RofisLight        

Thread: Upgraded emergency light, $25

Unenlightened

Default Upgraded emergency light, $25

I have a couple of Costco 3AA lights that all self-drained their batteries within a year. I need a light that's there when I need it

These are for stationary use, cars, trailer, motorcycle, backup for house. They need to fit in a glove compartment, but they are not going to get carried much when not actively in use. A wide beam is preferred. I'd like the light output to be even over the life of the battery. A battery indicator would be killer, but I am OK with just following a replacement schedule. It needs to provide light for ... that's a good question. Let's say though the night on a medium setting.

Battery type is not a big issue - I don't plan to run out while away from stores, or I can put a spare with the light.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

X_This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).
    China is OK (Can wait for shipping)

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :-)

X___Up to $25.
    I'm a value buyer - I can spend more if there is a good reason to. I'll spend less if I find what meets my needs for less.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
    ____MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)

Fit in glove box

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

Don't care. No brand affiliation

7) What power source do you want to use?

Anything other than rechargeable.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

I would err on the side of caution and say 400+. Really want a wider beam.

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.
    Cool

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
    ____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

___30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

Body or tail, no twisty

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don’t care.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant) or better

16) Storage conditions
    ____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

Battery indicator would be cool, but might narrow the field too much / make it too expensive.

Thanks.

Default Re: Upgraded emergency light, $25

Rayovac Workhorse Pro 2AA Virtually Indestructible Flashlight, RRP of $19.99, put two Lithium AA batteries in it and forget about it until you need it.