Ill Pill type circuit parts explanation &other Q's

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Ill Pill type circuit parts explanation &other Q\'s

I would like to know how each part plays in the action.

I'm sure the IC is just doing a timed switching function?

The Toroid ? Smoothes out the switching? That's the little coil around the ring found in all power supplies?

Just a basic primer on the functioning is what I'm looking for.

I have always made circuits with simple diodes, resistors even a few transistors and repaired a few complex circuits by swapping bad parts, but that's about it and it was all self taught by experimentation.

any other ways to get the basics of simple electronic circuits.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ill Pill type circuit parts explanation &other Q\'s

My background is eng, but not electrical (could never catch on to it.) I found a paperback book at radio shack on "how to build power supplies". It will not make you an expert, but answers a lot of questions and will allow you to make a simple supply if you are interested. Once you have built one, then you realize how good some of the existing CPF versions really are. See Georges80 or sandwich shop, etc.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

I just wanted to mention that I have a very strong understanding of electricity and most principle's and theories.

I teach an advanced computer repair class and have a basic (very) electronics lectures on
Ohms, watts, Amps etc. Ohms law, simple equations and such, series and parallel circuit types (both on the load and power sides)

So I need somthing a bit more indept on the building and desighn

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

The book sounds good I'll try and check it out.

I started making a Air/fuel guage for a car but got disinterested when I couldnt find the LCD display it needed ,but I was basicly just following written instructions. I still have the PCB I made some where. I need to dig it up and see if I can finish it....

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, in my simple terms:

Power from the battery flows though the coil to ground when the switch is ON, building a magnetic field in the coil. When the switch opens, the magnetic field in the coil collapses generating a voltage in series with the battery; al la, boosted voltage

1) The inductor (coil) converts current into voltage.
2) A switch is used to charge up the field in the coil and dump it to V Out many thousand times a second

That's the basic theory. Add in a control circuit to increase/decrease switch duration/frequency, and the out put voltage can be regulated. Add a diode and capacitor to V Out, and you smooth out the pulses to get DC voltage/current.

Hope it helps.....

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Re: Ill Pill type circuit parts explanation &other

your explaination helps out a lot.

How are you regulating the rate of energy dump on the Ill Pill kit?

is the IC hard wired for a certain freq or is a resistor or some other function being used in the kit?

And I asume the Ill Pill Kit does not have the diode/capacitor pack?

so you only get (boosted)energy out of the coil after the circuit opens, correct?

so it is working some what like a capacitor and just building up the extra voltage then release it when wanted at command of the IC?