• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Oveready DIP P60 8 Mode Group Dropin

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen much on here about the new OR DIP P60 dropins.
Does anyone on here have one?
If so would you care to tell how you are getting on with it?
Beamshots, whilst a pain for you, would be lovely for the rest of us.
Thank you.
P

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
it would be nice to have more information on these.if not beam shots then maybe someone with the knowhow can give an estimate on the lux. while im at it, i think its well past time that OR starts providing lux numbers for an item like this thats supposed to provide more throw. im left wondering "more throw than what?". also actual measured lumens instead of their estimated LED lumens for their high output lights.

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I've asked on the other thread for measurements as well as pmed but no response yet. Also been waiting since dec for these to be back in stock

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also ordered one today. The single emitter is said to be a Nichia 219c, so thinking this will be more general purpose than dedicated thrower, but it comes with a narrow clear optic (frosted narrow, frosted wide and frosted medium optics also a primary or add-on option). It will certainly throw more than the other recent Oveready offerings.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arrived. Practical, very effective packing protection typical of Oveready. Product exudes quality. Big ole TIR optic (isn't that what they're called). I ordered the 'narrow clear'. Looks to be maybe 4000K color temperature; quite warm for my taste. Thing is, it's not the yellow or dingy kind of warm. It's frankly quite pretty. Just about perfect for our soil types (we have a lot of bare dirt in our locale) and gives our dogs a rich look for the brown and cream fur. Wish we had some snow around to see if the tint is distracting on it.

Since it has been handled only about an hour, it's best to mention these are first impressions. I took 5 other flashlights with me tonight: a Zebralight SC62d 5000K (looks more like a cloudy day than a warm subtle sunset that the DIP offers); a $15 mtnelectronics dropin with a 5000K Nichia 219c (less throw than the DIP and blanched, faint green tinge when directly compared with the DIP); an older PFlexPRO 5000K XPL HI dropin with Advanced Programming (surprisingly close in throw with the DIP, very slight green and of course much cooler color temperature when compared directly with the DIP. The newer quad XPL Hi from PFlexPRO is better with no hint of green); a Convoy C8 5000K XPL HI that has a dandy tint (of course a much cooler color temperature that affords more contrast and benefits from a larger reflector. It throws significantly more than the DIP); and finally, a mtnelectronics dedomed XPG2 dropin running 4.5Amps (it throws more than the DIP but our dog's fur has a green cast that is distracting, pretty much obvious even when using that flashlight by itself, at least initially. The eyes will accommodate but the soil here looks, crummy even after prolonged use).

Who would like this 2018, month of May release of the DIP dropin from Oveready? The tint is very desirable and is for those who consider that a priority. The throw is decent for a P60 size flashlight but other optics can be installed to give it a wider spread. Those who like TIR optics, and those who are ok with minor artifacts related to that system, will like it. Having another Oveready choice is most welcome to many enthusiasts.

I'll discuss the user interface later, and look forward to hearing from other, distinguished members about this new dropin.

Thanks again to the Oveready Team.

ven

Flashaholic
Great summary Kitro, as always a pleasure to read, heck i was there with you using it:)

Been pondering these since first release, the 219c 4k (i presume)is a nice flavour. It almost or getting close to my fondness of the 219b(little brighter of course). The option of being able to swap out the TIR for flood or throw is also a winner.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blimey, I started a real thread!
Thanks Kit, that's the most info I've read on the DIP so far.

I saw this thread in my subscriptions and went to the top to see who started it.
It was me, huh.
P

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great summary Kitro, as always a pleasure to read, heck i was there with you using it:)

Been pondering these since first release, the 219c 4k (i presume)is a nice flavour. It almost or getting close to my fondness of the 219b(little brighter of course). The option of being able to swap out the TIR for flood or throw is also a winner.

The fact that ven has so many nice P60 hosts must be mentioned.

This emitter makes so much more red than any other horse in my stall. Our brown dog is so pretty under its light! An older triple Nichia 5000K single mode 3.8Amps (bought from custom lites) P60 dropin usually looks so good with browns when used by itself. When compared with this DIP it looks a kind of pale. Same thing with the BLF-348 single mode AAA flashlight released a couple years ago.

Oveready sent this unit with 4 mode starting with lowest (guessing it is about 5 to 10 lumens, really don't know but can tell you that PFlexPRO, Emisar, and Zebralight go significantly lower). Tonight I configured for starting on highest, 4 speed. Although the reset is not real fast, when it does, you will always go to first mode, even if you were already on the first mode. So an extra click is required in that situation, to get to the next mode or beyond. There is no 'last mode memory'.

A scrolling user interface like this seems to work more efficiently for me without last mode memory. More time and more configuration testing is needed to get a feel for this.

Upon initial installation, a person like me wants to have a reasonably tight fit between dropin and host for better heat transfer, so the string method from PFlexPRO was used to include a very thin, single circumference strip of copper foil. This made for a mild panic event when going about to change the DIP switches. The module must be removed to actuate the switch and it did not want to come out! After some thought and a couple failed attempts, full size forceps did the trick. Definitely did not want to ding up the module or the Oveready host. Hoping no one else jams that up.

More confirmation tonight that the throw is fairly close visually with a smooth reflector P60 dropin sporting an XPL HI 5000K, with a larger hotspot and brighter spill. Someone accurately measuring with an instrument would no doubt have numbers implying a bigger difference but visually it's not that much.

Used a (2 1/4 inch reflector) Eagtac XPL Hi thrower sold as 'NW' or 'neutral' tonight as well. It looks kind of lousy yellow compared to this baby...

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Peter,

I would say a lot more than 450 lumens. It does get hot after a while. Not only is the hotspot fairly large for this amount of throw, the spill is significant. If your host's bezel ring has notches for a tool to extract and install, you may get peripheral reflections from them. I have a Cryos Illumination smooth stainless steel bezel ring on one of their large Z32(?) heads that had no 'facets' of light around the edge of the beam, whereas even a black delrin bezel ring with notches (from Oveready) had faint reflections.

Maybe after a few minutes it settles down to 450 lumens. Other CPF members versed in Nichia 219c capability can be more precise. The information regarding emitter performance is out there.

It needs to be mentioned again that you are getting rich reds with (close to) 5000K XPL HI performance in a P60 host. It would be interesting to compare a smooth reflectored 4000K V2 5D XPL HI with this Nichia TIR in real life. And once again, this is by eye, not by numbers from a testing device. Going out on a limb here again, but this dropin would be effective in terrain up to 100 meters+, if we are talking about seeing many objects/animals/people. 50 meters gives good detail to enjoy seeing what is out there. This covers a lot of how many people use flashlights. Thinking this is not talk from wearing 'new flashlight beer-goggles'.

So far haven't seen any visible step down in output, but have not really pushed it. Seems like Oveready would mention if there was such a thermal or time control. They do state the DIP has a voltage cutoff after becoming dim.

This is still early in the game as far as evaluation. It is a lot of fun. And the DIP is still available as of today.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice sunrise this morning. Endeavored to video record the DIP compared with a Matchbook Instruments HF and MBI Turbohead, both with warm Nichia emitters. Ended up with rambling 4 minute plus raw footage. Was trying to keep my voice low to not wake up others, the birds were loud, didn't say much of note anyways, other than the video was not representing what I saw that well with the red soil.

Here's about 13 seconds scanning around with the DIP, with a tree trunk shot at the end showing the tint compared with ambient light.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2KPZgIE6HwEsQUQO2

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, the brewmaster said he liked the 13 second video, so, here's 55 seconds of the beginning of dawn test comparison. This is not for everyone, kind of boring for most. Shining the flashlight so close to the red soil is not helpful, but you can see the relative brightness of the 4 modes on the DIP. One can see the nature of the User interface and see that high mode is close in brightness to the next mode down. This indicates to me that high mode uses a lot of energy and will sag, but the next mode is plenty bright and can be sustained longer. This is admirable on Oveready's part (one opinion)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WhCrQb8jgTvKfA9X7

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, the brewmaster said he liked the 13 second video, so, here's 55 seconds of the beginning of dawn test comparison. This is not for everyone, kind of boring for most. Shining the flashlight so close to the red soil is not helpful, but you can see the relative brightness of the 4 modes on the DIP. One can see the nature of the User interface and see that high mode is close in brightness to the next mode down. This indicates to me that high mode uses a lot of energy and will sag, but the next mode is plenty bright and can be sustained longer. This is admirable on Oveready's part (one opinion)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WhCrQb8jgTvKfA9X7

^^ 👍👍👍

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice vid Kit. The earth really is red, amazing.
I like the idea of the medium being almost as bright as high but more efficient. That's something that HDS And the Wasp teach you when you can drop down a step from high and gain so much in runtime.
I shall have to get one before they sell out. Then I'll have to get another P60 host.
Oh, the trials of being a flashlight nut.
P

Latest posts