Favorite 18650 powered EDC light?

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the world of 18650. I've been happy with my AA powered lights for quite some time after using CR123 lights for years. The output of the 18650 is hard to ignore though.

So what have you been happy carrying? For me, size and weight are very important criteria. So what do you favor, why, and what do you normally use your light for?

Glock27

Enlightened
Zebralight SC64w. I pre-ordered the SC60w and have been carrying an SC6Xw everyday since the first one was delivered. I do HVAC Maintenance for a school district. I deploy and re-pocket sometimes 20+ times a day checking pump rotation, valve position, gauge pressure & temps, etc. I feel this is the perfect light for edc.

G27

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore P30. I normally EDC the Nitecore EA11 due to its compact size, but when I think I might need more throw or overall light I will hang my P30 on my belt The tight beam will reach out and light up what I want, and at the lower modes the beam blends into the spill and just lights up the whole area around me. And with the clicky tailcap I don't have to worry about parasitic drain at all.

anthon87

Newly Enlightened
Currently I've been EDC'ing a Eagletac T25L-R, a compact tactical flashlight with only three modes and USB-C Charging. It's so simple that it's a joy to use as a daily driver

However my best 18650 EDC is the SC600w HI mkIV, it's not the brightest (1050lm measured in turbo) but the spill and tint are perfect, you have a very large spill with a reasonably sized hotspot that will give you throw when using it outside, and not disturb you when using the light inside homre at low modes.

ven

Flashaholic
I have many i enjoy.....................18650 rocks! If being compact is an important factor, Zebralight are well worth a look.

All 18650 fed to show size(or lack of!)
L80WHYwl.jpg

I have a few 18650 in work, however my 16650 fed surefires have caught up. 2500mah and good for 5a, i can feed a standard body 6p or z2 on 16650 fuel.
TM8U7cal.jpg

DeRKgirl.jpg

Fun and cheap, the emisar D1 and D4 are nice lights which are 18650 fed(or 18500/18350 with smaller bodies)
B3MbxWMl.jpg

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC64w. If size and weight are most important, this is the one for you. Those are my top criteria as well.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rarely ever carry anything larger than 18350. I mean I use 18650 sized lights all the time, I just don't carry them to work in my pocket.

If size and weight are important to you, you might check out some of the smaller triples and quads that produce 2,000+ lumens.

Also, if you enjoy great throw, you might like the Emisar D1s, which runs on an 18650. It's amazing and very light weight. It's a bit too large for (pants) pocket carry but excellent for jacket or even some shirt pockets.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Dont have the sc64w, but the sc63w which is pretty much the same other than a few lumens and not having the latest UI. Love the nice 4500k flood bias beam from the xhp35...............very nice and easy on the eye.

Still enjoy the oldies, my overall fav is the 320lm luxeon T sc62d
TEPgOHwl.jpg

Tad taller than the sc63/64 but still super compact. Next to the 16340 fed novatac
7SYNfnil.jpg

If you want compact and bright, zebralight is where its at!

ven

Flashaholic
^^Mark I'd like to try a Zebralight if someone could explain the U.I. lol

Haha. It's a lot easier in hand than it is to read up on. Light is off, single click for H1, when on H1 you can double tap for H2 and visa versa (so think two levels to swap with on each of the H M and L levels)6 levels total for each group G5/G6/G7

. M1 /M2 is 2 clicks from off. For low L1 and L2 it's press/hold from off for a second or so. If you keep hold after pressing , it goes low med high etc etc . Now the new UI allows you to change any of the levels to the 12 of the light. G5 is one set(2nd of each so L2 /M2 and H2 can be programmed),G6 and G7 which are the other groups,can be fully programmed to what you want at any level. So for example , you can have H1/H2 M1/M2 L1/L2 all at same level for what would be like a single mode. You can have H1 as a moon level, M2 as max level. Just examples off the top of my head. It really is a decent UI that reads far more complicated than is in use.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha. It's a lot easier in hand than it is to read up on. Light is off, single click for H1, when on H1 you can double tap for H2 and visa versa (so think two levels to swap with on each of the H M and L levels)6 levels total for each group G5/G6/G7

. M1 /M2 is 2 clicks from off. For low L1 and L2 it's press/hold from off for a second or so. If you keep hold after pressing , it goes low med high etc etc . Now the new UI allows you to change any of the levels to the 12 of the light. G5 is one set(2nd of each so L2 /M2 and H2 can be programmed),G6 and G7 which are the other groups,can be fully programmed to what you want at any level. So for example , you can have H1/H2 M1/M2 L1/L2 all at same level for what would be like a single mode. You can have H1 as a moon level, M2 as max level. Just examples off the top of my head. It really is a decent UI that reads far more complicated than is in use.

Now I'm REALLY confused. LOLOL

I'll just buy one and see if I can figure it out... all I want is L, M, H. If I have trouble I know who to contact. ;)

ven

Flashaholic

I'll just buy one and see if I can figure it out... all I want is L, M, H. If I have trouble I know who to contact. ;)

:laughing:

:nana:

Yes , best way is just try out. You will be fine, it's easier than most tbh. Even if I make it sound not so :eek:

You will like the real nice and tough ano, the actual size and weight (lack of). As your a bit of a throw junkie, your probably best with the xhp35 HI in 4500 flavour. It's still no dedicated thrower, but more you than the other options(which are quite flood bias).

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha there's a bunch on the page but that's exactly the one I'm looking at... SC600w Mk IV HI 18650 XHP35 Neutral White High Intensity Flashlight!

EDIT: out of stock :(

ven

Flashaholic
You could order or pre order from ZL themselves (is it Texas they ship from....not sure). Or just check reputable sellers. Don't rule out the mkIII, should be able to get for a little less as well.

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Lots of great suggestion guys! The amount of options is incredible.

I ordered a SC600w Plus. These lights look like they might be small enough to carry, time will tell.

Thanks for all the advice and feel free to keep adding.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
On my days off, I use a Dual Output Surefire Peacekeeper. I usually drop it in the right leg thigh pocket on my carpenter style pants. But I use a more slender Eagletac DX30LC2 for work EDC since it fits nicely in my work pants' pen pocket.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Definitely sounds more complicated than it is. I love the new UI. Now HDS confuses me to a point I will never try. But back to our 18650 lights. :)