Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

Default Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Comparo

Hello to all of the Malkoff Fans,
    I have started this thread on behalf of peer pressure/help from my fellow Malkoff family .
    The purpose of this thread mainly started because there are always repeated questions of what runtime is on a given Malkoff device/module, and/or particular setup. I took it upon myself w/testing to try to help out where i can and ended up where we are today.

So this thread will be a one of a kind thread providing factual data of actual runtime results, graphed for almost every currently available Malkoff module in just about every configuration possible. this will allow anyone interested to be able to find runtime graphs for any currently available Malkoff device/module all from one location (no more hunting through the Junkie thread).
    I just found a couple of threadsNotRegulated's Malkoff Specs List showing the specs for most every module made since the beginning, and one within NR's thread with vague information of runtime for certain modules.
    These graphs I have made and will be making, will show you exactly how each particular module/device will behave.

Many people ask, "what is the runtime for this light?". Well the answer is not that simple. There are many variables accounted into the runtime of a given module/light. You cannot just say, this light will run for 1.5 hrs. Some multi-cell modules will run near full output till the protection circuit kicks in, some will have a constant declining output, or some may have good output for a given amount of time, then have a fast decline, etc.
    Then there is the case of everyone's opinion on what usable output is. This will be more apparent when you see the graphs.

• A little History of my adventure:

I was turned onto Malkoff Devices at the beginning of 2017 from a fellow member during a simple search for one or two lights that could provide me with more light/output than I currently had from other lights. This snowballed into a quick journey of a small collection of Malkoff devices. I eventually figured out what i wanted to stick with and sold off the rest of my collection. During that time I had done some runtime tests without the proper tools. I then purchased a reasonably priced light meter (Extech easyview 30) and began manually logging the entire runtime of a few certain lights.

As time went on, I kept noticing people asking about runtimes on lights/modules we recently discussed. So at this point (which was just several months ago now) I bought a light meter with data logging capabilities and started data logging my tests on the lights I still had. Okay, that's nice, but people are asking about lights I do not have or no longer have...what to do. In the last few months or so, I believe i have purchased just about every available Malkoff module/device and have been running all kinds of tests on different modules/configurations. A lot of tests have been from requests.

It was kind of a rough start, but I got some help/advice from a fellow CPF member that is no part of the Malkoff community. He helped me with being able to take a light meter and making it so i can directly read lumens along with being able to take the graphs I made from my tests and be able to post them so they are legible. So here we are a few months later and many many hours of testing/graphing later. It has taken me at least a month to get the courage/time up to start this thread.

I only have so much data currently available but it is quite a bit and very informative. This will be a long drawn out process as it takes a lot of time and i am very limited on the time I have available. It will also take some time to get everything together and moved to this thread. This is also the first time i have ever started a thread of this nature. So please be patient as I will be making a lot of changes along the way to make this experience the best I can.

As always, I am always open to opinions, suggestions, etc.. and for anyone curious, I am in no way affiliated with Malkoff; I have purchased most everything brand new from Malkoff/Illumn, and have only purchased some items from the marketplace. I have purchased 3 different extech light meters, DMM's, 100's of various primary cells, etc; all out of my own pocket. I have not had any help in getting where I am (with equipment/modules/devces), and i am just doing this in good faith/kindness to My family here and any future members that join the Malkoff community.
    The only help I will ask for is for advice, suggestions, opinions to help make this as good as it can be for everyone that appreciates what these graphs actually provide.

One last thing before we get started. I do not claim that the lumen ratings given in my graphs are spot on accurate. They are within the ballpark of rated output and are close enough for accuracy for what we are looking at. Also do not focus on the curve of the graphs, you will need to pay close attention to the actual time increment because some of the runtimes are so long that I cannot properly graph the entire run. Which means depending on how I increment the graph, I can change the way the graph physically looks.

thank you for hanging in there for me as i rambled on. (will see about making shorter and more straight forward)

Here is what i initially started out with for test equipment/tools and the SDL 400 which is what i currently use. I have not yet played with the HD450 for testing.

Here is a quick setup/equipment showing current draw on a MDC head. Second pic showing accuracy of meters

Here is my current Malkoff Family. One light missing from pic for testing and some others on the way or on order

Most popular Primary Cells; Which you will see comparison graphs on. and 3 popular Alkalines along with Energizer Lithium and Eneloop Pro which you will also see a comparison graph on.

CR123A Runtime Comparison: Do not judge battery station cells from this graph... Please see newer test posted just below this graph.

Here is a newer graph done on my current Extech SDL 400 meter and all cells are Brand New and bought just before this test to help assure the most accurate results.

2x primary comparison graph.

Here is the Alkaline graph: UPDATED to include Energizer Lithium AA and Eneloop Pro

After all my testing, I have chosen to use rayovac 1400mah primaries, rayovac AA, and Eneloop pro's AA, for all my runtime graphs. the reason why i chose rayovac primaries is because they are one of the top performers but the cheapest of the bunch (besides the cheap chinese titanium cells). Rayovac aa's are the cheapest and offer the best performance. Eneloop pro's offer great performance and i just like them over the standard eneloop's.

Rough breakdown of the process involved in me making a graph

Hope you are enjoying this so far. I will eventually go back and clean this all up. this is just so i did not leave you hanging with nothing but an opening statement
    Last edited by INFRNL; 06-16-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Updated some pics

Default Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - Ongoing Adventure

*NOTE* To view link images properly on a cell phone, you must be in desktop mode.

Note sure where i want to post this:
    The cells I have chosen to use Primarily for my testing are:
    Rayovac 1400 Primaries
    Rayovac AA
    Eneloop Pro
    Energizer Lithium AA
    Sanyo 18650GA 3500mah Protected/KP GA protected
    Panasonic 18500 2000mah Protected/KP Panny 2000 Protected
    KeepPower 18350 900mah Protected
    KeepPower 16340 700mah Protected

I have not tested unprotected cells (maybe in the future)

MDC Series:

• MDC Neutral

​High Mode
    MDC N AA Rayovac
    MDC N AA Duracell
    MDC N AA Energizer
    MDC N AA Energizer Lithium
    MDC N AA Eneloop Pro
    MDC N AA Eneloop Pro 4/20/2018
    MDC N 2-3.2v Head Rayovac
    MDC N 2-3.2v Head Eneloop Pro
    MDC N 2-3.2v Head 2x Eneloop Pro
    MDC W AA Eneloop Pro
    MDC 16650 219b KP 2500 Protected
    MDC 16650 N 3v Rayovac Primary

• MDC Cool White

MDC C AA Eneloop Pro
    MDC C 2AA Eneloop Pro

M31 Series:
    High Mode
    • ​Primaries

M31 Rayovac 1400
    M31L Rayovac 1400
    M31W Rayovac 1400
    M31 219b Rayovac 1400
    M31L 219b v1 Rayovac 1400
    M31L 219b Rayovac 1400
    M31LL 219b Rayovac 1400
    M31LLL 219b Rayovac 1400

• AA

M31 Eneloop Pro
    M31 Rayovac AA

M31L Eneloop Pro

M31W Eneloop Pro
    M31W 2x Energizer Lithium AA

M31 219b Eneloop Pro

M31L 219b v1 Rayovac AA
    M31L 219b Rayovac AA
    M31L 219b v1 Eneloop Std
    M31L 219b v1 Eneloop Pro
    M31L 219b Std Eneloop
    M31L 219b Eneloop Pro
    M31L 219b v1 2x Eneloop Pro
    M31L 219b 2x Eneloop Pro
    M31L 219b v1 Energizer Lithium AA
    M31L 219b Energizer Lithium AA
    M31L 219b 2x Energizer Lithium AA

M31LL 219b Eneloop Pro
    M31LL 219b 2x Energizer lithium AA

M31LLL 219b Rayovac AA
    M31LLL 219b Eneloop Std
    M31LLL 219b Eneloop Pro

M61 Series:
    ​High Mode

• Cool White

M61 MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected
    M61 MD2 Rayovac 1400

M61L MD2 Rayovac 1400
    M61L MD2 18650GA Protected

M61LL MD2 Rayovac 1400

M61HOT MD2 Rayovac 1400
    M61HOT MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected

M61T MD2 Rayovac 1400
    M61T MD3 Rayovac 1400

M61T MD2 KP18350 900 x2 Protected

M61T MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected
    M61T MD3 18500 Panasonic 2000 Protected
    M61T MD4 18650GA 3500 Protected

• Neutral/Warm

M61N MD2 Rayovac 1400

M61NL MD2 Rayovac 1400

M61WLL MD1 Rayovac 1400
    M61WLL MD2 Rayovac 1400

M61N MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected
    M61N MD3 18500 Panasonic 2000 Protected
    M61N MD4 18650GA 3500 Protected

M61NL MD2 18650GA Protected
    M61NL 50Lm Mode

M61W MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected

• Nichia 219b

M61 219b MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected

M61L 219b MD2 Rayovac 1400
    M61L 219b MD2 18650GA Protected

M61LLL 219b KP 16340 700
    M61LLL 219b 2x Eneloop Pro
    M61LLL 219b 3x Eneloop Pro

M61 219b SHO MD2 Rayovac 1400
    M61 219b SHO MD2 KP 16340 700
    M61 219b SHO MD2 KP 18350 900

M361 219b MD2 18650GA Protected
    M361 219b MD2 Rayovac 1400

Comparison Graphs

Hound Dog:

• Cool White

HD 18650 CW GA 3500 Protected High

• Hound Dog 18650 (Neutral)

HD 18650 N Rayovac 1400 Low
    HD 18650 N Rayovac 1400 High

HD 18650 N GA 3500 Protected Low

HD 18650 N GA 3500 Protected High

HD 18650 N 2x Eneloop Pro High

Comparison Graphs

• Hound Dog XML (Neutral)

XML N MD3 Panasonic 2000 Protected High
    XML N MD4 GA 3500 protected High

• Hound Dog Super (Neutral)

​High Mode
    Super N MD1 KP 18350 900 Protected
    Super N MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected
    Super N MD3 Panasonic 2000 Protected
    Super N MD4 18650GA 3500 Protected
    Super N MD6 18650GA 3500 Protected

Low Mode
    Super N MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected
    Super N MD3 Panasonic 2000 Protected
    Super N MD4 18650GA Protected

Wildcat:

• Cool White

v6 CW MD4 18650GA Protected

• Neutral

v6 N MD2 18350 900 Protected
    v6 N MD3 18500 2000 Protected
    v6 N MD4 18650GA 3500 Protected
    v6 N MD6 18650GA 3500 Protected

Comparison Graphs

M91 Series:
    High Mode
    M91B MD4 18650GA Protected

M91T MD4 18650GA Protected
    M91T MD2 18650GA 3500 Protected

M91W MD4 18650GA 3500 Protected

M91BW MD4 18650GA Protected

Last edited by INFRNL; 09-10-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Here is a list of voltages that will be tested. I actually have to alter this chart to show what will actually be tested because i will use an average on Eneloop and Li-ion cells...but it gives you an idea. I will have over 600 readings with all of the modules/lights that need to be tested

Sample of the Specs sheet I am working on

Not sure where i want to post this. Requested by ETC
    Okay, this is what i got with my initial testing of H/L ring on T/HOT

HOT:
    3.2v from power supply: approx 3.9lm
    4.2v from power supply: approx 8lm
    6.0v from power supply: approx 16.7lm

4.15v from li-ion: approx 7.4lm
    6.24v from 2x primary: approx 17.5lm

So it seems that in this particular case, the power supply and actual cell are closely matched

T:
    3.2v from power supply: approx 1.1lm
    4.2v from power supply: approx 5.6lm
    6.0v from power supply: approx 14.5lm

4.15v from li-ion: approx 5.3lm
    6.24v from 2x primary: approx 15.5lm
    8.3v from 2x li-ion: approx 25.7lm

so again, power supply and actual cells are closely matched in this test

With all this being said: @ETC: what cells will you mostly be using for me to get the 40-50lm you are after from low mode? Being the T is versatile, this may be a trick. I can base it off of single li-ion which is what I think Malkoff does. then you will have to deal with what you get from other variations. Or i can set it based off 6v? I'm not sure.

This will be custom tailored to your wish
    Last edited by INFRNL; 07-15-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Just posted some pics to try and get you excited. it is after 4am here, so i need to get a few hrs of rest. I will try to add more tomorrow, but it will be a busy day; so we will see. Thank you for your patience

I will also eventually be posting a chart/graph of actual current draw in relation to different given voltages for each module/device. that is also a work in progress.

Here is my latest graph to give some of the new folks the idea behind all of this:
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-20-2018 at 06:17 PM.

WooooOOOW! thank you very much for the hard work! Greatly appreciate the efforts! Salute to you Sir!
    changing sigline ...

Thank you so much! This is awesome! I have been enjoying your graphs- this really helps in planning trips with my lights.

Excellent, congrats @INFRNL !

I just wanted to make a couple of points early in this thread ....

OP is providing the community here on CPF with his hard work and valuable data, so please be courteous with postings in this thread.

The primary focus of this Malkoff runtime thread will be Malkoff runtimes. All else not directly related to that will be considered off topic, and potentially removed.

Please take extended discussion and unrelated debate elsewhere on the forum, as this particular thread will be moderated to keep it focused as an informational resource.

Thank you all ...
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-15-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thank you guys.
    Yes many have seen the Graphs I have been making the past couple months or so and have also helped with suggestions to get to where we are today. there are several Fellow members that have also helped to get us here today with this thread and i hope you all know who you are. This also Includes one of our great mods who has already spoken.

Without you guys I would have never started this adventure. As you can see, it is a bit rough right now and i did not exactly start it at the right time. Today is my last day of being home and I have a bunch of things to get done.

A quick one liner to let you know why my time here is limited:
    I am an independent owner-operator (semi-driver), I haul a stepdeck/flatbed trailer all over the country and am only home for a decent amount of time, once a month. However I am temporarily on a new schedule doing some dedicated runs; So currently, I will be home 1-2 days a week and every 3-4 weeks i will stay home 1 week.

Back on topic: I'm sure many of you already have seen this, but i just haven't paid attention for whatever reason. I will also be putting this link (actually a sticky) in my op: NotRegulated's Malkoff Specs

I will also be making something similar for my own use but will provide actual approx current draw measurements for various voltages rather than spec'd measurements from malkoff data.

Upcoming I have some results for a member request from badbs101.

Here are the Energizer Lithium single AA results for the M31L 219b:

Here is the updated M31L 219b comparison graph

I think the Energizer Lithium's performance is pretty impressive. Fairly flat and longer than even the Eneloops. The long taper at the end gives a user plenty of warning vs the abrupt loss of power when using CR123. I'm definitely going to build some MDC Malkoffs using 1-AA and 2-AA as a power source.

Thanks again for your time, and effort!

Is a 2-AA Energizer Lithium test in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Here are the Energizer Lithium single AA results for the M31L 219b:

Here is the updated M31L 219b comparison graph
    Last edited by badbs101; 04-15-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by badbs101 View Post
    I think the Energizer Lithium's performance is pretty impressive. Fairly flat and longer than even the Eneloops. The long taper at the end gives a user plenty of warning vs the abrupt loss of power when using CR123. I'm definitely going to build some MDC Malkoffs using 1-AA and 2-AA as a power source.

Thanks again for your time, and effort!

Is a 2-AA Energizer Lithium test in the future?
    I can run the test for you while i'm away today and provide results before I head out for work tonight. I wasn't sure if you still wanted to see them or not. Will get this going now, as i will be heading out here shortly.

Good man!
    Thanks for taking the time and using your coins to do this.
    John 3:16

Here are the results you have been waiting for!
    First off are the M31L 219b 2x Energizer Lithium results

Next up is the Energizer Lithium AA vs 2xAA results

and finally the complete Final M31L 219b comparison with all cells tested.
    It appears that the 2x Energizer Lithiums will provide 25mins more of near full output than 2x Eneloop Pro's.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-15-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Flashaholic*

The abrupt cut-off at the end is the kind of thing I expect to see when a li-ion protection circuit kicks in, but this time it's near-perfect regulation combined with cells that can give up their entire stored energy before their voltage sags too much.

It's like simulating a digital effect, but with analog components.

Whether or not it's a good behavior for a flashlight is a matter of opinion, but it's still cool to see.

--flatline

Another win for the Energizer Lithiums. It's kind of funny to think that no one has really done this type of comparative testing until now, especially the Energizer Lithiums and the M31 Malkoffs.

Thanks so much for your trouble.

Wow, epic thread! I'll be keeping an eye on this! Thanks so much for doing this for your fellow CPF brethren (and sisters, too, natch).

Well I hope for this thread to be a great resource.

I already have a ton of tests done and am continually running new tests as well. I have started moving some graphs over that I have already done. As you will notice on some of my earlier graphs, they need to be changed to follow the new/current format. there are also some errors/typo's that need to be fixed.

Also some of you that do not know, I am eventually going to be making a DIY integrating sphere. I am not sure how this will compare to my current setup/results. If there is a big discrepancy, i will continue all my tests with my current setup to keep all things equal.

Thank you for stopping in and i hope that you find all of this info helpful/useful; I know that the Junkies are getting some answers they need from it. Or at least a better perspective for choices they are/have considered.

Unenlightened

Infernl, I want to add my thanks for all the work you have put, and will put, into this project, as it is a valuable resource for all of us. As you can see, I have been a CPF member for a long time, but very rarely post. I hope this is an indication of the sincerity of my appreciation. Keep up the good work!

Until now, the graphs had been difficult to read in detail, but the links you've provided above have resolved this completely. Fantastic resource! It's a one of a kind gift to the flashaholic community.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

*Flashaholic*

These charts are always helpful.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Thanks fellas.

Got a couple new graphs i think some will greatly appreciate. As long as it's ok, i will be posting new graphs as i normally would do in the Junkie thread and i will also be adding the links in the second post of this thread

MDC Neutral AA Energizer Lithium. I ran this test so i could add the results to the small Alkaline shootout graph

Then we have the Energizer Lithium added to Alkaline shootout graph. I am going to run Eneloop pro to complete the overall comparison.

Apparently i had already previously ran a MDC N AA Eneloop Pro test but i got different results last night.

Previous test compared to latest

Then we have the Final Graph for the MDC N AA Comparison
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-21-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Default Re: Malkoff Runtime Graphs - CR123/Alkaline Shootout (Updating)

This thread is awesome!
    Thank you.

Carry on.
    Death is lighter than a feather, Duty is heavier than a mountain. -Robert Jordan (adapted from the Japanese Imperial Rescript; WWII)

Quote Originally Posted by jarheadgreasemonkey View Post
    This thread is awesome!
    Thank you.

Carry on.
    Thank You, greatly appreciated! Once I can get more graphs loaded, it will be much better. I already have a TON of graphs I need to go through and get posted/linked. and I am continually running more tests to add to everything.

Speaking of which, I have 5 new graphs from today:
    first up is MDC CW AA Eneloop Pro

Next up is MDC CW 2AA Eneloop Pro

then we have to have a side by side

then a MDC AA N vs Warm vs CW. I am not sure why the CW isn't as efficient as it should be

Lastly N vs CW 2AA

Here are the M31 219b Rayovac results

M31LL 219b Rayovac

and the Final M31 Series Rayovac Comparison. I am not really liking the way the graph turns out because of the m31LL 219b results; so I am thinking how I want to change it.
    Last edited by INFRNL; 08-25-2018 at 03:05 PM.

Couple new graphs:
    M61 219B MD2 18650 High

updated M61 MD2 18650 High Comparison

*Flashaholic*

Most excellent, thank you.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

*Flashaholic*

re: M61HOT vs M61T MD2 18650 Comparison

would be neat to see M61HOT on 1x18650 versus:

* M61T on 2x18650

M61T would completely dominate it run-time wise. Which it does already on equivalent cells.

You don't have to test it, as one can extrapolate the results from the existing graphs. Plus it wouldn't be "fair".

So much good stuff here -- thanks for doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    re: M61HOT vs M61T MD2 18650 Comparison

would be neat to see M61HOT on 1x18650 versus:

* M61T on 2x18650

M61T would completely dominate it run-time wise. Which it does already on equivalent cells.

You don't have to test it, as one can extrapolate the results from the existing graphs. Plus it wouldn't be "fair".
    I will see when/where i can work it in I Have a bunch of Hot/T tests completed I think, Just not linked yet
    I am also in the process of fixing these graphs. I think they are ok, but i need to break down the time stamps to be easier to figure out, If i recall correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
    So much good stuff here -- thanks for doing this!
    Someone needed to do it, right... I enjoy it for the most part but there is a lot of work involved to make this happen. It gets frustrating at times, especially now. When i was just posting in the junkie thread it was much easier.

New for today: Old School M91W MD4 18650GA Protected

M91BW MD4 18650GA Protected

M91 Series MD4 Comparison: M91B currently being tested and will eventually get to the M91T
    Last edited by INFRNL; 04-23-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast