My Muyshondt Beagle needs a friend.

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF - first post!

Ive had my Beagle for about a month, and I really love it. It is generally carried in my work bag, and my main use is 30-45 minute dog walks in the neighborhood early in the morning or late at night.

I am interested in the Fleiger, as it still runs on rechargeables, requires less frequent charging and offers more throw for my outdoor use. Also interested in Maus as a little EDC task light, as the Beagle does not play well in my front pockets.

Thoughts from anyone with a combination of these lights?

Thanks!

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
I have the Beagle and the Maus. I carry the Maus everyday, it is a great emergency light. The high mode is fantastic for the size. I highly recommend it.

I personally prefer the BOSS to the Beagle. I haven't handled a Fleiger.

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
I have the Beagle and the Maus. I carry the Maus everyday, it is a great emergency light. The high mode is fantastic for the size. I highly recommend it.

I personally prefer the BOSS to the Beagle. I haven't handled a Fleiger.

Thank you you for your reply. I am leaning toward picking up the Maus vs the other options from Muyshondt. As popular as the Aeon is, it lacks the rechargeables as well as the output offered by the Beagle. The Flieger May have a little more throw and run time, but it seems a bit redundant given ability of the Beagle .

maus would give me something all its own, and do so at a more attractive price point.

i may check out a BOSS 35 when they come back around. Their (lack of) availability always annoyed me. I had a HDS Rotary 250 for 18 months, and sold it after a few days with the Beagle.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
I have never seen an HDS but they get good write-ups.

I would love to handle a Fleiger and see the throw for myself, to compare with the BOSS with the 70mm body. That said, I'd like to handle a McGizmo Makai and Aquaram too, I have stopped buying costly lights on a whim!

The BOSS are in stock in aluminium. I go against the crowd and prefer this to titanium as it is half the price, less weight and the same performance; what's not to like? It's a torch, not an SR71... If you go for the BOSS, get both bodies and the dust cap, you won't regret it.

Good luck with your choice.

alphaBRAVO

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF - first post!

Ive had my Beagle for about a month, and I really love it. It is generally carried in my work bag, and my main use is 30-45 minute dog walks in the neighborhood early in the morning or late at night.

I am interested in the Fleiger, as it still runs on rechargeables, requires less frequent charging and offers more throw for my outdoor use. Also interested in Maus as a little EDC task light, as the Beagle does not play well in my front pockets.

Thoughts from anyone with a combination of these lights?

Thanks!

What did you end up going with? I have a Beagle on its way and while pocketable understand it's an unwieldy EDC.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't be buying another Muyshondt unless Enrique will build better quality lights given his price point. The Flieger is certainly a good light but you want the prototype not the production. The prototype was aluminum but a very solid build. I had it and a titanium production but the production doesn't have a memory mode and you have to cycle through the modes from low to high. The warranty is not a lifetime and it should be. The Flieger's impressive 700+ lumens sounds good and is definitely better than the Beagle with great runtime but you can't run just any 18650 batteries in it and I have a much less expensive light from First-Light USA (lifetime warranty and you can do rechargeables) that has more functions than the Flieger and more carry friendly, plus the Fliegers beam won't outperform the TMax Pro and the folks at First Light AND HDS will look after you.
About the same price point is the HDS 250 or now 325 New Long Throw xpg-3. reach for the beam on the 250 is over 140 meters.
I did some videos on the First Light and the HDS (YouTube) but I think I deleted the Flieger

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hows then 325 long throw compare to the tmax pro in throw and tint? Which rechargables are you using in the tmax? Rcr123a or 16650?

Check out Peak Led if you want something small. They take rechargables too. If you want an 18650 cell light I'd second the HDS in 18650 format. I like Enriques lights but they are too fancy for me. Im scared to scratch them up.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hows then 325 long throw compare to the tmax pro in throw and tint? Which rechargables are you using in the tmax? Rcr123a or 16650?

16340x2 700ma haven't been able to get a 16650 but you need 6 volts for the Tomahawk and especially for the TMax. 1 battery at 3 volts isn't enough and shortly sends the light to lockout mode.

The tint on the TMax is a VERY useful beam. Henry's design in the HDS 250 will give the 425 lumen Tomahawk a run for its money but the cool tint of the 250 (unless you get lucky) renders it useless compared to the Tomahawk.
The 700 lumen T Max? Forget it, It's out of HDS' league for both the 250 and the 325. The HDS wins on simplicity and user not having to think. The TMax has several functions and secondary leds and now has a press and hold ui rather than press on let off and press on again to change modes or light level.
First light has an excellent carrying system that is flexible. HDS is very limited. They are both unique in their own ways.

[/QUOTE] Check out Peak Led if you want something small. They take rechargables too. If you want an 18650 cell light I'd second the HDS in 18650 format. I like Enriques lights but they are too fancy for me. Im scared to scratch them up.[/QUOTE]

I have a titanium aeon mk1 but that's all I ll have from Muyshondt. They have the potential to do much better ie better runtime, programming capable, etc... and if you're overseas forget customer service they don't do international!

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
What did you end up going with? I have a Beagle on its way and while pocketable understand it's an unwieldy EDC.

Funny to log in and see this post pop back up to the top.

As I type, I have the Ti Maus on my key chain and the Ti Flieger next to me in my work bag. The Beagle usually gets dropped into a pocket on the weekend, or grabbed off my nightstand if I need some serious light inside the house.

Flieger gets the most use. I use it about 1.5 hours/ day in the fall and winter, and maybe 45 minutes at night during spring and summer. It is my dog walking light. It really outthrows the Beagle, but Beagle is unbeatable at close to medium distance (think back yard or basement). Aside from the better throw, the battery life of the Flieger is also much better.

I still don't have a Aeon, but between the outdoor/bag light, the indoor/pocket light, and the key chain light, I think I am pretty well covered.

As for putting the Beagle in your pocket, I hated the use, feel, and function of that clip, so I removed it and just slip the beagle into a Tall Keychain Tool Sheath from Urban EDC Supply. It is a perfect fit, and a fraction of the price of the Muyshondt sheath.

alphaBRAVO

Newly Enlightened
Funny to log in and see this post pop back up to the top.
As I type, I have the Ti Maus on my key chain and the Ti Flieger next to me in my work bag. The Beagle usually gets dropped into a pocket on the weekend, or grabbed off my nightstand if I need some serious light inside the house.

Flieger gets the most use. I use it about 1.5 hours/ day in the fall and winter, and maybe 45 minutes at night during spring and summer. It is my dog walking light. It really outthrows the Beagle, but Beagle is unbeatable at close to medium distance (think back yard or basement). Aside from the better throw, the battery life of the Flieger is also much better.

I still don't have a Aeon, but between the outdoor/bag light, the indoor/pocket light, and the key chain light, I think I am pretty well covered.

As for putting the Beagle in your pocket, I hated the use, feel, and function of that clip, so I removed it and just slip the beagle into a Tall Keychain Tool Sheath from Urban EDC Supply. It is a perfect fit, and a fraction of the price of the Muyshondt sheath.

Nice! Appreciate your thoughts and insight. Was the clip tearing up your clothes? Does your Beagle roll everywhere without it, or do you always keep it sheathed? I'll keep EDC's in mind. Which battery's been best for your use?

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned them all and, for me, the Aeon Mk III is my favorite EDC. It's about 2-1/2 times more powerful than the Maus and yet still very small. I also much prefer the Aeon's tail switch over the twisty. IMO the Beagle and Flieger are not suitable for (pants)pocket carry. And fyi no self respecting woman will sleep with a man who wears a holster with a flashlight in it.

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
I never said holster...

The sheaths from Urban EDC Supply are similar to what you might use for a small slip joint knife. They flatten out the round cylinder a bit, but mostly they keep the lights from banging around with stuff in your pocket or bag.

The Flieger is not a pants pocket light. Jacket or bag as intended. Beagle is tough in a front pocket, but fine in a side pocket like you might have in Carhartts or cargo shorts. Maus happily bangs around on the key chain.

The batteries I use both come from Enrique - his 18350 and his 18650. I've used cr123's in the Beagle in a pinch. My preference has been the Flieger/18650, because as stated, my use is daily and for an extended period of time. I was recharging the battery on the Beagle every other day, because I really needed at least level 4 for outdoor use. The Flieger, with its better throw, runs outside on level two and I can go a month between charges.

The rechargeable format is what puts the Flieger/Beagle ahead of the Aeon for me, and the key chain format is what puts the Maus ahead of the Aeon (for me). There is also a similar design language across the three lights that I really appreciate.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Muyshondt sells some very fancy metals, and it sounds like he is using some very nice LEDs

I hope some of you that own them, will post some photos for me to enjoy vicariously. Photos that also show relative beam color would be appreciated.. here is a suggested photo strategy and layout:

1. fold a piece of printer paper, and line up a few lights, warmest to the left
2. use daylight white balance, or a cell phone, indoors near a bright window (but not in direct sunlight) during the day
3. please include one cool white light for reference:

one of my best beam color photo examples:
28rn0wZ.jpg

That Titanium Rotary is my favorite EDC, atm
I use 18350 IMR cells, that have a higher capacity, and cost 1/3 as much as the ones Muyshondt sells...
(pm me if you want a link, unaffiliated)

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enrique doesn't offer me anything to be proud of and as a whole, having dealt with "company" I ve determined arrogance is a major factor and not beneficial at all. He is building what HE wants to build how he wants it and it doesn't matter what the customer thinks. I don't believe everything is USA made either and the led in the Flieger if I remember correctly is the xpl and though a decent tint its nothing special. It's the reflector design and the output that gets the beam out there but again there are a few other contenders out there.
The aeon and the Flieger were the only 2 I cared for but the Fliegers design is wasted. Slick lines and turning, no grooves or knurling? No clip, lanyard, or way to keep it from getting lost or dropped unless you build something yourself... ( which I did). 5 functions via Clicky switch and not programmable.

I think also the prototype was built better and they shouldn't have changed what was.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the Muyshondt lights can be polarizing. I enjoy mine, and carry one every day.

Here is a beam shot that was requested above. Flieger, Beagle, Maus, Olight S1R.
wwTRssC.jpg

And here is a picture of the Flieger and Beagle, in hand, living in their leather slips.

aK6UUWX.jpg

And the Maus, on my keys.

QoOJaig.jpg

Wow! I love the tint of your lights, especially the Pink Maus :)

thanks for the excellent photos!

Regardless of the personality of the seller, and my price point challenges, it is great to see those designs. I find them very beautiful, and the Beagle has a very unique LED array, that I like very much.

congratulations on your accumulation of functional art

Jfowler

Newly Enlightened
My PMs are not going through.

The slip on the Flieger is a hacked Urban Sidekick sheath. That sheath comes with a pen loop, which immediately looked ridiculous to me. A big scissor took care of it.

Latest posts