Will rechargeable batteries shorten LED's lifetime

_MacGyver_

Newly Enlightened
Will rechargeable batteries shorten LED\'s lifetime

Hi all,
Is anyone using rechargeable batteries on LED flashlight? I'm planning to buy an LED flashlight, and I'd like to use rechargeable batteries to save $$. However, I heard that the internal resistance of rechargeable batteries is very low, so it always causes large amount of current, which sometimes burns LEDs out.
I'm totally a newbie to LED flashlight and I'm just wondering, if LED really gets burned out that easily? Your experience will be very valuable to me and be appreciated.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Will rechargeable batteries shorten LED\'s life

Welcome to CPF!

Only if they are already severely overdriven and direct drive. Not a problem with a manufactured light (not modded). In some cases, the opposite is true - rechargeables can cause a LED light to be dimmer. In lights with boost or step down circuits, they'll be fine.

If you tell us what light you're buying, someone can answer specifically yes or no.

_MacGyver_

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the reply!!

I'm considering about mini maglite 2AA.
For the same price range, can I get something better than mini maglite?

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

I'm guessing with a drop in of some sort?

Maglight has NO LED lights.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

What he said.....

The Mag will make a good host for a drop in sandwich or pill, but currently there are no Mag LED lights.

I personally prefer the Brinkmann Legend 2AA as a host, but either will do well. Brinkmann does make some LED lights and a couple of them are available at WalMart. WalMart also carries another favorite - the Dorcy 1AAA LED that sells for just under $6.

Dorcy has several new LED lights that are supposed to be available at Target the beginning of March.

Another brand new LED light that has received a 5 star rating is the UK 4AA/eLED. It retails for $37.50, but is available from Bright Guy now for $20.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

Quote from the eBay listing: "Max. bright for over 8 hours, a continue to give off usable light for another 24 hours while on LED bulbs. (measured by NiMH 1.2V 1800mAH rechargeable batteries)"

Sounds like it should be okay. It would probably be brighter with alkalines (higher voltage... 1.5V vs 1.2V for NiMH).

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

They don't give any info about it, so I really can't advise. Seller offers a 3 month warranty. I'd check their history and if it's OK I don't think that you'd get hurt for the price.