Help Pick an Arc for me--Arc4 second or LSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartoffel

Newly Enlightened
I want to get an Arc flashlight for EDC. I carry a mini maglite now and want to update.

Main questions What is the length and Diameter of the Arc 4?
Same Q for the ARC LSH?

I work in the dark-- Laser Lab. Most of the time I'm fine but sometimes I need to find a screwdriver. Somedays I go without using my light at all. I would also use the light to take the dogs out at night. Sometimes Racoons get in the dumpster scare us all. Again not much use. Since I'm carrying it all the time I may use it for self defense. i.e. Shining light into someones eyes and retreating.

Now that my use is out of the way.

Should I get a LSH Regular or a ARC 4 Second? Are Arc 4 seconds a good deal for me? I love gadgets and like all the brains in the light, so I'll figure out all the intracacies. Does all that still work in a second? Would the only difference be brightness and run time or cosmetics? Is it possible that I'd never even notice barring a light meter or comparision light (both of which I'll never have). Or should I wait 2 weeks or more to get a regular version? Or is there somewhere that has a regular in stock now, but that would be pushing the price limit.

What's the verdict?

Thanks
JP

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can pick up an arc4 second for the $99.00 price then jump on it. It is great light for the money. I am not even sure that runtime will be the variable. It might be brightness. In any case the brightness between the LSH and the ARC4 on high is similar. Certainly within a few db of each other. With the ARC4 being a bit brighter. The beam on the ARC4 is FAR superior under any conditions IMHO. The ARC4 beam is smooth and desen't have the square artifact common on the non reflector ARCs. Reflector vs OPTIC.
I like the Reflector.
The ARC4 gives you instant access to 4 brightness levels.
You will never find that in a ARC-LSH light.
I have both and have been EDCing the ARC4 for a couple of weeks now and I really like it.
Yaesumofo

plc

Newly Enlightened
I also recently had same choice and opted for Arc4+ second.

Reasons:

Arc4+ seconds already use choice LEDs so the chances are low that the LED output is less than a LSH-Premium

Lux output of LSH standard hover around 300 at $99

Lux output of LSH-Premiums hover around 380 at $145

Lux outputs of Arc4+ firsts hover around 750 with ability to scale back to any of 16 levels down at $180

Lux outputs of Arc4+ seconds hover around 600 with some variations, but the chances that they would be below 380 are very slim... plus you get the customizability of 16 light levels... for $99 ?

Sure you might get some cosmetic defects, but do you also plan on keeping your light in a glass box? No it will eventually get scratched up thats why they anodize it and machine it from tough aluminum...

Customizability of Arc4+ seconds is incredible, play with the Arc4 simulator and you will learn it in no time and its actually quite fun

For $99 you can only buy the LSH (no premium) so the lux output is 300 and no customized levels... why would you want that?

Empedocles

Newly Enlightened
I doubt that you will regret picking up an Arc4, second or otherwise, given the choice before you.

But... you already knew that we would give you that answer anyway, right?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion the main benefit of the lsh over the arc4 IS the square artifact in the lsh. My biggest complaint about the arc4 is its tiny hotspot that is MUCH brighter than it's sidespill. This leads to a beam pattern that can be distracting when used close up. If you really only need to 'find a screwdriver' and won't need the light for reading or writing while in the lab then I say go for the arc4 second. I have an lsl-st, lsh-p, ar4+, and an arc4+ second and I think the lsl and the lsh-p are much better suited to close up task work than the arc4's.

My arc4 first is slightly brighter than my second but my second has a whiter tint than my first. Both have inconsistencies in the anodizing like banding. To be honest , the first really isn't worth 85$ more. If a direct replacement lens with diffusion film were available (to soften the hotspot) for the arc4 then I would say don't even bother considering the lsh.

paulr

Flashaholic
Forget about the self defense thing with any LED light of this size. Forget about it with bigger lights too, but if you absolutely can't let go of the idea of using a light that way, get something a lot more powerful than a 1 watt LED, preferably a Surefire M6 but certainly nothing less than (say) a Streamlight TL3. Don't expect it to really work like in the movies either way.

bicoastal

Newly Enlightened
While I am definitely a newbie in this area, I've found the multilevel capability of the Arc4 to be very useful. Level 16 for trodding about the house at 3 am, others for walking the streets, etc.

Can't comment on the beam question, other than to say that I like the Arc4 beam (but I'm not doing close up task work).

Empedocles

Newly Enlightened
Of course......

the TRUE flashaholic advice to you will be to have you buy BOTH of them.

Hey-- it's only $$$$ !!

Judgedog

Newly Enlightened
It appears the 4 is your better bet. I have two of each, and have not hardly touch my LSH's since I got my 4's!!! Looking forward to hearing what you decide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Geode

Enlightened
Kartoffel (sounds like potato in German?)

I am going to go against the tide here because you sound like you are new to the Arc crowd.

Get the LSH first. They are on sale now, and from prior experience, will not last too long. The nice thing about the LSH package is that you get the 2AA adapter for times when you don't want to use 123 cells, and you also get a nifty belt pouch.

If you like the Arc LSH, get the Arc4+ and sell the LSH here on the forums.

Either light you get will be a no lose proposition.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
This thread seems to imply that factory seconds for the arc4 are available somewhere. If that somewhere is the Arc website then I can't seem to find the page. Can anybody point me to somewhere that I could pick one up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
zulu: click here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

to get there from the main page, click on "where to buy", then "factory close outs and special offers" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kartoffel

Newly Enlightened
I got the arc4. I will probably get it on Monday since I am close to AZ and tracking it shows it was in the area on Sat.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

And you're right i may get a lsh but I'll probably get a aaa or aa first.

Thanks for all the help
JP

Status
Not open for further replies.