How often do you actually use "boost"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaseri

Enlightened
How often do you actually use \"boost\"

I'm curious as to how many of us actually use the "full/boost" mode of the Arc4. I don't seem to use it at all really. Maybe every once in a while to show off the light to friends. But not usually in my EDC.

What about you?

machulu

Newly Enlightened
Re: How often do you actually use \"boost\"

Same here. My primary level is set at 4 and it is already bright enough for my needs.

~Stephen

chiaroscuro

Enlightened

I use it occasionally,to light up those stubborn corners of ill-lit high ceilinged rooms, which I get to doctor in my design work. My primary is 3,at the moment(gawd, I love how I can change settings w/ my Arc4).
I also use boost at times during night walks.

jpeg

Enlightened

My standard "hi" beam is set to level three. Yes I know "boost" is higher by two levels, but in my configuration, I don't see in the real world how that small amount of difference is going to help me see anything.
On the other hand, it could come in handy to blind an attacker, and it really IS fun for those CPF get togethers... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

MoonRise

Enlightened

Ummm, use or -use-? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hmmm, light up the backyard with this just because I can? Yup.

Light up the far end of this room just because I can? Yup.

Compare the output to some other flashlights? Yup.

Use boost for close-up work on things? Not too often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use it only when the level 4 isn't bring enough. Usually only 1-2 times out of 10 that I use it.

-Jason

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened

In the office, I don't use boost much. Outside, I use it a lot. I have primary at 10, secondary at 5 which I find perfect for inside applications. Boost gives me maximum range when I want it without sucking the battery dry when I don't.

Anyone else still on their first battery (with nearly constant daily use)?

paulr

Flashaholic

I have primary at level 1 and use it sometimes. I don't like "boost" mode because I don't like having to hold the button down. I'd rather that press-and-hold simply kicked up to level 1 and stayed there. If it did that, I'd probably set my primary to level 3 or so.

JohnJ80

Enlightened

I keep my light on either the secondary or the lowest setting (3 clicks). Then I boost it up if I need more light. So, I use my booster all the time, probably 50% of the times I use the light.

j

Prolepsis

Enlightened

I have my primary level set to one, so I guess I use boost all the time. Or rather, the equivalent of boost.

Useful for walking outside at night. I also change my batteries relatively frequently, whether I need to or not. I put the used ones in an X5 or L4/L5 or whatever. Mainly because I'm using Yuntongs, and I find that they drop (from full) quite quickly.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only use it when I want to impress myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My primary is set to level 4 which is plenty bright and just as bright as an LSHP.

CM

DashingMan

Newly Enlightened

Yup, same here, I just use boost for fun it seems. . .and level 4 is my secondary..around 12 for primary, I like low/Hi, cause i use it in my beadroom and have a room mate.

Mikhail

Newly Enlightened

I turn it to lowest set (16 level) so my wife could use it to check our baby at night. I set primary at 6 level and secondary to 11 level. Five levels aparts in four set . . 1,6,11,16. Actually 1 is boost and 16 lowest set. Love to hit boost sometime to remind myself this light is worth. When I use 6 level and it was still bright enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Radagast

Enlightened

I set my primary at level one, probably as bright as level 3 on firsts. I can't imagine a couple more levels making that much of a difference when you need more light. For boost to be really handy it would need to get much much brighter, 60 lumens and up (unlikely with a single 123 cell. That would be the only light I would ever need (I need a emoticon of Homer Simpson's head when he's drooling over food). I'm anticipating the LS5 and hoping part of Peter's decision to postpone it is knowledge of something better than a lux5 coming around the bend.

Status
Not open for further replies.