Computer Trouble: Internet Explorer, favor please?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
could someone do me a favor and help me out with this Internet Explorer problem?

it fails to open. no matter what. currently i can still use my Juno browsers to do the usual.
but Internet Explorer wont open for things like, links via my MSN Messenger, or even if i go right to the start menu and select it from there.

it makes the usual sounds like it's opening, but then it fakes you out and everything freezes for a second and i have to End Task.

any ideas? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Computer Trouble: Internet Explorer, favor ple

Here's something that is worth a try:

Open the "add or remove programs" control panel and click on "add/remove windows components". Deselect IE. Reboot (just for good measure) then repeat the process, this time enabling IE.

No idea if this will work, but it's better than nothing.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your using Win XP try this:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the "Open" box, type sfc /scannow, and then click OK.

This will run Windows System File Checker which should find any problems with Internet Explorer (plus all other Windows protected files) and fix them.

Note, You will need your Windows XP cdrom to perform the above repair

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Don't forget to test your PC and protect it against virus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Maybe, some worms spoof Internet Explorer like Mydoom !
Use spider from Mcafee to test if it's an attack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hm.

i gave it a try x ray. and everything seems okay.

Tyler, i tried that and then i even uninstalled and reinstalled Explorer. still nothing going.

Pascal, my virus scans are turning up nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

i'm stumpeded.

i've now been able to open Explorer and get to my homepage (CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) by selecting "Run As" and running it off my account, but it runs incredibly slow! it's lagging like crazy!

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go Wilders

and Scot's NF
These are good sites with a lot of computer expertise.

Let us know what the problem is when you find out.

Jerry

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I've gotten so used to having aggravating little problems with my old HP Win 98 machine I just run the Restore/Recovery disc to straighten things out. It is a pain having to reinstall printer, internet, Encarta, Winzip, Acrobat, etc, but the troubles are fixed. One thing I won't do again any time soon is defrag. That took almost seven hours the other day.

Saaby

Flashaholic

Here's what we do when people call in:

Go to Internet Options (Control Panel, Internet Options)
Delete your cookies and temporary internet files. Make sure the Privacy and Security settings are set to "Default."

Open Run and type:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
Hit enter, go back to run and type:
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
Hit enter, go back to run and type:
netsh int reset all

Reboot.

If all that doesn't work go in Juno to www.microsoft.com/ie and get the latest version of IE.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

nothing works! nothing nothing nothing!
arrrgghh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

but on a sidenote. that search and destroy program turned up ALOT of things that i am now immunized against. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

ok it's not a solution to your IE problem, but you could try downloading this - it's a great browser that does everything IE can do and more.

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
One thing I won't do again any time soon is defrag. That took almost seven hours the other day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Defrag at least once a week, even more often than that. Not only will it improve performance, it will also keep your defrag times to only a few minutes.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

From where are you attempting to open Internet Explorer from ...... the icon on your desktop, from the Start button in your Program Files, icon on your taskbar?

If your using a shortcut, it might be broken (why, who knows). You could locate the "target" (actual executable for Internet Explorer and make a new shortcut.

Mike

Negeltu

Enlightened

He had to end task on it... obviously it is starting the exe.. otherwise the exe would not be running for him to end task. There is probably a conflict somewhere.