HDS Systems        

Thread: New to flashlights - steer me in the right direction!

Default New to flashlights - steer me in the right direction!

Recently I have realized I have never really owned a "nice" flashlight, most of my were purchased from wally world or the like and generally have costed south of $20. I would like to purchase my first nice flashlight and have been a bit overwhelmed with the selection out there. So maybe some of you can give me your recommendations. Here is the criteria I have so far; something bright- I am looking for something that has a nice amount of brightness and also throw, durability- I want something that won't break if I drop it or get it wet (I've been checking out thrunites), my budget is around $100 but that may be flexible. I am looking for a general purpose type light. Something not so small it's a pen light or something so big and heavy like a mag lite, I would like something about 4-6" long and 1-3" or so bell diameter (probably not the correct terminology). What battery type should I be considering? Please give me your recommendations!

Default Re: New to flashlights - steer me in the right direction!

Have a look at the Surefire G2X Pro, 600/15 lumens for RRP of $70.

It runs on 2 x CR123's or one 16650 rechargeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D View Post
    Have a look at the Surefire G2X Pro, 600/15 lumens for RRP of $70.

It runs on 2 x CR123's or one 16650 rechargeable.
    I'd throw out the Convoy C8 and S2+ if the OP is prepared to enter the world of lithium-ion rechargeable cells. If not, than he's gotta stick with the two CR123As, alkaleaks, or NiMH (which he should get into anyhow...).

For simplicity, I might suggest an AA, 2xAA, or 4xAA light, like my Sunwayman D40A. Nice throw, nice modes, not too big, but not a pocket light and it runs on common AAs (4).

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by bandanabandit1 View Post
    Recently I have realized I have never really owned a "nice" flashlight, most of my were purchased from wally world or the like and generally have costed south of $20. I would like to purchase my first nice flashlight and have been a bit overwhelmed with the selection out there. So maybe some of you can give me your recommendations. Here is the criteria I have so far; something bright- I am looking for something that has a nice amount of brightness and also throw, durability- I want something that won't break if I drop it or get it wet (I've been checking out thrunites), my budget is around $100 but that may be flexible. I am looking for a general purpose type light. Something not so small it's a pen light or something so big and heavy like a mag lite, I would like something about 4-6" long and 1-3" or so bell diameter (probably not the correct terminology). What battery type should I be considering? Please give me your recommendations!
    Email me at SkyLumen54@gmail.com. I think I can help ;-)
    I am happy to realize how happy I am. Thus, a chain reaction of happiness.
    SkyLumen54@gmail.com

For starters, check out Eagtac's D25A2. It takes 2 AA batteries, produces up to 450 lumens, and is just a fun overall light.

Flashaholic*

I would highly consider getting a 18650 battery type flashlight as it will give you a lot more options.
    Acebeam L16 is my recommendation.

Good recommendations everyone! Ill look into them.

If vinh can help, you wont get a better performer off the shelf!!! The world of v54 awaits, be warned though...........................the want and need does not get any weaker

X2 on the G2x Pro. 320 or 600 lumens. Tan if you can find it. Tan is so nice.
    John 3:16

What batteries and chargers do you have already? This will really help to steer you in a particular direction because then the $100 can be spent on a single, quality light, rather than having to split it with all the ancillary equipment you will need to support it.