Headlamp for camping/hiking

shellgrit76

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF users!

I'd like to enlist your knowledge and experience to help me choose a new headlamp. It's been a number of years since I purchased a headlamp - I am currently using an old Petal Tikka Plus 2 with one of the original CORE batteries - I know there are better options available now, but the choice seems a bit overwhelming.

Requirements:
  1. General camping use and some trail walking - not running
  2. Flood/wide beam
  3. Minimal hot spot as possible
  4. More natural looking light colour - based on this forum I recently purchased a Thrunite TN4a in neutral and I really like it
  5. Prefer longevity over brightness
  6. Red LED alternative - wouldn't even mind if it was slightly brighter as I quite like using it
  7. Prefer rechargeable, otherwise AA or AAA (I know there are benefits to using other battery types, but I'm not that much of an enthusiast)
  8. Don't really care much for lots of different brightness settings (and I am considering getting one for my wife too so want to keep it simple)
  9. Budget - its not about price but value for money, so I'm okay spending the money on something if it meets my requirements

Current dislikes with the Petzl Tikka Plus 2:
  1. Hot spot
  2. Light is a bit too white for me
  3. Peripheral vision just feels weird when I have it on - might be the combination of hot spot and the white light
  4. Little bit bulky - the addition of the CORE battery bulks it out a bit more (it's not like the new ones that fit inside the space where you place the AAA batteries)
  5. Not quite as bright as I'd like

Current likes with the Petzl Tikka Plus 2:
  1. Comfortable to wear
  2. Simple to use and click through the options
  3. Rechargeable
  4. I've generally been quite happy with the headlamp

Based on my experience with the Tikka Plus 2 I would be more than happy to buy another Petzl, but I can't help feeling like there's better options out there.

I appreciate that I have a long list of requirements and that it is not realistic to meet all of them. I'd be grateful for any recommendations you have on the current lines of headlamp available.

Luke (Australia)

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your wife, a Fenix HL10 single AAA light. Comes in 3 different colors. The ladies like that. She has the violet. It has 3 modes and memory. Most of the time, my wife just leaves it on the 2nd level. It has a nice neutral white beam. It's very small and light. I purchased an Efest zippered battery case for her to store and travel with. Also room to carry a spare AAA or two. That headlamp replaced my wife's Petzl Zipka 3xAAA headlamp that came with a retractable headband. She liked it because it was small. But she now likes the HL10 as the Zipka has rather outdated 5mm LEDs.

I'd probably steer away from the 3xAAA format as that is a bit outdated and was necessarily early on when LED's weren't as efficient and companies wanted a more simple LED driver where the battery voltage started above the forward voltage of the LED. But there is nothing wrong with 3xAAA headlamps as long as the driver is efficient. I have the Fenix HL25 (3xAAA & now discontinued) and I like it. But it's a little bigger than the single AA or CR123A/16340 headlamps. I'd like the Fenix HL23 (single AA) headlamp if it had memory or if it started on low.........but it doesn't so that one got sold to my nephew (for a good price of course).

I know you wanted AA but there are better options in the CR123A/16340 rechargeable battery format in my opinion. Perhaps the Fenix HL50 that can run off either a single AA or a CR123A battery (but no rechargeable 16340 unfortunately). It has neutral white light also but the downside is that its a single click to turn on the light and thus you have to pay attention that it doesn't accidentally get turned on when traveling / storing it. Also you can't lock it out by just unscrewing the tail cap a little bit because the threads are not annodized.

A better choice would be the Olight H1 Nova or the rechargeable H1R Nova. CR123A / 16340 battery though. Those are now my personal preferences.

Thrunite TH20 is a single AA light that is kind of popular, but I struggled with the tint on both their neutral white and cool white models. I gave that one to my daughter for her boy to use in scout camp. It's still a good headlamp......

Another possibility would be the Fenix HM50R. Not quite as neutral of light as the before mentioned ones but I'm sure better than the Petzl lights you currently have. Once the flashlight companies got into making headlamps, I kind of no longer look at the Petzl, Princeton Tec, Black Diamond companies because I don't think they have kept up with technology as much as the name brand flashlight companies..........but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
I love my Thrunite TH20 NW. Both the light and the interface. I also much prefer single AA to triple A. I like to carry a backup and this makes it much easier. Floody beam.

zerostyle

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite TH20 is probably the most recommended AA headlamp on other forums.

For 1oz heavier you can get the skilhunt H03 (18650) with 5x the runtime, though...does feel bulky, however.

Aaron73

Newly Enlightened
@shellgrit76 - what did you end up selecting? I'm on a similar hunt for camping/hiking and some of your requirements overlap what I'm looking for.

For me - white & red led, lightweight, single AA or AAA.

Thanks for sharing anything you uncovered in your research!

- Aaron

Brightspark59

Newly Enlightened
Thrunite TH20 anytime (at the moment) until the next best thing comes along.

What did you go for in the end?

NoahTaylor

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, it's always better to buy the headlamp of the same manufacturer, the same brand or new one: PETZL ACTIK, TACTIKKA CORE.
It is better cause batteries and spares are compatible.
It is also important to find ballance weight, functionality and price. Do not overdo with superfunctionality/ It is better to have the waterproof headlamp in case of bad weather (Petzl Tikka Plus).

billbillw

Newly Enlightened
Any new opinions on this subject? I have been using a Coast LED Lenser Micro Headlamp for many years (10+?). Although it was never very bright, it was very lightweight, provided a nice diffuse light that was good for walking at night, cooking, finding stuff in my tent/backpack, and I usually could get a solid weekend from a single AAA.

The light has started acting up (the wire between the battery and led is touchy) and I'm ready to step up to something newer. I don't need a torch, but something that is light, lasts 20hrs or more on a battery, and will last. I prefer a wide angle light because I usually have a brighter flashlight in a pocket for distance.

I'd like to stay under $30.

Last edited:

billbillw

Newly Enlightened
Any new opinions on this subject? I have been using a Coast LED Lenser Micro Headlamp for many years (10+?). Although it was never very bright, it was very light, provided a nice diffuse light that was good for walking at night, cooking, finding stuff in my tent/backpack, and I usually could get a solid weekend from a single AAA.

The light has started acting up (the wire between the battery and led is touchy) and I'm ready to step up to something newer. I don't need a torch, but something that is light, lasts 20hrs or more on a battery, and will last. I prefer a wide angle light because I usually have a brighter flashlight in a pocket for distance.

I'd like to stay under $30.

I actually took the time today to cut away the bad section on the wire between the board and the LED, made it shorter, and re-soldered it. The old Coast is working fine again. I would like to find a better one though. Preferably one that is waterproof. The Coast is not.

ven

Flashaholic
Under $30(might be $3 more), i can recommend the skilhunt h03(or if you need colours or inbuilt charging, there are other models like h03r etc)

Anyway, nicely made, decent ano, UI similar in ways to zebra but imo maybe even better for headlamp. L/M/H/T each with sub levels, so 8 total...............hard to not find a close enough level you want. Memory, so click on and comes on in last used. Also handy at night camping, press/hold when off for 1.5s and it locks out with a faint red blinking from switch. Anyway, could go on and on, the neutral is around 5000k to my eyes, clean ish towards a hint of cream. Looks cooler than 4000k anyway, but certainly not as cold as 6000k!. Gearbest i tried after years away, came through good on this one. I only paid £22, think price is £24 now, so a tad over $30 and for the money, i cant think of a better lamp. If i would have paid £60 for it.................i would not have been disappointed.
Next to a zebra on right
EvC24dsl.jpg

Far right
cH2ba9Sl.jpg

h2r is my fav though but over budget, the xhp50 neutral(around 4k) is amazing!

18650 fed, but will run much longer , also decent magnetic base to stick on stuff! Very handy

billbillw

Newly Enlightened
Under $30(might be $3 more), i can recommend the skilhunt h03(or if you need colours or inbuilt charging, there are other models like h03r etc)

Anyway, nicely made, decent ano, UI similar in ways to zebra but imo maybe even better for headlamp. L/M/H/T each with sub levels, so 8 total...............hard to not find a close enough level you want. Memory, so click on and comes on in last used. Also handy at night camping, press/hold when off for 1.5s and it locks out with a faint red blinking from switch. Anyway, could go on and on, the neutral is around 5000k to my eyes, clean ish towards a hint of cream. Looks cooler than 4000k anyway, but certainly not as cold as 6000k!. Gearbest i tried after years away, came through good on this one. I only paid £22, think price is £24 now, so a tad over $30 and for the money, i cant think of a better lamp. If i would have paid £60 for it.................i would not have been disappointed.
Next to a zebra on right

Far right

h2r is my fav though but over budget, the xhp50 neutral(around 4k) is amazing!

18650 fed, but will run much longer , also decent magnetic base to stick on stuff! Very handy

Thanks for the advice. Does the Skilhunt H03 come with a 18650 battery? Not sure I want to get into that. I prefer AA since I have a bunch of Eneloops and a good charger (only for AA/AAA though). I'd have to get an 18650 charger.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i use zebra light, and skinflint and some no name 18650 light that i paid 12 bucks for on internet, and to be honest i like that 10 dollars light more and more as i use it. ui is as simple as it gets, about 400-500lm, on board charger, removal of the light from the holder takes half a second, same time to put it back. the downside it is only availale with cool emitters, but swap is very easy, after i installed warm xml2 there i like that light the best.
it comes in many names, boruit, hedeli.....etc. it looks like that.
here is one that i took completely apart.
http://forum.fonarevka.ru/showpost.php?p=1154938&postcount=282

Last edited:

billbillw

Newly Enlightened
i use zebra light, and skinflint and some no name 18650 light that i paid 12 bucks for on internet, and to be honest i like that 10 dollars light more and more as i use it. ui is as simple as it gets, about 400-500lm, on board charger, removal of the light from the holder takes half a second, same time to put it back. the downside it is only availale with cool emitters, but swap is very easy, after i installed warm xml2 there i like that light the best.
it comes in many names, boruit, hedeli.....etc. it looks like that.
here is one that i took completely apart.
http://forum.fonarevka.ru/showpost.php?p=1154938&postcount=282

I cannot see that post. I guess you have to be a member? Can you link a photo?
Does it look like this one at Amazon?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHGXJJ4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the advice. Does the Skilhunt H03 come with a 18650 battery? Not sure I want to get into that. I prefer AA since I have a bunch of Eneloops and a good charger (only for AA/AAA though). I'd have to get an 18650 charger.

No, but for that price i would not expect it to. Typical cell(good one) is around $6-$10 ish alone.

Preferring AA, zebralight would be worth a look for sure:)

billbillw

Newly Enlightened
yes, @billbillw
it is exactly the light I'm talking about.

Any suggestions on the best place to buy one? Aliexpress? The vendor at Amazon doesn't seem to have the best feedback.

@ven, a zebralight for under $30? Don't see that anywhere.

Seems like the best choices under $30 are the Thrunite and the ones suggested in the last few posts.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any suggestions on the best place to buy one? Aliexpress? The vendor at Amazon doesn't seem to have the best feedback.

i got them on ebay, they are basically 10-14 bucks range everywhere. so not much savings from seller to seller, go by reputation and feedback score.

p.s. there is a version with 2 leds, i never tried that one, also there other versions of such light, that use lens, instead of reflector, and has zoom, and slightly different\simplified body. i was told by someone who bought and tried it, on fonarevka.ru that it's inferior version, with weaker charging circuit.