Has anyone had a flashlight "clicky" switch fail?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
And, if the "clicky" switch fails in a small flashlight with a "pressed" in installed switch (as contrasted with screwed in installation), do you have a brick?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: How long do flashlight "clicky" switches last?

Yes, of course, mechanical switches can and do fail ... usually unpredictably.

Much more reliable than "clicky" switches, are "twisty" switches, but nothing is fail-proof.

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, of course, mechanical switches can and do fail ... usually unpredictably.

Much more reliable than "clicky" switches, are "twisty" switches, but nothing is fail-proof.

Yes, I figured that but was wondering if anyone actually experienced it. I have not had a failure in 8 years of daily use of one clicky switch flashlight.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Yes, I figured that but was wondering if anyone actually experienced it. I have not in 8 years of daily use with one flashlight in particular.

Yes, perhaps a half-dozen to a dozen switches, in total.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had two clicky switches fail. If you're unable to replace it yourself, the manufacturer might cover it under warranty, or at least sell you a new switch.

mikec49

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a fenix ld20 for 10 years without fail. I just received thrunite tn12 and it failed day 1. It also shipped without the pouch from their amazon store. Really makes me wonder about all these new lights from china.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had lots of issues with eletronic clicky lights like failing UIs, lock-ups, excess parasitic drain, and accidental activation, but not yet a total clicky failure from either electronic or mechanical.

... do you have a brick?

With electronic clickies, yes a clicky failure usually = brick, but with mechanical clickies, you almost always can bypass them with piece of tinfoil and have a working light.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Eagletac D25A clicky was messed up from day 1, it had intermittent issues not lighting up at first, then after a while it'd get stuck pushed in.

Eagletac wanted 5 dollars for a replacement, the place I purchased it from (Illumination Gear) sent me one for free.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have worn out three clicky switches. None I considered worth replacing because advances in emitters and user interface preclude that. I recently brought a fresh McClicky to premature failure experimenting with an XPL Hi quad dropin from PFlexPRO. A week before, I watched Randy in his shop, measure sustained 14.2A with his test equipment in one of my hosts, but this was with a very thick copper bypass between negative of battery and flashlight body-end. He used a clamp meter and had to let go of the bypass after about 8 seconds because of intense heat.

It it is worth noting that PFlexPRO now offers an enhanced switch upgrade for a nominal fee that should extend the life of mechanical switches, as well as other benefits as explained on Randy's website. I watched him take apart my high amp switch and lightly abrade/smooth certain contact areas as well as apply Krytox to areas of friction and a copper particle infused grease to electrical contacts. He told me he has performed mechanical wear tests on his enhanced switches and considers it well worth it.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in 2012, I bought a Spark SL5 210CW with the XPG LED. From the start, one of its 2 identical switches felt weaker than the other when I clicked it, so I returned it to Goinggear for a new one. He immediately sent me a new one, except this was the XML U2 version of the same exact light, called the Spark SL5 220CW. It's 2 switches seemed fine.

I packed it away in its box, because I had chosen to carry a Zebralight SC52 Mk1, which I had pre-ordered before its initial release. I used the SC52 daily for just over 2 years, when, after dropping it at least 4 times prior, I finally lost it for good.

So I chose to switch to the Spark SL5 220CW as my EDC light, mainly because unlike the Zebralight, the Spark came with a nice holster. I even did a positive review on it here. Then, just 3 months after I began carrying it, it's front switch broke. For safety reasons, I immediately stopped carrying it, because it's 2 switches do the same thing, and I worried that, with 1 broken switch, it could cause problems.

So then I bought a holster for my Zebralight SC600 Mk1 and carried it for well over a year. Now I am carrying a new Jetbeam Jet II MK that I just received last week, which is MUCH smaller and lighter than the SC600. Now I don't have to tighten my belt as much to keep my pants from sagging!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 30-year old 3D Maglite with clicky switch that is still going strong. Of course it hasn't seen the hard daily use of an everyday carry light, but it lights up whenever I push the button, and that's really all that matters.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but only on budget lights.

Not yet, on non-budget brands. Just plain old wanting to have the light turn on is why I embraced the world of quality lights when I discovered it.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
I have an E2L-A that began to misbehave a few weeks ago. I did the "paper clip test" and found out there is some problem with the switch. After several attempts I removed the little battery spring which looked a bit off centered. After reinstalling it, the switch action feels more solid and the flashlight works well again.

My "household" light, a Fenix LD22, meets dust, water, grime, even oil sometimes, but goes strong.

ven

Flashaholic
Had a few over years, mostly cheaper types like solarforce. More of a latch issue through wear, not always latching on if makes sense. I have some higher asking engines than some McClicky switches are rated, never had one fail yet and have quite a few in action. Maybe being reverse clicky helps out there..............maybe because i am not always asking 100% as well.

Tesla

Enlightened
I have one cheapie flashlight that has an "iffy" switch. I did have a switch fail on my 1993 Fender Champ 12 amp about 7 years ago. I bought another switch. It is still waiting on me to install it...go figure. I fell in love with my Egnater right after I got the new switch...

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clicky tail switch on my cheap Snap-On 2xAAA penlight became flaky after a few months of use.

snap-on-led1.jpg

snap-on-led4.jpg