Wuben        
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: XeVision ULTRA 80-85W Super head mod - SIGN UP NOW

Default Re: XeVision ULTRA 80-85W Super head mod - SIGN UP NOW

We are considering to number (engrave or laser) the limited edition units 1 to 10/10 with the numbers to follow the current list of tentative strong interest. if a 2nd batch of 10 is made they would be numbered 11 to 20/20. This is in addition to the S/N's already on the units.
    We are also thinking to engrave or Laser the words XeVision ULTRA into the bezels as well.
    In theory at least, this should make them more collectable and valuable to some people.

Great idea!

I was hoping there might be some discernable indication of the upgrading and, the enhanced performance. Not sure if the bezel or the body of the light would be "better" or more appropriate. I'm thinking should someone own more than one head for this light (hint, hint!) and having the capability to interchange those heads, it would demonstrate to the owner/user that the light in hand was the enhanced, irrespective of the head being used. "Food for thought" and discussion I guess....

My "BarnBurner" does not have that engraving nor laser identification on the light and thus, other than noting the Fat Boy lamp, the casual observer might not realize the modding inherent in the light.

Dan, whatever works and is best from your end is fine by me. The sequential numbering certainly a plus in any final decision, where and what else indicated will be right. The fact is, we re all rather pleased that this project appears to moving and, moving n the right direction.

Thanks for the work involved and, keeping us informed!

Karl

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View Post
    We are considering to number (engrave or laser) the limited edition units 1 to 10/10 with the numbers to follow the current list of tentative strong interest. if a 2nd batch of 10 is made they would be numbered 11 to 20/20. This is in addition to the S/N's already on the units.
    We are also thinking to engrave or Laser the words XeVision ULTRA into the bezels as well.
    In theory at least, this should make them more collectable and valuable to some people.
    So long as this would include some indication of upgrade vs new/complete (e.g. a star or some such symbol), fine by me.
    As a collector of sports cars, I can say that models that came from the factory high-spec'd are more "valued" than those sent back to the factory to be "upgraded" to high-spec. Otherwise, an option to opt out of the numbering might be a worthwhile idea.

R

Dan: XeVision ULTRA has a great ring to it. On the bezel would be great or on the body of the light under the control ring...180 degrees opposite the "Low Hi" label...lots of space there....
    Just thinking out loud.

Rasher, are you buying one?

The "upgraded" will be the same body, reflector, battery (retained by the owner) as one from the factory "new"....no difference whatsoever---unlike your sports car comparison. I believe your suggestion clearly a good one for sports cars but, I do believe we are comparing a "horse of a different color". In this case we are talking about replacement of the aspects of the light which will enhance the performance but ONLY those "parts"--ballast and lamp--"bulb". A sports car, as I'm sure you must be well aware, could have an engine modification, upgraded suspension, electronic modernization...the list is endless but all performed by any number of individuals. I certainly can see where your suggestion originated. I'd prefer, as one who will be having the mods completed, to keep it simple as possible. I'm in this hobby as a hobby and don't see sale in my future.

By the way, forgive my manners! Welcome aboard! Great very first post! Glad to have brand new members!

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 09-13-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karlthev View Post
    By the way, forgive my manners! Welcome aboard! Great very first post! Glad to have brand new members!Karl
    He was added to the list yesterday, a complete new package.

Enlightened

Sorry I've been out of the loop lately, (been back east taking care of elderly parents) but looks like things are definitely moving forward with amazing project. I have a question for Dan. Earlier in the thread you had concerns about if the LX50 would be upgradable to this upgrade and said some testing would need to be done. Just checking to see if its a option for the Mighty LX50?.

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View Post
    He was added to the list yesterday, a complete new package.
    That explains it Dan! I just wondered.... I believe we may know "Rasher".... sounds vaguely familiar...Hmmmm.... Bicycles in the desert comes to mind somehow...

Karl

Flashaholic

Not sure what the unnecessarily bolded "buying" is supposed to mean. Are you a clerk at Boulmiche or something?
    To answer your question, yes, else I'd not have asked to be put on the list. I'd planned on multiple new units, though it appears it may be questionable whether any new units will be produced.

....no difference whatsoever...
    If we posit "collectability", there's a world of difference between a new, untouched, as delivered from the factory unit and a unit that was upgraded from a used one bought from Joe who bought it from Frank who bought it new. Same sentiment in rare cars, rare watches, rare cameras, etc.

Frankly, I'd rather they not number them: a serial number already present suffices. Not to mention certain numbers diminish "collectability" in certain world markets.

Better yet, put numbers up for bid, and donate proceeds beyond retail cost to a good cause. That way, someone who wants a certain number can pay the extra shekels it's worth to them and charity happens, a win-win.

Thanks for the welcome.

R

Somehow I envision the "modified" LEMAXes as being the ORIGINALS---from which the rest follow...equal in all respects yet...followers.... Hey, JUST like in a bicycle race!! There are those who LEAD,,,,and those who follow....

Karl

"Pack up all my cares and woes, Feeling low here I go, Dubai, dubai, blackbird!"

Reminds me of a "Shape Shifter"........

Only The Shadow knows......

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 09-13-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chartmarker View Post
    Sorry I've been out of the loop lately, (been back east taking care of elderly parents) but looks like things are definitely moving forward with amazing project. I have a question for Dan. Earlier in the thread you had concerns about if the LX50 would be upgradable to this upgrade and said some testing would need to be done. Just checking to see if its a option for the Mighty LX50?.
    Bottom line if you limit the use (time) at the high output setting so that the heatsink fins don't get so hot you can't hold onto them you are fine.
    You could also buy the larger 70 std. head, with no restrictions.

All "ribbing" aside, I'm thrilled to be able to get one of these fine "flashlights"! It's all pretty amazing to me how far the technology has come so rapidly....Lordy, "flashlights"!! That's akin to calling some of the current "weapons of mass destruction", CUTLERY for goodness sake! Anyway, I'm still me, tongue-in-cheek comments and all.

"Skunked" so to speak by the wet conditions in this past weekend's camping trip, the "shootout" sledhead and I had envisioned was pretty much limited to a bit of tree bark scorching with our "big gun" lights. We're both (somewhat) patiently waiting for the first photon blast from these "modded" or, "brand new" LEMAXes. No matter which, it will be a "Photon Blast"!!

Welcome aboard everybody, the train will be leaving soon. Be sure to get on board and ON THE LIST!!!

Karl

"Not sure what the unnecessarily bolded "buying" is supposed to mean. Are you a clerk at Boulmiche or something?"

---"Rasher"

Yup, come on down and see me!!

Karl

Johnny Cash I believe...."Ghost Riders.....or was it WRITERS (?) in the Sky"......

Karl

Flashaholic

That explains it Dan! I just wondered.... I believe we may know "Rasher".... sounds vaguely familiar...Hmmmm.... Bicycles in the desert comes to mind somehow...

Karl
    Would you mind clarifying the meaning of this? I'm giving the benefit of doubt that this and subsequent posts by you are not some adderall fueled logorrhea and are instead some inside joke or fora lore.

I assume Dan is the same person I communicated with directly for the first time time recently (else an interesting name coincidence), and he made the suggestion a week or so ago that I join here to get on a list/keep abreast of status. I'm quite sure he'd not heard of me before then, and just as sure we do not know each other.

I realise nuance can get buried in the textual context, so perhaps I'm reading something into nothing, if so mea culpa.

In any case, seems a bit off topic for the thread, I suppose if you want to continue this interaction PM might serve better (I think I require more posts before I can PM).

R

Enlightened

It's "Ghost Rider in the sky" written by a song writer named Stan Jones from Douglas Arizona back in 1948. The LEO's in the desert call me the flashlight guy, maybe I'll have them start calling me Light rider.

Thanks but the word "WRITER" best describes a background author evident here and thus, my editorial leeway with the song title.

Karl

Flashaholic

I should just call Dan to find out the answer to my question but I will post it here as others may have the same question. Will Xevision be carrying any of the accessories that Lemax has for the light, like the cigarette adapter to charge or the cigarette adapter to run without the battery? I am somewhat interested in a superpower head as well but it is not as functional as the current head on the 70 watt. For my purpose of using as an actual search and rescue light the combination spot/spill of the current 70 watt version is the best of both worlds for quick acquisition and recognition of objects at long distance. It seems the human eye/brain works better with a larger picture to try to figure out references from. A tight narrow pattern of a maxabeam my be bright but you can make out what you are looking at without binoculars.

Flashaholic

As far as I am concerned Dan can engrave anything he wants to on it as long as it comes back with 85 watts and a fatboy in it

Quote Originally Posted by toolboy View Post
    As far as I am concerned Dan can engrave anything he wants to on it as long as it comes back with 85 watts and a fatboy in it
    I agree with you on this and your previous post toolboy! The engraving/laser marking was identified by Dan for clear and simple reasons. Stars, LEMAX "birthday", sequence....whatever silly ideas might be voiced are just that and absolutely nothing more. It is the light, performing at new higher levels in which we are concerned. If there is a need for emulating purchase ability, admiring a brand new sparkling "toy", possibly precious metals may be applied and, spotlights may be installed for illuminating the LIGHT--in it's likely case in the entertainment areas of the home, which should be considered.

Karl

"...adderall fueled logorrhea and are instead some inside joke or fora lore."

I believe FIORA was what you were after now...wasn't it? spell Thesaurus now...."T"..."H".... You got it!!

Only The Shadow knows....

Karl
    Last edited by karlthev; 09-14-2018 at 04:27 AM.

If I may have confused a "new" member with another whose posts have been noticeably absent recently, mea culpa as well! The persona so similar my confusion (if that is what it is) understandable. As well, the apparent background knowledge and sophistication in the very first post as well as the subject matter---an expensive, "cutting edge" performance light, commendable....yet giving one pause. I must be thinking of an evil twin! Nonetheless I must say concern with future resale and accumulation of wealth not why I've been here. I't's about the lights!! Now, let's "play" nice!

Dan, so glad interest is picking up in the secondary market!

Karl

Hey, the evil twin "lurks" now as I speak! Hi!

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by toolboy View Post
    I should just call Dan to find out the answer to my question but I will post it here as others may have the same question. Will Xevision be carrying any of the accessories that Lemax has for the light, like the cigarette adapter to charge or the cigarette adapter to run without the battery? I am somewhat interested in a superpower head as well but it is not as functional as the current head on the 70 watt. For my purpose of using as an actual search and rescue light the combination spot/spill of the current 70 watt version is the best of both worlds for quick acquisition and recognition of objects at long distance. It seems the human eye/brain works better with a larger picture to try to figure out references from. A tight narrow pattern of a maxabeam my be bright but you can make out what you are looking at without binoculars.
    Those accessory items are rarely requested, we can provide any of those options, just include them with the upgrade purchase. We will establish pricing for those when everything is being finalized for pricing and payment.

I have one other thought on the " Markings" . One knife company (BUSSE) did a run of Limited Edition blades ( MOABM ) and only made 27. All the blades were marked " 1 of 27 " Seemed to appease everyone. I'm still looking for one!

That's all I got.....

As I may have said, the import is the light and performance. I've some shelf queens in my collection, some rarely used, one or two, EDCs. This one I use when I can. All's well.

Karl

Its looking very likely that ONLY this 1st run of 10 will occur, barring a big surprise in late activity.
    There are only 4 slots remaining now.
    We are reserving the 10th unit for warranty replacement kept on our shelf.
    Once a year or 2 passes we will likely use that unit for our own internal purposes.
    With this in mind its possible only 9 units will ever be in worldwide circulation.

Single digit total out in the wild? That's pretty limited! Exclusive indeed...
    Wildflower seeds on the sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home...

Did we ever say what the whole unit, complete, will cost? That is to say with battery and charger...
    aehaas
    The most valuable machine guns in the world. Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast