NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        

View Poll Results: Would you buy an HDS in natural HA?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heckin' yeah!

    39 62.90%
  • Yes, but only if the colors match

    15 24.19%
  • No. Paint it Black!

    8 12.90%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 262

Thread: HDS Natural HA

  1. #181
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    3,619

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    It goes to Henry being a perfectionist...This also brings us around to natural HA, HE won't accept mismatched parts at this point. He just won't. .. a point in which an argument (more a friendly discussion) will ensue between him and I.
    I'm a perfectionist. I understand Henry. Well, I don't understand what would possess a man to walk willingly into a large, cavernous, naturally occurring tomb (I'm not sure I'd even go exploring near a cave), but at least I get the perfectionism. He has standards for his product, regardless of our hobbyist idiosyncrasies. I hope that he will be open to reason when the time comes to argue.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  2. #182

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    Or maybe they will all ship with matching ano and people will need to trade around to get the classic Surefire mismatch look?

    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

  3. #183

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

  4. #184
    INFRNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bottom Of Pikes Peak
    Posts
    2,107

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Has it ever been mentioned of how many will be available if this goes through? I know Hogo said a very small batch, smaller than the other runs. My initial guess is 15, only 13 available to the 30 second sale

  5. #185

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
    Has it ever been mentioned of how many will be available if this goes through? I know Hogo said a very small batch, smaller than the other runs. My initial guess is 15, only 13 available to the 30 second sale
    We have 20 sets of parts, so my guess is 15... if they turn out nice. If they don't, Henry and I will fight about it and I'll get them offered up anyway. Interesting to note that they will have aluminum natural HA bezels as well. We don't even plan to proceed with the anodizing for a couple months. We have had another project on the back burner that we want to get done first and Henry and I agreed that we wouldn't make our own brass, bronze, and titanium lights until it was finished... and I want my brass, bronze, and titanium lights!
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

  6. #186
    INFRNL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bottom Of Pikes Peak
    Posts
    2,107

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    I can imagine. Thanks for the clarification.

  7. #187
    Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,465

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Oh I love back burner projects. They always seem to be the most exciting.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  8. #188
    Flashaholic* Lithium466's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    QC
    Posts
    884

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    Interesting to note that they will have aluminum natural HA bezels as well.
    THAT is interesting ! Will we see aftermarket Al bezels too? Anodized or not, like in the good old days?

  9. #189

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    THAT is interesting ! Will we see aftermarket Al bezels too? Anodized or not, like in the good old days?
    No. We only had them done for this run.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

  10. #190
    Flashaholic* Lithium466's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    QC
    Posts
    884

    Default Re: HDS Spring Cleaning

    Too bad. But yeah, they have no practical interest vs Ti or Stainless, just a few grams less and less resistant.

  11. #191
    Flashaholic* emarkd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Since Zebralight got mentioned regarding anodizing colors, I might have some insight. Yes they match well now but that wasn't always the case. In years past they came out more greenish with a lot more variation in color, but nowadays are quite uniformly gray. I saw a discussion on this somewhere (not specifically about Zebralight, general anodizing talk), wish I could find it again, and the writer attributed this to very small variations and inclusions in the aluminum alloy. Not sure if true, but he blamed Chinese metal shops quality control. His claim was that high quality aluminum from places like Alcoa goes greenish but cheap Chinese aluminum goes grayish. Again, I dont know if that's true but I do know that Zebralight used to brag about using Alcoa aluminum and something has definitely changed. Maybe they don't anymore?

    Lots of speculation there, sorry. Basically the claim is that in order to guarantee matching natural ano, you could go with cheaper Chinese aluminum...which I'm quite certain is a non-starter for HDS. Personally I much prefer the older Zebralight finishes that didn't match as well. I'd rather have greenish with some personality than solid matching gray.

    PS: Not trying to make this a condemnation of Chinese products. There's probably high quality aluminum made in China, and there's probably cheap aluminum made in the US. Just an attempt at an academic discussion.....

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  12. #192

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    Since Zebralight got mentioned regarding anodizing colors, I might have some insight. Yes they match well now but that wasn't always the case. In years past they came out more greenish with a lot more variation in color, but nowadays are quite uniformly gray. I saw a discussion on this somewhere (not specifically about Zebralight, general anodizing talk), wish I could find it again, and the writer attributed this to very small variations and inclusions in the aluminum alloy. Not sure if true, but he blamed Chinese metal shops quality control. His claim was that high quality aluminum from places like Alcoa goes greenish but cheap Chinese aluminum goes grayish. Again, I dont know if that's true but I do know that Zebralight used to brag about using Alcoa aluminum and something has definitely changed. Maybe they don't anymore?

    Lots of speculation there, sorry. Basically the claim is that in order to guarantee matching natural ano, you could go with cheaper Chinese aluminum...which I'm quite certain is a non-starter for HDS. Personally I much prefer the older Zebralight finishes that didn't match as well. I'd rather have greenish with some personality than solid matching gray.

    PS: Not trying to make this a condemnation of Chinese products. There's probably high quality aluminum made in China, and there's probably cheap aluminum made in the US. Just an attempt at an academic discussion.....

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    The aluminum, and where it is sourced, does effect anodizing. The best way to get uniformity is to make sure all the parts are made from the exact same stock, which is what we did. Another thing that seems to make a difference is where in the tank each part is, so these lights will have the aluminum parts assembled together, then kept together through the entire process... a production nightmare, but should ensure matching ano on all parts.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

  13. #193

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    I wish there was a chance to do two separate runs of Nat HA. One matched, and the other just random. I’m assuming the cost of random would be lower because you guys don’t have to go through all the trouble of keeping everything together in sets. I get the impression many here wouldn’t mind or might actually prefer random slightly miss matched anodizing. Not sure how I feel about the aluminum bezel though...

  14. #194
    Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,465

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    I had to go back and read a bit. Are you saying that Henry is go to put an aluminum bezel on some of his lights? aluminum?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  15. #195
    usdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In the Sticks
    Posts
    1,291

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    @emarkd
    Not meaning to get into foreign made condemnation while there are goods in “other” lands good quality there is also a LOT of crap. There are many different alloys, and percentages with aluminum, stainless, etc. we in the us have a lot of high quality gear hence the price. Get the metal somewhere else pay a cheaper price including shipping and you have s crap. I ve recently some research as to why paint coatings don’t bond well to a particular product I m interested in and looking into it I believe the stainless is sourced abroad. The stainless although strong enough for what it’s used for will not bond to some coatings properly. Bead blasted is gorgeous and some ano will take but for painted, forget it. That leaves us with limited choice and overall a very high profit margin for the maker, the sourcer, and the dealer.
    I’d rather keep my stuff sourced and made right here in the good ol US of A. You know better what you are getting.
    Don’t Tread On Me

  16. #196
    Flashaholic* Johnnyh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I had to go back and read a bit. Are you saying that Henry is go to put an aluminum bezel on some of his lights? aluminum?
    I think aluminum for the natural HA run...presumably so it can be anodized with the rest of the light...?
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

  17. #197

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Any rough idea as to when orders can be placed for the natural HA run? Just trying to figure out how much time I have to recoup my "toy fund" since the purchase of my Ti Rotary.

  18. #198

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by AR_Shorty View Post
    Any rough idea as to when orders can be placed for the natural HA run? Just trying to figure out how much time I have to recoup my "toy fund" since the purchase of my Ti Rotary.
    minimum 2-3 months.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather Please do not post or PM me requests for HDS Systems, Inc. Those need to be emailed directly to HDS. Posted or private messaged special requests will be summarily denied.

  19. #199
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    3,619

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    I'm lukewarm on the idea of an aluminum bezel. Would it be possible to order one with a black steel bezel instead of aluminum? Or would that just mean an additional purchase?
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  20. #200
    Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,465

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    minimum 2-3 months.
    And is there anyway you can give us a ballpark number as to what they will run? 100 dollars over standard 200 over standard. Something like that. Thanks
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  21. #201
    Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,465

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I'm lukewarm on the idea of an aluminum bezel. Would it be possible to order one with a black steel bezel instead of aluminum? Or would that just mean an additional purchase?
    Ya no way would I keep an aluminum bezel on my HDS.thats nuts the way I use um.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  22. #202
    Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,465

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    I have missed out on all the special runs due to Financial reasons so now that we are going to get some time I DO NOT want to miss this HA run.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  23. #203
    Flashaholic* emarkd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    1,175

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Well I for one am excited about an aluminum bezel. Big weight savings in a part that's generally overengineered for how I use mine.

    So if I mess around and miss out on this sale, someone trade me their aluminum bezel for my steel.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  24. #204
    Flashaholic* Slumber Pass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Alamo City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    Well I for one am excited about an aluminum bezel. Big weight savings in a part that's generally overengineered for how I use mine.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I believe Oveready had some acme threaded aluminum bezels for sale. I don't see them on the site now, but who knows...maybe there's a few sitting around over there.

  25. #205
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    3,619

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by emarkd View Post
    Well I for one am excited about an aluminum bezel. Big weight savings in a part that's generally overengineered for how I use mine.

    So if I mess around and miss out on this sale, someone trade me their aluminum bezel for my steel.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    When I hold an empty steel bezel by itself, it feels like it weighs nothing. Obviously, the aluminium version would a little lighter, but were talking just a few grams. Doesn't seem like a meaningful difference.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  26. #206
    Flashaholic* thermal guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    3,465

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Yep I bet you can tell the difference in weight but just.im sure they are using aluminum so they can anodize it because using a soft material on the hot spot for drops doesn’t sound like an hds move to me.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

  27. #207

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Yep I bet you can tell the difference in weight but just.im sure they are using aluminum so they can anodize it because using a soft material on the hot spot for drops doesn’t sound like an hds move to me.
    The tailcap seems to survive just fine despite being aluminum.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

  28. #208

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    The tailcap seems to survive just fine despite being aluminum.
    That is true.

  29. #209
    Modernflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dirty Dirty South
    Posts
    3,619

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Dan View Post
    The tailcap seems to survive just fine despite being aluminum.
    Actually, I wish for a steel tail cap. I don't mind wear marks on a user flashlight, but I don't like the way aluminum deforms.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

  30. #210

    Default Re: HDS Natural HA

    Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Actually, I wish for a steel tail cap. I don't mind wear marks on a user flashlight, but I don't like the way aluminum deforms.
    Funny you should bring that up. I have asked for steel tailcaps a few times in the various suggestion threads but there's never been much interest. It's mostly an aesthetic desire though as I think matching bezel and tailcap would look nicer than worn aluminum. I doubt there would be a practical difference for durability.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •