Pr head and a side emitter?

G Pilot

Enlightened
Did I read somewhere that a side emitter needs to be placed higher up in the pr than a high dome? I thought the pr head was made for a high dome only. Also where is that instructional web page McGizmo made for the pr head?

Thanks yall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do believe that a side emitter need to be lower, so you'd have to raise the reflector. I think...

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
I believe this is correct as well. The side emitter will provide more of a flood style beam, the HD more throw. I like and use both the HD and SE in 5W configuration.

G Pilot

Enlightened
I am aware of the differences, thanks./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I really need the link to McGizmo's instructions. I think it shows the build with regards to a side emitter.

BTW What do think would be a better match?
V2T 5 watt SE or an R2K 1 watt SE running off a BB 667? The 5 watt I could use 1 or 2 cells but the k bin might be more efficient.

G Pilot

Enlightened
Well I guess I am wrong (and so are the rest of you). The SE works just fine in a pr head. I tried my X3V 5 watt SE in a pr and the beam was fantastic. It was more flood than spot but still had some throw. I am a flood man myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did someone say that an SE wouldn't work in a PR? They do work rather well, but you have to shim the reflector up a bit more than you would with a HD 5W. I think that's what I did, anyway.

G Pilot

Enlightened
Well no and yes. I heard and thought the pr had to be put up away from SE. I put the pr exactly the same spot you would put a high domea and it put out a very good beam. No moving it at all.

G Pilot

Enlightened
I moved it in and out a little bit, but it only needs a small amount to make a big donut hole. I think it is just fine on the "stock" setting the pr head comes with.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I found early on that all of the LED's worked reasonably well with the PR with the one disappointment being the 1W SE. It was OK but not great. The 5W SE does give a good beam, depending on one's desired photon placement of course. The 1W batwings also give you a nice useable distribution of light. It all depends on personal preferences.

G Pilot

Enlightened
Oh man...that is disappointing to hear. I have an R2K SE that I couldn't wait to put in a pr. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

So what are they good for? Mini M@g reflector? McFlood?

Latest posts