Time for my first mod - help on a minimag 2xAAA

HesNot

Enlightened
I've been itching to try my first mod (you can't be a real flashaholic until you've done one right?) and I would really like to do something with my 2xAAA minimag. Previous efforts in this direction have not been promising, I think LEDmodsassmall did one that was apparently a real beast, and Inretech will (or used to) be willing to modify a drop in LS to fit but the results were less than encouraging. So....

I was thinking about a 5mm (or perhaps the better 8mm if someone could explain the primary differences and where to find them) and would like something not direct drive, I'll trade some brightness for runtime and would love something along the lines of an opalec type regulation.

I may be over my head, so if any modders are interested in trying something like this I'll happily donate my light and fund the operation.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
We did make a couple of 2xAAA mods by very carefully building the adapter a little smaller and then sanding down the edges so that it would fit inside a 2xAAA case; but unfort - we couldn't use our stock lens but the original MagLite lens with a larger hole in it

The results were not that great, and the battery life was a LOT shorter than the normal 2xAA products

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
...think the new Lithium AAA that are due out this summer/fall would help improve the brightness of the AAA mod?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Re: Time for my first mod - help on a minimag 2xAA

I'm working on moving a Dorcy AAA board into a minimag AAA. I've got a 1 watt
lux on the dorcy board, so the rest is just mechanics. I don't have a lathe, so
it should be interesting.

I ran the circuit at 3 volts and it pushed around 1 watt into the LED. It might be fun.

Daniel