 or a subset, all the way down to single mode. Should be pretty simple - just enter a programming mode with "x" half presses, say 10, and have it start to scroll through from moonlight. Do a half press to select, or wait a couple of seconds for the next one. After the last one, it is memorized for however many you half pressed on during the scroll through. Pretty dang easy to change for different uses that way.

And if you must, it could have strobe, SOS and beacon at the end of the five constant brightness levels. (jk, I respect the disco mode users, just not my cup of tea)

Yup. Only one 'r' in Suefire, BTW.

I think Jason can come up with something cool. I just want a UI like the Quark Pro was with the head loose, that I can select which of the 5 brightness outputs it scrolls, defaulting to lowest first. All 5 or a subset, all the way down to single mode. Should be pretty simple - just enter a programming mode with "x" half presses, say 10, and have it start to scroll through from moonlight. Do a half press to select, or wait a couple of seconds for the next one. After the last one, it is memorized for however many you half pressed on during the scroll through. Pretty dang easy to change for different uses that way.

And if you must, it could have strobe, SOS and beacon at the end of the five constant brightness levels. (jk, I respect the disco mode users, just not my cup of tea)
    Sounds like you are talking about my fully programmable Icarus driver

Something with Quark interchangeability and an Icarus driver does sound like the way to go if we can't get the head tight/loose functionality back.

Ooooh yeah, now we're getting some traction!

Flashaholic

an updated lego/quark line up :

two head (one for throw, one for close operation) small head with triple nichia and a turbo with xpl hi

bodies (cr123 or 18350 / AA(ni mh and Li ion) / 18650)

tailcaps (reverse or forward) or twisty bodies.

some bonus head (like a qt2l with xhp emiter)

In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate

I have been wishing for a Quark AA in copper for many years. Not brass, not bronze, solid copper...patina and all. Copper is my favorite!

- I love the Quarks' 0.8-4.2v ability, with bodies such that 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x14500, 1xCR123, 1x16350, 1x16650 are all possible with the same light. Would like to see 18650 support just because they're so prolific.

- I won't buy anything cooler than 5000K ever again for a personal light.

- The legacy Quark Tactical forward-clicky tailcap is my favorite switch ever. If only it could tailstand...

- Could the durability of the finish be improved?

- I want either granular programmability or three well-chosen modes: moonlight, comfortable long-running medium, and gimme-everything-you-got, in that order.

- Some way of indicating battery status would be handy.

I don't particularly care for: flashy modes you can't skip, side switches, reverse-clicky, exotic metals, aesthetic features that don't enhance utility, or fingerling lights that do 10,000 lumens for 250ms just to say they can.

Quote Originally Posted by realjoshfreeman View Post
    - I love the Quarks' 0.8-4.2v ability, with bodies such that 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x14500, 1xCR123, 1x16350, 1x16650 are all possible with the same light. Would like to see 18650 support just because they're so prolific.

- I won't buy anything cooler than 5000K ever again for a personal light.

- The legacy Quark Tactical forward-clicky tailcap is my favorite switch ever. If only it could tailstand...

- Could the durability of the finish be improved?

- I want either granular programmability or three well-chosen modes: moonlight, comfortable long-running medium, and gimme-everything-you-got, in that order.

- Some way of indicating battery status would be handy.

I don't particularly care for: flashy modes you can't skip, side switches, reverse-clicky, exotic metals, aesthetic features that don't enhance utility, or fingerling lights that do 10,000 lumens for 250ms just to say they can.
    I've been tail standing by using the tactical Quark Turbo Flat Tailcap. It works with all Quark bodies.
    The switch on the left is a Tactical forward clicky and the one on the right is a Pro reverse clicky. The Turbo Flat Tailcap uses the same long shafted tactical switch. You may be able to locate a Quark Turbo Flat Tailcap for sale from a reseller or in the CPF Mall.

Clickable Image

I'll see your Clickable Image and raise you this.

~ Chance

Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

I agree on remaking and continuing production of the Mini MKII. Various emitters (based on how they sell) and various materials. Copper, brass, titanium, Aluminum, colorful anodizing.

I like the idea of 18350 (IMR) and 14500 (IMR) versions. Maybe the turbo head with an 18350 body would look like a slightly larger version of the normal Mini MKII.

The Mini is pretty versatile and good for a backup and not a burden to carry.

I don't really understand the UI, I know that I try to change modes and it doesn't want to change, but when I twist it, the light turns on. So, maybe a more simple UI would help it out.
    "For every good deed, there is an equal an opposite bad deed."

Flashaholic*

The "E01 Killer" that never came to fruition.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

^ ^ ^ YES ! ! !

And how about in an AA version, also ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    Make quark 18650 bodies again.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnark17 View Post
    +100 on the 18650 bodies for Quarks. That would make it the perfect compact all-around platform. Anti-roll heads are an excellent idea too.
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by pomah View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    I agree. I think they built the Tactician upon the QT2L-X's characteristics also.
    I have hope to see what comes in the future .

Edit: Also the X7 does not employ the contact of the body and head to employ the brightness changes,
    but a series of contacts within the head, so maybe if the anodizing on the threads were to be removed?
    Finger Crossed
    WAIT WHAT? TONS of lights use that! Jetbeam, Sunwayman etc.... your telling me Surefire came out with the Traction, patented it and now nobody else can use that retroactively?? If that's the case I will never buy another Surefire again.... I'm with everyone else, resurrect the WHOLE Quark line, AA, CR123, 18650 bodys, Turbo AA and 123 along with the Turbo X line.

Favorite light of all time is the Quark Tactical CR123x2 NW XM-L2 or similar floody emitter
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC10, BC25, RRT-0, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti (lost RIP), Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31vn, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
    +1000

WAIT WHAT? TONS of lights use that! Jetbeam, Sunwayman etc.... your telling me Surefire came out with the Traction, patented it and now nobody else can use that retroactively?? If that's the case I will never buy another Surefire again.... I'm with everyone else, resurrect the WHOLE Quark line, AA, CR123, 18650 bodys, Turbo AA and 123 along with the Turbo X line.

Favorite light of all time is the Quark Tactical CR123x2 NW XM-L2 or similar floody emitter
    You have good taste, Mine is the Quark Tactical Low Voltage CR123 NW XML

Yes, all those manufacturers listed are using the patent technologies of Surefire, and Foursevens was one of the manufacturers targeted due to being based in the United States. The lawsuit is whats stopping the resurrection of the Legacy UI of the Quarks, not the release of the Tactician. Now that their patented technology is in production, I have a tiny bit of hope that someday Surefire will consider allowing licensing agreements. The past collaborations of the PK Knight and the Bolt flashlights keep my candle burning

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast