Fenix Outfitters        

Thread: New to flashlights - steer me in the right direction!

Default New to flashlights - steer me in the right direction!

Recently I have realized I have never really owned a "nice" flashlight, most of my were purchased from wally world or the like and generally have costed south of $20. I would like to purchase my first nice flashlight and have been a bit overwhelmed with the selection out there. So maybe some of you can give me your recommendations. Here is the criteria I have so far; something bright- I am looking for something that has a nice amount of brightness and also throw, durability- I want something that won't break if I drop it or get it wet (I've been checking out thrunites), my budget is around $100 but that may be flexible. I am looking for a general purpose type light. Something not so small it's a pen light or something so big and heavy like a mag lite, I would like something about 4-6" long and 1-3" or so bell diameter (probably not the correct terminology). What battery type should I be considering? Please give me your recommendations!

Default Re: New to flashlights - steer me in the right direction!

Have a look at the Surefire G2X Pro, 600/15 lumens for RRP of $70.

It runs on 2 x CR123's or one 16650 rechargeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    Have a look at the Surefire G2X Pro, 600/15 lumens for RRP of $70.

It runs on 2 x CR123's or one 16650 rechargeable.
    I'd throw out the Convoy C8 and S2+ if the OP is prepared to enter the world of lithium-ion rechargeable cells. If not, than he's gotta stick with the two CR123As, alkaleaks, or NiMH (which he should get into anyhow...).

For simplicity, I might suggest an AA, 2xAA, or 4xAA light, like my Sunwayman D40A. Nice throw, nice modes, not too big, but not a pocket light and it runs on common AAs (4).

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by bandanabandit1 View Post
    Recently I have realized I have never really owned a "nice" flashlight, most of my were purchased from wally world or the like and generally have costed south of $20. I would like to purchase my first nice flashlight and have been a bit overwhelmed with the selection out there. So maybe some of you can give me your recommendations. Here is the criteria I have so far; something bright- I am looking for something that has a nice amount of brightness and also throw, durability- I want something that won't break if I drop it or get it wet (I've been checking out thrunites), my budget is around $100 but that may be flexible. I am looking for a general purpose type light. Something not so small it's a pen light or something so big and heavy like a mag lite, I would like something about 4-6" long and 1-3" or so bell diameter (probably not the correct terminology). What battery type should I be considering? Please give me your recommendations!
    Email me at SkyLumen54@gmail.com. I think I can help ;-)
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

For starters, check out Eagtac's D25A2. It takes 2 AA batteries, produces up to 450 lumens, and is just a fun overall light.

Flashaholic*

I would highly consider getting a 18650 battery type flashlight as it will give you a lot more options.
    Acebeam L16 is my recommendation.

Good recommendations everyone! Ill look into them.

If vinh can help, you wont get a better performer off the shelf!!! The world of v54 awaits, be warned though...........................the want and need does not get any weaker

X2 on the G2x Pro. 320 or 600 lumens. Tan if you can find it. Tan is so nice.
    John 3:16

What batteries and chargers do you have already? This will really help to steer you in a particular direction because then the $100 can be spent on a single, quality light, rather than having to split it with all the ancillary equipment you will need to support it.

*Flashaholic*

I hadn't realized Surefire G2x Pro upped the lumens to 600. I EDC a 320-lumen version and it's a light, durable package.

15 lumens works a base, good all-around mode with more lumens at the tip of your fingers.

Anything by Malkoff is also a fine choice. His MD2 series lights.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSalt View Post
    What batteries and chargers do you have already? This will really help to steer you in a particular direction because then the $100 can be spent on a single, quality light, rather than having to split it with all the ancillary equipment you will need to support it.
    Right now I don't have anything flashlight related.

I am looking at a Klarus XT11GT..is this a good choice?

@bandanabandit1, I have a few Fenix lights, and I can wholeheartedly recommend any of their products. They recently rolled out a number of products, inter alia the PD35 V2.0, and then today I saw they also released an upgrade to their UC35, also called the V2.0. I suggest you have a look at any of these. I know their PD35 TAC version is still immensely popular, and I've seen very few negative comments on that one, so another one to consider. All are within your requirements, and all of them use the 18650 battery, all have around 1000 lumen, almost all of Fenix's products are IPX8 rated, and are drop-tested from at least 1,5 m. Ok, I know these last figures would fit most other manufacturers out there, but more things that counts in Fenix's favor, is their outstanding warranty and customer service.

Haha! Did I just rave about how good Fenix is?

OP, you asked the right question, "what kind of battery..."

In my opinion, 18650 cells offer great performance in a size small enough for good EDC lights. There are billions of them--that's not exaggerating--for you to choose from.

For me, zebralight SC64 (I prefer a high CRI version, but many LED choices are available) is always at the top of my recommendation list. Premium build, smallest 18650, nice powerful turbo, very efficient on all other levels.

I'll also echo the L16 recommendation from above, with one caveat: make it an L16vn instead. The vinh-modded version is only a couple bucks more than the stock version, and might be the best deal I can think of. It is a perfect holster light with a UI that is truly tactical, and a nice useful throw.

Welcome to the addiction!

Flashaholic

To the OP,

If you are still shopping and wondering what to get - I will throw in the suggestions of the Nitecore EA45S or EC4GT depending on whether you want AA batteries or 18650 power. I own both of these, and a lot of other lights as well like most members here, and will tell you that both are very bright, tons of throw, and high quality in my opinion.

Of course, if you have already picked something based on all the great suggestions in prior posts and other threads - you can always add more and build a collection to enjoy for years to come.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Tim
    More Lights Than I Care to Admit but Not Enough to Stop Buying!

I'm still shopping around. Is there any benefit of going with a CR123 batteries over a standard AA or AAA? Performance or..?

For my purposes (which I forgot to mention would be taking it on night jogs) what lumens should I be looking for? Would like to be able to implement the light and the actual flashlight body as a self defense tool.

So many choices I don't even know where to start, or the "good" brands from the "bad".

CR123 will provide better performance at low temperatures and additionally have a long storage life. But it sounds like long term storage isn't an issue if the lights being used on a regular basis.

I'd suggest a Fenix PD35 V2.0 (2018) --- It is not too big and not too small, perfect size imo.

Has all the modes / lumen outputs to cover everything you would need from a light of this size.

It runs on 1 18650 cell which is more powerful and lasts longer than cr123's generally speaking.

At $70 it's unbeatable... Just get a pair of high-performance 18650's with the other $30 you have left over and you are all set.

Flashaholic

As mentioned above, the 18650 is a great cell, and you can run some very bright & efficient pocket sized lights with amazing run times with one cell, or two if you want a little larger.

+1 on Malkoff and Fenix. Great products and great customer service from both.

Love the Fenix PD35-Tac, five levels of brightness, 1000 lumens, easy to find tail switch with momentary ability, cigar sized 5 3/8" long, one 18650 cell, or two CR123, nice beam and tint, to me. It rocks.

Flashaholic*

I'm still shopping around. Is there any benefit of going with a CR123 batteries over a standard AA or AAA? Performance or..?
    Power density. A single CR123A cell is roughly equivalent to 2 AA cells (capacity and voltage). So basically it lets you have the performance of a 2xAA light shrunk down to smaller than a 1xAA light.

This was a big deal years ago but now a 1xAA light can be pretty competitive unless you really need 300+ lumens out of a single cell light. In that case, a CR123A or Li-ion secondary cell becomes necessary.

For my purposes (which I forgot to mention would be taking it on night jogs) what lumens should I be looking for? Would like to be able to implement the light and the actual flashlight body as a self defense tool.
    The amount of output you require for jogging at night depends on the amount of light already present where you are running. If your flashlight is the only source of light, then the correct level of output lets you see far enough ahead to make proper decisions and has enough spill to safely choose your footing. If there are other sources of lights (street lights, cars driving by with headlights, etc), then your eyes will be adapted to that and your flashlight will need to have a bright enough spill so that you can still place your foot safely even if the other lights cause your footing to be in shadow.

There are two common mistakes when jogging with a flashlight:
    1. using the hot spot of the beam to see your footing. This utterly ruins your night vision and makes it difficult to see any distance even with the flashlight.
    2. using too high an output. If your light is enough brighter than the ambient light that your eyes adapt to it, then it's too bright. You're sacrificing battery life and peripheral vision for no benefit.

Get yourself an inexpensive multi-mode light and take it running. You'll quickly figure out how low is too low.

--flatline

Considering the Fenix PD35 V2.0 as recommended here..are there any comparable lights I should look into to compare it against?

You can’t go wrong with Surefire. I would strongly recommend a Malkoff MD2 hot. Very simple only high and low not overly complicated with having to program or anything. It is one of the toughest lights around and respected builder by anyone who knows flashlights. It also has really good throw with decent flood. Perfect beginner light. Just wait till you get into the customs. Hanko, sinner, Okluma.

Also considering the Surefire EDCL2-T, my question is is it possible to run 18650's in it instead of the cr123's? I know this is probably a noob question. The possible lack of ability to charge the batteries seems like a big disadvantage to me?
    Last edited by bandanabandit1; 05-14-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Also considering the Surefire EDCL2-T, my question is is it possible to run 18650's in it instead of the cr123's? I know this is probably a noob question. The possible lack of ability to charge the batteries seems like a big disadvantage to me?
    The EDCL2-T is not designed to run on an 18650. It requires 2 x CR123, both for the narrower diameter and increased voltage.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

UPDATE: I went with the Fenix PD35 V2.0. After reading reviews (all great), doing the research (it has desirable lumens, features, etc.), and the awesome warranty I thought it made the value of the light higher than the competition I was comparing it to. I am sure I will be happy with this as a first light, and I would like to thank everyone here for their recommendations! I couldn't have made the decision without you guys

PS; use the promo NEWMEMBER20 to get 20% off your purchase.
    Last edited by bandanabandit1; 05-14-2018 at 08:29 PM.

UPDATE: I went with the Fenix PD35 V2.0. After reading reviews (all great), doing the research (it has desirable lumens, features, etc.), and the awesome warranty I thought it made the value of the light higher than the competition I was comparing it to. I am sure I will be happy with this as a first light, and I would like to thank everyone here for their recommendations! I couldn't have made the decision without you guys
    You're welcome, bandanabandit1, and I know you will be happy with your choice. I also bought one of those, and so far it's been a fantastic little light! I also just saw the mistakes I made in my previous message. (Sorry about that. )

UPDATE: I went with the Fenix PD35 V2.0.
    Excellent choice, my very first Fenix is still going strong.