Smallest and brightest rechargeable torch

Tremelune

Newly Enlightened
It seems search has been disabled after that outage, so I figured I'd ask.

My Arc AAA has disappeared, and it seems they've been discontinued. Loved that damn thing. I found one on eBay, but it's $200, and perhaps they're old tech...It lived for years on my keychain in my pocket, so both length and width are my primary determining factors (after which is brightness). I have since replaced it with a tiny MechArmy/CooYoo USB-rechargeable 10180 that would be perfect if it wasn't dim, finicky, and already dying.

I've also become intrigued by the 10440 battery, for which I happen to have a charger, but size of paramount importance.

Is there a AAA or 10440 or USB-rechargeable flashlight out there that can put out some lumens? I'm aware of the Surefire Titan+, but it's a bit bigger than optimal, and I've read that it only puts out maximum output for about a minute before dropping down to half. Those may not ultimately be deal-breakers, but I figured I'd ask. I also had a Fenix LD01 that was fine. Not too big, but...bigger than the Arc...I guess I basically want an Arc 10440 (or 10180 or 10280...).

Click or twist, but I'd like to avoid a twist-three-times-for-strobe interface...I just want it to light up and maybe drop into moon mode when the battery is low.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak was very similar to Arc in many ways, and they still make the Eiger (which will run on 10440)

Peak also had made interchangeable 10180 and 10280 spare tubes for the (10440) Eiger .... No photo handy at the moment, but for years, I carried an Eiger 10180 clipped to my keyring with an AAA in a backup (10440) battery tube.

Last edited:

jimbo231

Enlightened
Peak was very similar to Arc in many ways, and they still make the Eiger (which will run on 10440)

Peak also had made interchangeable 10180 and 10280 spare tubes for the (10440) Eiger .... No photo handy at the moment, but for years, I carried an Eiger 10180 clipped to my keyring with an AAA in a backup (10440) battery tube.

Nitecore tini?

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep your eyes peeled, there will be a mini rechargeable coming out soon with the newer XHP 35 or XHP 50, super floody even with a tiny reflector no doubt, and derated so the tiny battery can provide good runtimes, but with more efficiency and higher CRI than previously available.

Beckler

Enlightened
But the website doesn't seem to mention light output. Also is it continuously variable as it seems to imply? How does it even work. I don't like product pages that omit slightly critical info. :D Reading again I'd say it's just multiple twist to a few levels but that's what OP didn't want...

Anyway I used to look for the same thing but I don't think there are any that put out serious lumens at that size. In any case not like Olight S1/S10 type models which I've switched to now and it's really not too bad on the keychain and you have advantage of being able to clear parking lots. Also see Fenix E15 which I use and is even smaller but annoying twist-modes.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
But the website doesn't seem to mention light output. Also is it continuously variable as it seems to imply?

Up to 425 (emitter) lumens (on 10440 power) ... yes, continuously variable

How does it even work....

QTC

Reading again I'd say it's just multiple twist to a few levels but that's what OP didn't want....

No ... more twist = more output, less twist = less output

Beckler

Enlightened
Ok very impressive then. Know of any runtime graph on how it holds that max output? By how does it work, I just meant the interface. Twist for on then continue for brightness is how all such lights should work! It's nearly ideal, whereas multiple twist modes is basically the worst possible. :D

CLBME

Enlightened
Tremelune- You may already be aware of it, however, the Streamlight microstream is a small light, easily pocketable. Streamlight recently introduced a new version that is USB rechargeable and 250 lumens. Not sure if it will fit your size parameters though. I carried an older version for quite some time.

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a microstream USB from a local cop shop. It's impressive and like all their lights, nice long run time.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hopefully not off topic, but does Peak offer any UI besides the QTC? I emailed them with this question, but never received a response. I'd prefer a simple on/off.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, on/off is available by special (custom) request.To address an earlier question, I don't have runtime charts handy, but these are considered "semi-regulated" .... They do not hold perfectly flat regulation, although there is typically a long slow decline in output.The shape of the output curve will vary by battery chemistry. In the most general of terms, the flattest (through the initial portion) are likely to be NiMH and lithium primary, then next Li-Ion (ICR) , and the steepest decrease ( but perhaps with the longest terminal "tail" ) should be alkaline.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, on/off is available by special (custom) request.To address an earlier question, I don't have runtime charts handy, but these are considered "semi-regulated" .... They do not hold perfectly flat regulation, although there is typically a long slow decline in output.The shape of the output curve will vary by battery chemistry. In the most general of terms, the flattest (through the initial portion) are likely to be NiMH and lithium primary, then next Li-Ion (ICR) , and the steepest decrease ( but perhaps with the longest terminal "tail" ) should be alkaline.

Thanks, Arch. Another helpful excerpt from Encyclopedia Archimedica.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only the MBI HF-R was still being made. The low-medium-high rotating tail with off between each 120 degrees of rotation was slick. I bought 2 of them and gifted one of them after "quality control testing" for 30 days. 600 lumens emitter max output on a fully charged cell at turn on seems accurate to my old eyes. I like to park it in the off position between high and medium so I can quickly select either setting by turning clockwise or counterclockwise. Cotton Picker's 90mA USB charger works great for those cells. Mine is still on the boat key ring. Low is very useful on a boat after the Sun sets.