Out of the game a long time: What's new?

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
Lurked on this site 10 years ago. Found my way to a Fenix TK10, LD20, TK40, Jetbeam jetIIIm, Catapult V2 and bunch of smaller keychaing micro lights.
Rounding out the arsenal was lots of AW RCR123 and 18650 cells, Eneloops, Pila IBC charger and a Maha 8 cell AAA, AA, C, D charger

Fast forward 10 years and the only one that I've become disappointing with is the TK40 8 AA cell monster(for it's time on AA). Parasitic drain, low output for 8 cells. I replaced with a trunight TN4a with new powerex cells and I can't believe how much the tech has advanced (both the light and the nimh cells). My favorite light believe it or not after this time, is the TK10 due to it's perfect beam pattern, just wish it took a single cell.

Outside of higher cell capacities what am I missing out on that would blow my mind?

-Darth

archimedes

Flashaholic
What feature most interests you ?

Max output, max throw, user interface and programmability, color rendering and tint, minimal size, maximal size, exotic materials ... or what ?

Each of those, and more, could have an entire thread of new developments in the past decade :shrug:

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
Safe batter chemistry, large so can't be lost easily easy simple activation . Basically a better tk40. A family light.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Darth.
I ran a similar path of being intensely involved and then drifting away for a number of years.

I think the most basic thing that has changed is the perception on the part of both the public, and manufacturers, that it's not "just a flashlight" anymore. Standards were developed that came to be at least loosely honored if not really enforced and even the "Old Timer" companies like Ray-O-Vac have finally realized that they needed to seriously step up their game.

That being said, the stuff that is garbage is somehow even worse than the stuff we used to get. I don't know how since it seems like it would take more effort to screw something up that badly than to produce an "average" light, but there it is.

At this point nearly anything by known mid-to-upper tier brands tends to be very good to outright amazing and you just have to decide the features you want.
O-Light
Klarus
Fenix
Nitecore
Jetbeam
Sunwayman
ThorFire
Thrunight

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
Hey Darth.
I ran a similar path of being intensely involved and then drifting away for a number of years.

I think the most basic thing that has changed is the perception on the part of both the public, and manufacturers, that it's not "just a flashlight" anymore. Standards were developed that came to be at least loosely honored if not really enforced and even the "Old Timer" companies like Ray-O-Vac have finally realized that they needed to seriously step up their game.

That being said, the stuff that is garbage is somehow even worse than the stuff we used to get. I don't know how since it seems like it would take more effort to screw something up that badly than to produce an "average" light, but there it is.

At this point nearly anything by known mid-to-upper tier brands tends to be very good to outright amazing and you just have to decide the features you want.
O-Light
Klarus
Fenix
Nitecore
Jetbeam
Sunwayman
ThorFire
Thrunight

Very interesting. The best got better, and the worse got worse. Thank you for that perspective

I was dissapointment not being able to find 4 sevens (quark) anymore. Thorfire is a new brand I haven't heard of.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've reviewed several Thorfire lights and when they are good they are very good for the price point (plus some amazing things like the BLF Q8) but they do definitely have the occasional QC issue so if you purchase do it through someplace with a return policy.

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
A new trend I see is lion battery lights with built in charging via micro usb.. Getting into RC car hobby and flashlights the big warning labels have been around battery charging (in RC it's less stable multi cell lipo packs). It's why with family operated devices I always went with nimh chemistry. (I still cought them one time with alkalines in the Maha AA charger. So glad I cought quick)

However I refuse to buy anything new without a usb-c port. Might be a while I have to wait.

Last edited:

Phlogiston

Enlightened
I'll add Convoy to that list of good quality lights - they have a good reputation and my personal experience of several Convoy lights backs that up. Jaxman have a good reputation as well, but I don't have any of their lights yet.

If you buy from their AliExpress stores, you'll have the widest selection and the best customer service. The resellers only sell a subset of their ranges and the customer service can sometimes be hit and miss.

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac had some interesting 3AA lights with built in diffuser. Sounds like perfect family light except it's too small and easily lost. (small = lost in toy bin, couch creases ect.) If had an extra 3AA extension tube it would be perfect!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to suggest Acebeam L30 for overall brightness with decent throw, or the Acebeam L16 for more throw.

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
I am going to suggest Acebeam L30 for overall brightness with decent throw, or the Acebeam L16 for more throw.

I found a 6AA Eagletac with a built in diffuser and jumped on that for family. I like that Acebeam L30. Might pick that up for myself. Odd battery size but built in charging!

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Lurked on this site 10 years ago. Found my way to a Fenix TK10, LD20, TK40, Jetbeam jetIIIm, Catapult V2 and bunch of smaller keychaing micro lights.
Rounding out the arsenal was lots of AW RCR123 and 18650 cells, Eneloops, Pila IBC charger and a Maha 8 cell AAA, AA, C, D charger

-Darth

I'm right there with you. When I stopped collecting, Mr. Bulk and McGizmo were all the rage in lights. Now, neither of them are involved at all.

Who has stepped up to make these custom lights?

In the mean time, I'm ordering a Zebralight, 4Sevens Quark, and maybe a Malkoff soon. The output on these newer lights is amazing!!

nbp

Flashaholic
McGizmo is definitely still in the game. Check out his subforum here.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Finding a high CRI light is relatively easy nowadays, and if you've never had a chance to compare one to a "standard" LED flashlight side by side, it's a night and day difference.

Darth_Cholo

Newly Enlightened
Finding a high CRI light is relatively easy nowadays, and if you've never had a chance to compare one to a "standard" LED flashlight side by side, it's a night and day difference.

The last light I bought 10 years ago was a neutral white zebra headlamp and I was hooked, but I already had so many.

I purchased the trunite tn4 in neutral white and also the eagletac just now also in neutral white. It used to be so rare to have that option back in the day.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff Devices started making his own flashlights that far supersede other, better established manufacturers, the lumens ratings are stunning and the prices is not all that high given what you are getting.

Greater than 1000 lumens is common in his lights. Wildcat, Hound Dog, Hound Dog Super. 10 years ago were just getting close to the 200 lumen mark I believe. *Maybe* 300. I was into Maglites that generated 60 or so lumens, Malkoff drops in and thought *that* was high.

I wouldn't even bother with SOB (some other brands)

Secondly, battery capacity has gone way up.

Panasonic 18650 is at 3500 mAh either right here right now or just around the corner.