Acebeam        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: XeVision ULTRA 80-85W Super head mod - SIGN UP NOW

Default Re: XeVision ULTRA 80-85W Super head mod - SIGN UP NOW

I think if you go onto the XeVision website and check out the prices and then, add on the upgrading option you'll be very close. Was the mod in the $450-600 range....?

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by AEHaas View Post
    Did we ever say what the whole unit, complete, will cost? That is to say with battery and charger...
    aehaas
    Post number 76 in this thread covers that.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post5240009

Sorry 'bout that! Short term memory shot!

Karl

Hello Dan,

I would like to claim a spot for an upgrade please.

Thank you!

Only 2 slots available now.
    Last edited by XeRay; 10-02-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View Post
    Only 2 slots available now.
    Only 1 slot available now.
    Last edited by XeRay; 10-02-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Enlightened

I was hoping the add my name to the upgrade list, but I've had too many expenses this year I'm going back East for elderly parents so I'll just have to meet up with someone after they get theirs and check it out. Or maybe I can upgrade my LX50 with someone's spare parts after they get their upgrade.

we can add a couple of names on a waiting list, encase someone wants to drop out.
    Note: we should be able to get all 9 into the hands of owners before Christmas !!

One person now on the waiting list, encase someone drops out. dariman3

No longer on the waiting list, now #10 on the active list.
    Last edited by XeRay; 11-02-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Flashaholic

Happy Christmas to me, happy Christmas to me!! Can't wait till we send them in for the mod.

:

Karl

We should have the pricing finalized in mid November and buyers sending their units in for conversion just before thanksgiving, out by early December.
    The ballasts will be done mid November.
    The ballasts will in fact be 40/85 watts as was hoped possible for both settings, long battery run time (with substantial output at 40 watts) on the low setting, and the very high (Ultra Power) output at the high setting.
    Last edited by XeRay; 10-30-2018 at 10:41 AM.

It has been well worth the wait! Thanks!

Karl

Flashaholic

I still think I want to get a superpower head and 12v cigarette lighter power cord to complete this historic light. Please include these in the pricing options Dan. Its my gift to myself, and people it just might help rescue.
    Last edited by toolboy; 10-30-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Dairyman3 is now on the active list, not the waiting list

Toolboy Ok, will finalize all when I am ready to finalize orders, in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by XeRay; 10-30-2018 at 08:11 PM.

The 40/85w ULTRA ballasts are finished and ready for final testing.
    By Nov. 16 we should have the pricing finalized and ready to start receiving in the units to be modified.
    Most can go out from here right after the "Turkey days" holiday.
    Last edited by XeRay; 11-09-2018 at 12:34 PM.

We are ready to receive in the units for modification: please contact us by phone: 801-622-7000 to arrange the details. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm MST (mountain standard time) ask for Dan.
    Our address is: XeVision 4245 Airport Road Ogden, Utah 84405
    For out of country individuals ( i believe only 1 ) please communicate via email or telephone: dblumel@xevision.com

Through some extensive testing (we never offered ballast production above 75 watts prior to this) we have discovered some rather surprising results regarding the possible bulbs to use at 85 watts.
    The legacy "Barnburners" from the past (about 10-12 years ago) were modified (not by us) with our awareness by a very few members up from 75 watts to 85 watts and were using the "fatboy" bulbs.
    We however had no actual hands on experience with this earlier modification done by a few of our "far away friends".
    We now have found that pushing them (Fatboy bulbs) past 75 watts to 85 watts the color becomes very yellowish once fully warmed up and hot re-strike becomes somewhat inconsistent.
    These issues must be due to the internal bulb MH salts chemistry of only the Fatboy bulbs, when in this very high level plasma state.
    This being the case we have decided, instead of the Fatboy bulb to INCLUDE 2 bulbs (1 spare) GE made (Vogt branded) with each and every upgrade.
    We expect the life of this GE bulb to be about half of the Fatboy, and another reason we are including 2 bulbs.
    The output color is much more desirable using this bulb and no re-strike issues experienced.
    This has always been our preferred Standard D2S bulb (for 35 and 50 watt applications) for performance (output) and longevity, over either a Philips or Osram branded D2S bulb.
    We regret also that using the Philips DL50/740 instead, is uneconomical when you can have 3 GE/Vogt D2S for the same cost, and the useful life of the DL50/740 is only double but the cost is about triple.
    We were really hoping to use the Philips DL50 (Fatboy) but alas that's not to be, even though we have a lot of them in inventory.

The conversion price has been established at $550.00
    options and completes can be finalized during first contact with us.
    We do plan to "engrave" "ULTRA" in the mid-body section of each light and a 1/10 - 10/10 (depending on your list position), as well since these are the ONLY units to be made.
    Last edited by XeRay; 11-12-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Ah yes, great news! Well done sir! Thanks!

Karl

The Fatboy at 85 watts was in the 3000 to 3500K color temp. range, comparatively very yellow. While the GE bulb is in the 4000 to 4500K range at 85 watts, comparatively very white.

Flashaholic

With these various compromises, what now are the (final?) specifications re: otf lumens, candela, expected bulb useful life?

Can the two of us that stepped up for brand-new reasonably expect delivery before Christmas this year?

Best,
    R

Yes, the first one already finalized. They will all 10 leave here within about 2 weeks or end of November. The only possible slight delay will be the Laser markings on the bodies. ULTRA 85 X/10
    Lasering will be done on all 10 the same day or 2 batches of 5. Yours and most others should leave here by the end of November, barring any Laser delay which should be at most another week.
    Your unit is here ready for final ballast body assembly. Yours would be one of the first ones out (group of 5) since we have not received any bodies yet for modification from others.
    4 bodies will be here and ready this Friday for Lasering, that could be done as early as next week (Thanksgiving week), but somewhat more likely the following week.
    You are currently number 2 in the queue and ULTRA 85 5/10.
    Expected useful bulb life depends on how much you use 40 watts vs 85 watts.
    If you mostly used 40 watts, bulb life is about 1500 hours. Mostly 85 watt usage would be about 10% of that or 150 to 200 hours.
    The Lumens output when the 3 different bulbs are new is almost identical.
    Lumens at the bulb for all of these 3 bulb possibilities will be the approximately same in the 9,000 to 10,500 range.
    Even Identical bulbs will vary by about + 8% so we can use 9800 bulb lumens as the median number.
    There is more variation between identical bulbs than the median variation between these 3 different bulbs.
    Expected life of the 2 bulbs included should approximate the life of one Fatboy.
    Last edited by XeRay; 11-13-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Flashaholic

Thank you for the rapid and detailed answers!
    Please advise on price and where to send payment (reply or my e-mail contact you have).
    Also, please recall I do not wish to have a number engraved - I presume this can still be accommodated?

Best,
    R

Yes, this can be accommodated, That will speed up your purchase quite a bit, assuming you don't want ULTRA 85 engraved as well in the mid section of the light.
    It could even happen this week, to ship out or for sure by early next week.
    For the rest, please call during our business hours. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm MST (Utah).
    To finalize all the details etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
    Thank you for the rapid and detailed answers!
    Please advise on price and where to send payment (reply or my e-mail contact you have).
    Also, please recall I do not wish to have a number engraved - I presume this can still be accommodated?

Best,
    R
    Patience grasshopper, patience....

Karl

Rasher...."If you're on my dipshit list (you've exhibited anserine behaviour here), I don't see your posts, so don't expect a reply.
    Current members: karlthev, bulbmogul."

Ah likewise Grasshopper!!

As oft said in Texas, "Big hat, no cattle".

Karl

We are ready to receive in the units for modification and the others: please contact us by phone: 801-622-7000 to arrange the details. 8:30 am to 5:00 pm MST (mountain standard time) ask for Dan.
    Our address is: XeVision 4245 Airport Road Ogden, Utah 84405
    For out of country individuals ( i believe only 1 ) please communicate via telephone or this email: dblumelatXeVisiondotcom
    Last edited by XeRay; 11-15-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Bulb health? This may be a question best answered by Dan who would have more experience. But what are your routine and thoughts?

Eg: Fluorescent lamps lose around 3 hours of life every time you turn them on. Over the life of these bulbs the glass darkens and the lumen output decreases.

HID bulbs are said to darken over time with each fire up. True? Would it be better to start them at low then switch to high for longevity and lumen retension? Or should we start from high and then switch to low? Is switching between intensities the same as turning the lamp on and off again? Will turning them on and off over and over darken them and cause loss of service life?

When I have used my HID lights I have always run them for at least a few minutes before turning them off thinking this was better then just extinguishing them after just 30-60 seconds.

Also, Dan, what is the shipping ETA for our lights at this time?

Thanks in advance.

AEHaas
    The most valuable machine guns in the world. Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Quote Originally Posted by AEHaas View Post
    Bulb health? This may be a question best answered by Dan who would have more experience. But what are your routine and thoughts?
    Eg: Fluorescent lamps lose around 3 hours of life every time you turn them on. Over the life of these bulbs the glass darkens and the lumen output decreases.
    HID bulbs are said to darken over time with each fire up. True? Would it be better to start them at low then switch to high for longevity and lumen retension? Or should we start from high and then switch to low? Is switching between intensities the same as turning the lamp on and off again? Will turning them on and off over and over darken them and cause loss of service life?

When I have used my HID lights I have always run them for at least a few minutes before turning them off thinking this was better then just extinguishing them after just 30-60 seconds.
    Also, Dan, what is the shipping ETA for our lights at this time?
    Thanks in advance. AEHaas
    It is best to start on low (1 - 2 minutes) then very quickly switch to high. If done very quickly the hot restrike HV is not needed. If not quickly switched then there is no preference.
    These bulbs do NOT darken with age (Use) except sometimes when they reach end of life (can't maintain ignition), they only temporarily darken if they never complete the start up cycle, maybe less than 20 seconds on.
    If that happens the next normal usage will resolve the temporary darkening. If switched back and forth between high and low very quickly, its not the same as on/off cycles.
    1 to 2 minutes on is preferred but not required by any means.
    We are projecting to get engraving done late this week or early next. We expect to ship out all lights next week. All of the lights have been upgraded, all that's left is laser engraving.

Great news!!! Thanks Dan. Let us know when to set up the tents to wait for delivery.

Karl

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast