What Kind of Lumen out put for a V3U 5 watter?

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
DD or maybe a change to Regulated

I was thinking either with 3 123's ,6 AA's or even in a 6Cell D-light... which would be brighter?

I think the 123's will have a bit lower resistance so it might out shine for a bit.

any chance of hitting 175+ lumens? it's rated between ~110-150 lumens. will safley over driving it (1-1.2 amps) can it hit what I want?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SKYWLKR said:
DD or maybe a change to Regulated

any chance of hitting 175+ lumens?

[/ QUOTE ]The minimum cooling requirements to do this with a V bin would be to have the heatsink embedded in dry ice or equivalent cooling.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someday, I will publish my luxeon simulations, which account for junction temperature across a wide range of current levels.

RussH

Enlightened
I agree with Doug. Note that Hotbeam's MR-X mag 2D(210 lumens?)requires a regulator to stay below 1.5amps. IIRC, He was running one at 2 amps regulated (6xAA NiMH, IIRC), so DD would likely be even higher. Over 2 amps will cook a 5w (2amps x 7v = 14w) in short order. I need to go back & re-check, but my MR-X seems to be operating at about 6.7v to get the 1.5amps. That means that 5 batteries (NiMH) @ 6v is too low while 6 batteries @7.2v is too high. You don't really know the Vf of this Lux5, so my numbers are only intended to be ballpark, YMMV.
I recommend that you try it with 5 batteries (NiMH or alkaline) or if that is not bright enough try 6 & a resistor (1 ohm, 1-2 watt?) to bring it down to 1-1.5amps. Note that a diode (use 1 or 2 amp) would drop about .6v, which would put you close to the 1 amp. with lower losses than a resistor. At 6.5v (diode & 6 NiMH) and 1 amp (estimated) you would be running the 5w at 6.5 watts, a slight overdrive. I would also recommend a hotlips heatsink or the equivalent. Maybe Hotlips will sell you a MR regulator. HTH, RussH

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
Someday, I will publish my luxeon simulations, which account for junction temperature across a wide range of current levels.

[/ QUOTE ]
Darin, I look forward to that. It should be a great reality check for the multitudes here that only selectively read the datasheets.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
has any one put a peltier on a LS yet?

I have one for a CPU that would be awsome :)serious output then have to be tied to 12v SLA but that OK :)

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SKYWLKR said:

I have one for a CPU that would be awsome :)serious output then have to be tied to 12v SLA but that OK :)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, CPF's very own Darin [evan9162] has done it and quite likely was the first CPFer to ever achieve an efficiency of >100 lm/w from an LED. There is an interesting thread on the subject.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Doug S said:
[ QUOTE ]
SKYWLKR said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, CPF's very own Darin [evan9162] has done it and quite likely was the first CPFer to ever achieve an efficiency of >100 lm/w from an LED. There is an interesting thread on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify - I achieved 100 lm/w at 1W input power. It is quite easy to obtain 100 lm/w at extremely low currents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here are the threads where I used a peltier for some luxeon supercooling:

Supercooling a 1W red-orange for 100 lumens at 350mA
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Number=370720

Supercooling a 1W white to see the fusing current of the bond wires:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Number=409507

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Hm... I guess no one has been brave enough to try destructive test with a 5 watter....

I DON'T THINK I AM EITHER :)

but I have some 1 watter seconds that will DIE!!!!!! I need to get or borrow a light meter if any one in the area has one. south LA. I would be willing to drive and even "Rent" one or trade some time with one for parts if no one is willing to loan one for the experiment.

I'll try the 5 watter ,but ain't gonna try and smoke it.