There is a Lux III in a un-modded Arc flashlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
I was reading the Arc FAQ and found :

" ...

Arc Innovation

"First to market single AAA LED flashlight"
"First to market regulated single cell LED flashlight"
"First to market Hard Anodized LED Flashlight"
"First to market Luxeon Star Flashlight"
"First to market High Dome Luxeon Star flashlight"
"First to market LED flashlight with 5 watt Luxeon Star"
"First to market LED flashlight with tempureture monitoring"
"First to market Power Regulated LED flashlight"
"First to market Microprocessor controlled Luxeon Star (<font color="red"> Lux 1 and Lux III </font> ) Flashlight"

"

where Peter puts the Lux III ? Arc4x ?????
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: There is a Lux III in a un-modded Arc flashlig

I think that was a 5W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

So you guys DO read the FAQ... :p

I ain't saying nothing else. There is so much bogus info out about the III that this thread would just get hopelessly mired.

Peter

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

Right about just vague enough to start another paranoid speculation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about just listing the bogus info for us Peter? I am very interested in your insight on the IIIs. Cut through the hype for us, won't you? I promise not to ask any questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter

metalhed

Enlightened

I know I'm new to this, but my understanding is that the Lux III is just a regular Luxeon with a high lumen output and relatively lower Vf. If this is right, then a Lux III would be consistent with the descriptions given of the Arc4x's performance and descriptions of the difference between it and the Arc4+. I doubt Peter is going to bulls**t us about his market innovations. In the absence of any info about a specific Arc product with a LuxIII, I'm thinking that's what's different about the Arc4x. Would explain a lot, wouldn't it?

P. S. Ok...I actually just checked the Arc website FAQ and don't see the reference to the Lux III. Opinion retracted if this was a mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened

The arc4 is the only arc flashlight that has ever been "microprocessor controlled" so the luxeon 3 LED would have to be in some of the arc4 models, not the other models.

The FAQ essentially admits he uses luxeon 3 LEDs in some of his Arc4 models... there's no other way to interpet that statement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

LuxIII's while not nessasarly needed for low powered lights, are still a great choice since you'll get a high flux bin, and super low Vf vs 1W's...

Miciobigio

Enlightened

But .... IF the Arc4x has a LuxIII inside, my question is :

What is the bin ? it is a S /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif? or it is a T /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif? or it is a ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In the meantime i'll click the refresh button , on the fedex.com tracking page one more time ... my new Arc4 2nd is somewhere over the ocean between USA and Europe right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Ciao.

MY

Enlightened

Now we finally know that the 4x has a Lux III - - unless there is a new model that is just about ready to be released? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Come on Peter, enlighten us or this thread will indeed get hopelessly mired. Because the Lux III information came from you, I think that what you want is some PR, which is fine, but it is appropriate to finish what you started.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some of the Arc4 Premiums, standards and seconds have Lux IIIs in them. They are in the minority compared to the Lux Is. No Lux III has been good enough to make it into a Arc4x though.

And yes, I have tried T rank IIIs and no, they didn't make the cut. Here we go..

Peter

cy

Flashaholic

I'm guessing the Ar4x has a 5 watt X bin with a very low VF. I can run my X3T BB750 with 1x 123. At 3 volts it's way underdriven and still puts out 2x+ more light than MM+ TWOK 1x 123.

metalhed

Enlightened

So you're picking and choosing for specific characteristics across a range of bins...interesting. Explains why you don't want to be cornered into saying your products use one bin or another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif I like it.

jhereg

Enlightened

Wouldn't a 5w in the 4x be visible to the trained eye? I don't have a 5w so I haven't been able to verify it, but I thought you could see the 4 dies if you looked closely. It also specifically said "First to market Microprocessor controlled Luxeon Star ( Lux 1 and Lux III ) Flashlight." If the 4x had a LuxV in them, I would expect to see it listed. Can anyone with a 4x tell what they have for an emitter?

stockwiz

Enlightened

I wouldn't think the arc would drive a TWAK with enough voltage to make much of a difference anyways. A luxeon 3 is just a luxeon 1 designed to handle higher current. They only come out to shine when driven at a full amp. Wouldn't make much since to use it in a light that drives it at 500-600 mah because it wouldn't be significantly brighter then a luxeon 1.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, now that The Man himself revealed it. So can we end all this Lux III hype now? I have to agree with Peter, the good Q3 1W Luxeons are just as good as the Lux III's I've seen (TWAK's, TWOK's, SWAK's, SUCK's etc) I don't see a great benefit to Lux III's over good 1W. Intrinsically, there is no difference between the 1W and Lux III's other than the label Lumiled's slaps on the reel. I believe the Lux III's is just an evolution (not revolution) of the 1W parts and whether a 1W or Lux III makes it into Arc4's is really inconsequential to the end user. I just feel that we've raised the importance of the Lux III's to a ridiculous and irrational level compared to the 1W Luxeons.

I guess this is the part where I take refuge behind Gransee and yell "FLAME ON" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
I've seen (TWAK's, TWOK's, SWAK's, SUCK's etc) I don't see a great benefit to Lux III's over good 1W.
CM

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't seen any of those SUCKs yet Cris, how's the tint on them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Peter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've seen them... Roger and Don sent me some T's to make special Arc4 for them. Let me say that I normally don't do this and it was a special favor because I was curious on how the IIIs would work in the full system. Some of R (I) and T (III)s were fairly green at level 16. That makes them seconds in our book. The ones that had a good tint made it to Premium status but a few were seconds because of brightness (not enough). I tried, but none of the 'hot' IIIs could be coaxed into x territory. They just aren't efficient enough.

Metalhed, you are right on the money.

Thanks CM. I guess I had to spill the beans eventually.

To recap, the LEDs we use in the Arc4 must have a good tint and exceptional efficiency. Using a micro allows us to use a wide assortment of LEDs with no or little modification. Having a larger selection of rare parts to choose from takes some of the strain off of trying to get the LEDs we need to make the Premiums. It still drives me nuts though.

Once the LED goes in the light, it usally can no longer be detected as this or that model LED. The flashlight is judged on efficiency and tint alone. For awhile I recorded what we put in what but only to help me in ordering the right bins. Now I tend to order from a few select bins and I track trends by noting the more important metrics.

A bin I have used lately with good results is PW01-QX0J. Before that, we were using PW01-Q3J. So the odds are very high that you got one of those in your Premium. I ask that you please not ask us for a particular bin, this drives us nuts (and we are already busting butt to get these lights just right). Also, I don't make custom lights and we don't talk about what goes in the x's. And I like it when competitors use the IIIs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope this clears up some of the questions. If not, fire away.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.