Gransee: New product option?

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, I think someone may have asked before, but I couldn't find the thread, so I'm going to ask here:

Will you be willing to sell the Arc-AAA and Arc-5 circuits as a sort of step-up power module? You can seal it in hard cast plastic so that your circuit design will be safe from prying eyes and just have input and output terminals. Then hobbyists like us can convert standard flashlights to LED driven lights with minimum fuss. Just sort of plug it in, between the LED and the power supply.

I confess that I sorely have need for something like this for a number of projects (and, I believe, so does X-CalBR8), but the best I can do at the moment is an obsolete IC coupled to 2 discrete components. And this poor circuit is only about 60% efficient and limited to 40mA output.

Or maybe, if you aren't willing to offer it as a new product line, perhaps you can see some way to just encase some of the units that you are currently making and sell them as is? Just as a sort of favour/special for the hobbyists on this forum?

Thanks for considering this request.

Mike

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested also.
grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a module could be made. It would have 3 wires and be potted in epoxy. It definately would not be a top seller though (only a few requests have been made). But, I'll do it because I am an experimenter too.

And BTW, I don't assume that the Arc circuit is the best out there, just meeting a request that is all.

We are pretty busy with the Arc-AAA and the new Arc-5 for the next month or so. The module will be on the list.

Peter

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
But, I'll do it because I am an experimenter too.

Peter
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BRILLIANT !!! You are a good guy!
What great news! Put me down for a couple.
Any idea on the price?....
I KNEW you would come through!!
I just didn't expect it so soon.
I would much rather have yours than the Brinkman "head" etc. etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
I don't assume that the Arc circuit is the best out there
Peter
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be a Judy Garland...
smile.gif

KenBar

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter, You're the best!
smile.gif
Put me down for 3 Arc-5 modules and 4 Arc-AAA type modules. (If they are different circuits, which I assume they are given the difference in input and output for each model). And that's just for now.
tongue.gif
Any idea on pricing? And date of availability?

I already have a place for 1 in the Baygen Freeplay Supernova upgrade project (that will need the Arc-5), 1 for the Freeplay radio developement (Arc-AAA), 1 for the UKE2AAA light I passed to my brother....
grin.gif

KenBar put it down exactly in words. Your's is currently the best circuit out there. The Night Pearl LED bulb might come in a close second, but I really doubt it and besides, those people want me to order 100 bulbs, untested and sight unseen. No way! And I need more than just 1 LED for some of the things I intend to build.

I've got a reservation for the Arc-5 with all the trimmings, and I intend to get a couple more Arc-AAA when they get "back on the shelves" to give as gifts. I can see there will be quite a large expense on my account in a couple of months.
frown.gif

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, this was mentioned by Gadget in another thread, with regard to the cost of the module:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I'll be very interested to see how much Peter will have to charge for the modules. From a manufacturer's standpoint, little batches cost more to make than big ones. Setup costs have to be absorbed by the whole run and a little run means more "setup cost" per unit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I have to say that I'm not looking for any fancy trimmings or good looks. Just grab a couple from the assembly line after the SMDs have been soldered in place before it is assembled in to the head and pour some epoxy over it. Or if you feel that is too much trouble, then just send it as is, straight off the assembly line.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
Alternatively, send them all to me and I could do the epoxy for you before sending it off to the other hobbyists.
grin.gif

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>

But it is not really a small batch as such. Just that he produces the circuit boards as he normally does, but instead of assembling it in to the head, just embalm it in epoxy with the leads sticking out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
------------------------------------------
This would be great for me.
I could then attach it to a tiny chink of circuit board for strength IF needed.

My experience with epoxy ( I do it with most everything to keep things from shorting ) is that solid wires have a short life.

Stranded wire lasts much longer. This way if you wanted micro size, you could be careful and RE-epoxy to inside of reflector etc etc or attach to board and then put heavier wires for more strength, repair etc.

I have made a few SatCure circuits by laying the parts on wax paper to try and get the whold thing tiny to fit into things.

I am grateful!!! ...these are just suggestions to try and keep cost/size/handling down to a minimum so what we do pay goes rightfully to development costs.

I look forward greatly to future threads showing how you used the Grandsee module....especially Gadget, Steelwolf, Xcalbr8 and many more I can't remember handle....we may even get destruction man into this !
smile.gif

Any thoughts on what we could call it?

Mike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gransee!!! I'll be looking forward to playing with your arc-5 circuit!
smile.gif