Suggestions For Flashlight Testing...

S4MadMan

Enlightened
...I'm not sure where to post this so I'll do it here.

I'm moving to a new office and will have ability to test flashlights in a *completely dark* and controlled environment. I'm looking for suggestions on what type of tests you would like. For instance beam shots on white wall from 10', 20', 50', 100'.

Please advise and I'll try to incorporate your thoughts. Thanks!

I'm also going to start a database of low/med/high resolution beamshots of each flashlight I test. These beamshots should be really nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahaha @ using the new office for testing!

brilliant!

i think you're already on the right track.. just test in increments like you already plan on doing, and adjust them according to the lights' throw i'd say.

maybe even set up a target instead of a white wall.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dan,

The one thing I find missing from a lot of beam shots is a color chart. Everyone is interested in the quantity of light that a flashlight puts out, but some of us are also interested in the quality of light.

Someone does this already, but I can't remember who it is. I'll keep looking.

Another thing that is very useful is a size reference. Some object of uniform size (a basketball) or a scale that can easily be read at 100'.

Tom

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I always like beamshots of stuff rather then wall shots. A messy desk, some trash cans, filing cabinets, stuffed monkeys, etc. I don't find blank wall shots to be a huge help for judging output. Someone did a shootout in an office awile ago and had measured several distances out while the office lighting was on. mammoth shootout Cool Quickbeam still has it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dan,

I still am not sure who regularly posts beam shots with a color chart, but I did find a post where Chris M (Torchreviews.net) posted some shots.

This is what I was talking about.
check this post

Tom