Flashlight Simulator/Game

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a search and couldn't find anything related to this topic, so I apologize if it has been covered.

I wonder if anyone has given thought to the idea of building what would effectively be a beamshot simulator? the idea being you run around in a virtual environment, and you're able to pick different commercially available lights and get a virtual feel for it. So i could choose a Surefire model, or a Fenix model, or what have you, the same way games currently let you choose a load out of guns.

This would also be a great way of preserving the essence/Feel of a light, especially of older, out of production lights, and also lets newcomers to the hobby "use" them. I'm thinking of lights like the Arc-LS, Novatacs, Safelights, etc.

in addition to beamshots, this game could also have real-time battery life. If you pick a light, turn it on and leave the game there for X amount of time, the light would dim accordingly.

I realise that, practically, none of this is going to be 100% accurate, but surely there is a way to input enough parameters (such as those we quote in beamshots, f-stop value, distance, etc etc) and ways enough to calibrate screens such that it would at least be a "fun", and accurate enough game to run around in?

I know I have seen people re-texture the default flashlight beam pattern in games before, so I'm sure this project wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility, especially with the vast amount of information on this forum alone.

thoughts?

:candle:

Crenshaw

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It could have been done in ~2004, but the catch is how you translate what you see on the screen into something realistically useful - what would the setting/environment be? You can create a bunch of flashlights in a Call of Duty map, but what would that mean to you if the map isn't someplace you've physically walked in? Without a physical sense of scale you could show the differences between lights, but not the practical application of those differences.

You'd need a realistic location that has a set scale most everyone is familiar with, like a football field with objects on it..

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am unable to offer any help (I could beta test? LOL), but would love to see this; my video gaming is almost exclusively of the simulation persuasion.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago, before VR was a real possibility a couple friends & I devised the concept of a VR game that would be based on a few different hotel chains. While traveling, the game(a spy/counterspy scenario) would allow you and friends to conduct operations in the hotel. We came to the conclusion an innocent looking controller would be required because if you ran around the hotel even with a toy looking gun their could be misunderstandings. It would have given you a "real" place to investigate/hide/retrieve contraband, etc. perhaps a similar scenario would work with Flashlights-a real environment, augmented by VR with your choice of lights. I think most of that love lights also love trying them out in various locations. Imagine a "Shot show" with a major VR event at one of the big Vegas hotels....I like the concept...